• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA Exceptional?

27 posts in this topic

They've been doing it for years with slabbed coins. It usually increases the final price at auction as the sticker certifies that the item has nice appeal for the stated grade. You've probably seen books where you've said," WTF ? ...... THAT is a 6.5 ?..... it's ugly"...... that book will NOT get the sticker. Basically what they do is help the inexperienced buyer to "buy the book and not the label"...... and for those who can't inspect their book in person. Since it will theoretically include assessment of the back cover also, it can also be beneficial with sites that post front scans only. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Exactly, the presence of the sticker helps you to ascertain the Back cover and in hand look of the book. I admit the sticker has influenced me to bid more aggressively, especially on Comiclink. I can see why they 'partnered' with Comiclink. Once I own the book and it is in hand, the sticker means nothing to me. But hey, the sticker serves a purpose. No biggie.

Your statement ("the sticker has influenced me to bid more aggressively") just validated my strategy, which is when I see a CVA sticker I just ignore the book more often than not because bidders will outprice it on CLink and I can probably find it elsewere for closer to GPA (or under) elsewhere.

IMO, the slabbed books of today are in the buyer beware category. If I bid based on price alone, I will often receive a soft graded book that looks terrible. I would rather overpay a little and get something I like to look at. If you are avoiding books with a CVA sticker, that's fine with me. Less competition.

I'm starting a company that will grade digital books. Grades and page quality will be determined after books are electronically sent to my company DGC.

If willing to invest, you just need to find two more people to join. Then those two people need to invest and so forth.

SUPPORT DGC.

IMO, the slabbed books of today are in the buyer beware category. If I bid based on the label alone, I will often receive a soft graded book that looks terrible. I would rather overpay a little and get something I like to look at. If you are avoiding books with a CVA sticker, that's fine with me. Less competition.

I agree, with the slight change above. I have to admit that the CVA books I've seen without miswraps are really pretty for the grade. If you don't like the labels or think they're silly that is fine, but if you can't inspect a book in person they are one more factor to help you make a decision. You're free to ignore them.

You get what you pay for. If your only goal is to get a bargain/under GPA book for the grade, chances are it will not be an attractive book. The CVA sticker tells me it looks good. I don't mind spending a little more for something that looks good and I will like better.

You get what you pay for. If your only goal is to get a bargain/under GPA book for the grade, chances are it will not be an attractive book. The CVA sticker tells me it looks good. I don't mind spending a little more for something that looks good and I will like better.

Exactly, but I'll never complain about getting a deal if it works out that way.