• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis comics & how they grade

107 posts in this topic

You guys all want to see an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=49358&enlarge=0

NM 9.4 right? Look and read closer. :tonofbricks:

Wow. That is ridiculous.

I assume they may have just left the Q (Qualified) off?

No, I think Metro just totally disregards major issues like that when it comes to assigning a grade. No "Q" I've ever seen either.

Qualified is a CGC thing. Obviously Metro doesn't disregard it as it is mentioned in the text and the book is majorly discounted from the NM price.

I've been annoyed by the fact that they do not have some consignment items in hand when they sell them, and then take 3 weeks to ship, but their grades have been either spot on or off by 1/2 a grade which I consider, in most cases, the opinion space.

Qualified is a CGC thing. Obviously Metro doesn't disregard it as it is mentioned in the text and the book is majorly discounted from the NM price.

Then what are they using to grade with, a Ouija board?

If it's CGC, then you need a Qualified with a notation for the major defect, and if it's OS, then no way a 1/2 ripped-out cover qualifies as a NM 9.4.

Then what are they using to grade with, a Ouija board?

If it's CGC, then you need a Qualified with a notation for the major defect, and if it's OS, then no way a 1/2 ripped-out cover qualifies as a NM 9.4.

It's an old school way of saying "Qualified" without saying "Qualified" because the term didn't exist under the old OS guides. I've seen many dealers do the same thing, i.e. book is NM (note 2" corner crease) and then price it as a 7.0. They want you to know that the book presents like a NM but it has the one major flaw; hence the price.

Between the stated grade, the picture, the noted defect, and the price, they are being very clear on what to expect if you buy the book.

Between the stated grade, the picture, the noted defect, and the price, they are being very clear on what to expect if you buy the book.

Wouldn't it just be easier to GRADE IT PROPERLY? doh!

This is not a corner crease buddy, but a partially detached cover with a big rip on the spine.

This.

This is not a corner crease buddy, but a partially detached cover with a big rip on the spine.

It is graded properly. There are at least two ways to present the condition of this book; both are honest. Way 1 is to grade it including all its defects and then say, "But it presents much nicer!" The 2nd way is to do what Metro does. The 3rd way is to put a Q after the NM for those unable to understand the lowered price and the description.

It is graded properly.

Do you work for Metro? Seriously, the only person who could think this book was "graded properly" is an employee.

I have bought a LOT of books and I have never seen a comic with a detached cover and "NM" sticker on it. That's just insanity, and here are the pertinent comments from Overstreet:

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM): No staple tears are allowed

9.2 NEAR MINT– (NM–): No staple tears are allowed

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM): Only the slightest staple tears are allowed

8.0 VERY FINE (VF): Very slight staple tears may be present

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF): Slight staple tears may be present

6.0 FINE (FN): Minor staple tears may be present

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN): A slight accumulation of minor staple tears may be present

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG): Minor to moderate staple tears may be present

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG): Minor to moderate staple tears may be present

2.0 GOOD (GD): Moderate staple tears may be present

You either grade it properly as OS or CGC (Universal) does, or give it a clear QUALIFIED grade to warn potential buyers.

It is graded properly.

Do you work for Metro? Seriously, the only person who could think this book was "graded properly" is an employee.

I have bought a LOT of books and I have never seen a comic with a detached cover and "NM" sticker on it. That's just insanity, and here are the pertinent comments from Overstreet:

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM): No staple tears are allowed

9.2 NEAR MINT– (NM–): No staple tears are allowed

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM): Only the slightest staple tears are allowed

8.0 VERY FINE (VF): Very slight staple tears may be present

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF): Slight staple tears may be present

6.0 FINE (FN): Minor staple tears may be present

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN): A slight accumulation of minor staple tears may be present

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG): Minor to moderate staple tears may be present

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG): Minor to moderate staple tears may be present

2.0 GOOD (GD): Moderate staple tears may be present

You either grade it properly as OS or CGC (Universal) does, or give it a clear QUALIFIED grade to warn potential buyers.

Excellent! You have posted the Overstreet guidelines. Where is the Qualified grade?

Excellent! You have posted the Overstreet guidelines. Where is the Qualified grade?

You tell me, but it's definitely *not* on the Metro listing. lol

oh-snap.jpg

Making my point for me? Thanks!

So now you're against the Metro NM 9.4 NON-QUALIFIED, NON-CGC, NON-OS grade? Make up your mind, if you have one.

And once again, you duck a simple question: Do you have any business or personal connection with Metro?

This kind of abject stupidity is what really bugs me about this place.

If you're not going to properly grade a book by some accepted standard, then don't sell comic books. I could do the same thing and list ALL my books as "NM 9.4", coverless, missing back cover, no centerfold, missing pages, clipped coupons, writing, massive rips, etc. and then note the defect, right? And you'd all fully support me in selling 100% NM 9.4 copies?

Yeah right.

There are only two accepted ways of grading a book like this:

1) Grade it by Overstreet - the hobby bible.

2) Grade it by CGC/others with a QUALIFIED (Q) grade.

Anything else is not industry-standard grading, and is more along the lines of "eBay grading" - i.e. everything is a NM, with noted defects. lol

This kind of abject stupidity is what really bugs me about this place.

If you're not going to properly grade a book by some accepted standard, then don't sell comic books. I could do the same thing and list ALL my books as "NM 9.4", coverless, missing back cover, no centerfold, missing pages, clipped coupons, writing, massive rips, etc. and then note the defect, right? And you'd all fully support me in selling 100% NM 9.4 copies?

Yeah right.

There are only two accepted ways of grading a book like this:

1) Grade it by Overstreet - the hobby bible.

2) Grade it by CGC/others with a QUALIFIED (Q) grade.

Anything else is not industry-standard grading, and is more along the lines of "eBay grading" - i.e. everything is a NM, with noted defects. lol

This standard of telling the grade it presents as, noting the defect(s) that brings down the grade, and then pricing it accordingly is not accepted by you just because they don't use a "Q" in the description. :ohnoez:

Thank Odin most people can read text and not just look at the pretty pictures.

just because they don't use a "Q" in the description.

Hey Luthor, that's what makes a book a Qualified. doh!

It would be like CGC giving a 9.4 to this book, in a Universal slab, and then noting "Staple Pull/Spine Rip" - this is *exactly* why they created the Qualified label.

And by your illogic, why give grades at all? Just call everything NM and list defects - that's really what you're espousing.

Oh, yeah, stop ducking the question: Do you have any Personal or Professional relationship with Metro?

I agree that they should probably use a Q grade as that really is industry standard now, regardless of the fact that it didn't exist pre-CGC. That or downgrade the book appropriately. I do get what they are doing and wouldn't necessarily call it shady but it does probably invite negative sentiment as this thread would validate. But pulled staple aside, that book isn't NM 9.4 anyway. Those spine stresses are way too big along with that upper spine corner for a 9.4, 9.2 maybe, probably a 9.0 on most days.

JC - I'm curious as to why you would not grade something above a NM+. I get that 9.8 is a CGC grade but it is equivalent to a NM/M and that existed long before CGC. If someone markets something as NM/M or Mint, those are legit grades per OS and I would expect a book that looks better than a NM+. I wouldn't necessarily expect a CGC 9.8 but I would expect a close to perfect book if someone were to grade something as NM/M. Not a book with a bunch of obvious spine stress.