• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB Threads...

101 posts in this topic

my 2c , But if you make a WTB thread, you are (or should be) pretty serious in looking for a particular book, and with that being the case, you should expect anyone who replies to it to come at you with the (high) going rate. Being that the ball is in their court at that moment

however, some make wtb threads looking for deals (sometimes steals) , I noticed it's usually newbies looking for a sweet deal and/or don't even reply to PM's :eyeroll: - but that's a whole other story :flamed:

IMO if you looking for a deal, you need to be watching the F/S thread , ebay, CL etc... as if someones looking to sell the book rather then replying to someones wishlist . you have a much better chance at working out a better deal (as a buyer).. just my 2c

rantrant

We really need a strict format for the WTB threads.

I really think you need a description of the specific books and grades in the title. I don't even bother with the "books wanted" titled threads anymore. Usually the body of which then contains a CGC 9.8 book I've never heard of. If they'd put that in the title, they could cut to the chase.

Just out of curiosity, but does anyone truly have luck with WTB threads? I've posted roughly 7-10 in the past year. I've had very little success. I completed two purchases, but they were all for cheap stuff.

So sure, we can complain about the poor thread starters, but the whole thing is sort of a waste…

I got my Green Lantern #76 via a WTB. And for more than a fair price I might say!

I've had probably 5-6 WTBs over the last few years. I think I've only gotten three offers, consumated one (GL76) one was an offer of a grade that was to good for my pocketbook, and one was asking beyond what I thought was anywhere close to fair market (it was a SS book that I could have "created" myself for about 1/2 of his asking price).

Wish someone would come a calling in my Okajima WTB thread :whistle:

or heck even in my "Last Galactus Story" WTB....

but that's what bumps are for!

I've had great luck there with the common, easy-to-find books when I specify grades. I am not having a lot of luck with harder-to-find or rarer obscure books and tend to just get them off Ebay.

I've not had a bad experience buying from WTB, but I've had a variety of people flake out and not respond to their own requests for books - which I don't really get. Seems pretty obvious to have the common courtesy to respond to people's PMs, but then again, it seems pretty obvious to do things like eat with your mouth closed or turn your phone off in the movie theater; some people are just naturally dim, I suppose.

my 2c , But if you make a WTB thread, you are (or should be) pretty serious in looking for a particular book, and with that being the case, you should expect anyone who replies to it to come at you with the (high) going rate. Being that the ball is in their court at that moment

however, some make wtb threads looking for deals (sometimes steals) , I noticed it's usually newbies looking for a sweet deal and/or don't even reply to PM's :eyeroll: - but that's a whole other story :flamed:

IMO if you looking for a deal, you need to be watching the F/S thread , ebay, CL etc... as if someones looking to sell the book rather then replying to someones wishlist . you have a much better chance at working out a better deal (as a buyer).. just my 2c

rantrant

This is how I feel as well, and I know exactly who you're talking about when you mention the person looking for sweet deals who won't reply to PM's. :whistle:

When I've started a WTB thread, I've usually put the $ amount I will pay or include the phrase, "Will pay stupid money!" I figure if I want it bad enough, I am willing to pay its worth or more!

Dan

rantrant

This is how I feel as well, and I know exactly who you're talking about when you mention the person looking for sweet deals who won't reply to PM's. :whistle:

I'm sure you do :eyeroll:

:gossip: it's quiet others as well, all of which are on my block list

I sold four books to a WTB thread... it just wasn't to the person who started the WTB thread.

Yeah - I bought WTB book out of a WTB thread - the poster was a tire-kicker, so the seller sold it to me instead.

I have always done well on them. I have better luck when I keep my list smaller than just saying I want all XXXX (large amount of books). When I keep it to no more than 10-12 books I have better results.

It also helps some people like me tolerate my presence on the Boards :blush:

I have always done well on them. I have better luck when I keep my list smaller than just saying I want all XXXX (large amount of books). When I keep it to no more than 10-12 books I have better results.

It also helps some people like me tolerate my presence on the Boards :blush:

The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Online_Shadows_of_Angmar_-_Eye_of_Sauron.png

In-line with what many others have said, I personally have had luck in WTB threads when I post "will pay FMV" and mean it, or quote "GPA high +/-10%" etc.

It is when I respond to other's posts and they want a SA Key for 60% of FMV (or GPA or whatever), AND perfection in grade.