• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In this new age of speculation...

87 posts in this topic

what will the be the book that is a regrettable hallmark example of this frenzy

like Jim Lee's X-men 1 and Spawn 1 from the 90's. Where basically people will

be saying "I can't believe collectors paid so much for that then"...

Avengers 55?

Iron Man 55?

Hulk 271?

FF 52?

TTA 13?

Marvel Super-heores 18?

Marvel Super-heores 13?

X-factor 6?

Thor 165?

Strange tales 135?

Hero for Hire 1?

Captain America 117?

Sgt Fury 5?

New Mutants 98?

other?...

hm

Probably X-Factor #6, New Mutants #98 gathers the interest of Deadpool readers, which not necessarily care about the Marvel age, so it may keep being popular.

The same could be said for Hulk #271 and Tales to Astonish #13: how many people caring for the characters and actually reading the books really buy these because of a genuine love for the stories (and the relative first appearances)?

Groot has no background in the Marvel age besides this and the Hulk Annual, these new Guardians of the Galaxy series have little to nothing to do with the Marvel age in general.

Among the "historical" ones – I really can’t see the point in having an Iron Man #55 at these prices. Also, of course, Avengers #55, Tales to Astonish #13 and Thor #165, for different reasons.

Most of the others deserve the popularity (to different degrees) because of varying grades of relevance: surely Hero for Hire #1, Fantastic Four #52, Strange Tales #135, deserve the popularity they have now earned, although of course the spike is due to movie chatting and such amenities… :sick:

I don't see the relation between the examples in your opening paragraph and your list of choices. I think they are totally different situations.

My answer is none of the above. Walking Dead, Thief of Thieves, things like that.

I don't see the relation between the examples in your opening paragraph and your list of choices. I think they are totally different situations.

My answer is none of the above. Walking Dead, Thief of Thieves, things like that.

I guess Wally did not mean it as a comparision, but rather a juxtaposition.

There was a bubble of different nature in the early 1990s, so as economical phenomena they are comparable, but not for their subject – the current "hot" books happen more than often to be quality stuff nonetheless…

Avengers 55?

Iron Man 55?

Hulk 271?

FF 52?

TTA 13?

Marvel Super-heores 18?

Marvel Super-heores 13?

X-factor 6?

Thor 165?

Strange tales 135?

Hero for Hire 1?

Captain America 117?

Sgt Fury 5?

New Mutants 98?

The hero/good-guy books that are rising irrespective of movie speculation will stay -- MSH 13, Thor 165, ST 135 (though I don't think these are *that* high right now), and NM 98.

The thing to watch out for are the villains being hyped by movie interest. The only one I see having legs (but not at the highs seen now) is Thanos b/c he is a fixture in many parts of the Marvel Universe, whereas someone like Ultron was (until very recently) relegated mainly to the Avengers.

The hero/good-guy books that are rising irrespective of movie speculation will stay -- MSH 13, Thor 165, ST 135 (though I don't think these are *that* high right now), and NM 98.

The thing to watch out for are the villains being hyped by movie interest. The only one I see having legs (but not at the highs seen now) is Thanos b/c he is a fixture in many parts of the Marvel Universe, whereas someone like Ultron was (until very recently) relegated mainly to the Avengers.

But as it has been said a million times, Thor #165 is not a first apperance, and if a bubble will deflate, it will hit the Thor issues

(where basically "Him" just clashes with Thor because he has kidnapped Sif)

more than Fantastic Four #66-67. The other two are not only first apperances, but the MSH #13 is also an important story and very early (second) Captain Marvel.

I agree on Ultron/Thanos but mostly because the Ultron thing is entirely "artificial", as it is 99% of what is being produced right now.

I guess Wally did not mean it as a comparision, but rather a juxtaposition.

There was a bubble of different nature in the early 1990s, so as economical phenomena they are comparable, but not for their subject – the current "hot" books happen more than often to be quality stuff nonetheless…

OK.

Avengers 55 - slight tail off, followed by long-term steady growth

Iron Man 55 - long-term steady growth, the most popular Marvel Studios villain and he hasn't even made a full appearance yet

Hulk 271 - slight tail off and flattening, the magazine first app. is the real book to have

FF 52 - high long-term growth, will go on major + trajectory like early SA Marvel keys

TTA 13 - future sellers will not want to take less than past value so prices will be steady but sales will be slow

Marvel Super-heores 18 - can't remember what this is

Marvel Super-heores 13 - wait and see

X-factor 6 - I would pick this as the dog of the group if I had to

Thor 165 - Totally dependent on movie plans, which are not even at the rumor stage yet, 100% pure "speculation" right now, could go either way

Strange tales 135 - book is here to stay

Hero for Hire 1 - slow long term growth

Captain America 117 - can't say, conflict of interest

Sgt Fury 5 - has this been proven to have "taken off" yet? What is the sales data?

New Mutants 98 - price hasn't moved in a year, but for kids that grew up in the 90s this is still a book to have, will follow trajectory of Bat Adv 12 but more slowly

what will the be the book that is regrettable hallmark example of this frenzy

like Jim Lee's X-men 1 and Spawn 1 from the 90's. Where basically people will

be saying "I can't believe collectors paid so much for that then"...

Avengers 55?

Iron Man 55?

Hulk 271?

FF 52?

TTA 13?

Marvel Super-heores 18?

Marvel Super-heores 13?

X-factor 6?

Thor 165?

Strange tales 135?

Hero for Hire 1?

Captain America 117?

Sgt Fury 5?

New Mutants 98?

other?...

hm

The movie firsts will all see a significant drop a while after the movie is released, especially if that character isn't done justice. Look at Tales of Suspense #97 or Thor #118 compared to their peak.

But as it has been said a million times, Thor #165 is not a first apperance, and if a bubble will deflate, it will hit the Thor issues

(where basically "Him" just clashes with Thor because he has kidnapped Sif)

more than Fantastic Four #66-67. The other two are not only first apperances, but the MSH #13 is also an important story and very early (second) Captain Marvel.

I agree on Ultron/Thanos but mostly because the Ultron thing is entirely "artificial", as it is 99% of what is being produced right now.

I think the "debate" over Thor/Fantastic Four will continue to go on, regardless of any movie news, and with most people wanting to have a copy of each, and #165 is difficult to find (from what I've seen) in a respectable grade.

Avengers 55 - slight tail off, follow by long-term steady growth

Iron Man 55 - long-term steady growth, the most popular Marvel Studios villain and he hasn't even made a full appearance yet

Hulk 271 - slight tail off and flattening, the magazine first app. is the real book to have

FF 52 - high long-term growth, will go on major + trajectory like early SA Marvel keys

TTA 13 - future sellers will not want to take less than past value so prices will be steady but sales will be slow

Thor 165 - Totally dependent on movie plans, which are not even at the rumor stage yet, 100% pure "speculation" right now

Sgt Fury 5 - has this been proven to have "taken off" yet? What is the sales data?

New Mutants 98 - price hasn't moved in a year, but for kids that grew up in the 90s this is still a book to have, will follow trajectory of Bat Adv 12 but more slowly

I find your analysis very reasonable – what are the "Marvel Studios"? The company producing the newer films (sorry, I don’t follow the movies as I don’t like them).

Marvel Super-heores 18 is the first appearance of the Guardians of the Galaxy, a book that I would love to have and not because of the movies, obviously. :)

Avengers 55 - slight tail off, follow by long-term steady growth

Thor 165 - Totally dependent on movie plans, which are not even at the rumor stage yet, 100% pure "speculation" right now

I find your analysis very reasonable – what are the "Marvel Studios"? The company producing the newer films (sorry, I don’t follow the movies as I don’t like them).

Marvel Super-heores 18 is the first appearance of the Guardians of the Galaxy, a book that I would love to have and not because of the movies, obviously. :)

Agreed. Great post, Origin Bomb.

I think the "debate" over Thor/Fantastic Four will continue to go on, regardless of any movie news, and with most people wanting to have a copy of each, and #165 is difficult to find (from what I've seen) in a respectable grade.

Honestly, it is not a question of debate, but of facts. I agree on what you say, but on collecting terms alone, not for the importance of the story.

I, myself, which I don’t like these Thor issues, have picked them to have the full story of the character, but I can see collectors which enjoy the covers and the artwork looking for high grade copies of #165 and paying for them… (thumbs u