• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB Threads...

101 posts in this topic

We really need a strict format for the WTB threads.

I really think you need a description of the specific books and grades in the title. I don't even bother with the "books wanted" titled threads anymore. Usually the body of which then contains a CGC 9.8 book I've never heard of. If they'd put that in the title, they could cut to the chase.

Or at least the MODs could troll the WTB threads and make people follow the three rules that do exist...

This is what I feel like I see in a large number of WTB threads:

Hi (insert board name here, usually someone with very little "experience" on the boards) I WTB (insert book here, usually a SA Key or "hot" book). Please PM me with details.

However, I forgot to mention that I am only willing to entertain prices that are 60% of recent GPA or less and I don't accept any defects on low grade books.

Have a nice day!"

I am no saint and I try to pay less than GPA and start my sales around GPA average/high as well, but seriously…

rantrant

Happy Saturday Everyone! :hi:

Just out of curiosity, but does anyone truly have luck with WTB threads? I've posted roughly 7-10 in the past year. I've had very little success. I completed two purchases, but they were all for cheap stuff.

So sure, we can complain about the poor thread starters, but the whole thing is sort of a waste…

Does it hurt to try though? What does the lottery say? You can't win if you don't play

If been trying on the WTB boards for awhile I'm not having much luck,

but the book is a tough one to run down I guess... I just need to keep fishing

maybe I'll catch one

What are you trying to buy (book and grade) and what is your price range?

I have sold three books to one person, via answering WTB threads. But I have responded to many of them.

I also have received one offer of a book I posted a WTB for. But it was offered too late (a month later) and I already had the book by then.

Pretty much a waste of time. But no big deal, except for the scanning work.

If been trying on the WTB boards for awhile I'm not having much luck,

but the book is a tough one to run down I guess... I just need to keep fishing

maybe I'll catch one

What are you trying to buy (book and grade) and what is your price range?

Trying to find a Mister Mystery 6 in the Good- VG range raw or slabbed will pay FMV on either depending on grade

O, I also got a nice X-Men 1 and some other boring ol' SA Marvel Keys from WTBs.

Listen Neo, we all know you are awesome and do great wherever you go.

:foryou:

lol I wish! I can't get a nibble on my SC 4 or Planet 71 threads. :(

O, I also got a nice X-Men 1 and some other boring ol' SA Marvel Keys from WTBs.

Listen Neo, we all know you are awesome and do great wherever you go.

:foryou:

lol I wish! I can't get a nibble on my SC 4 or Planet 71 threads. :(

I would sell you my SC 4, but you wouldn't like my price. And I love it!!!

Planet 71 is something I have only seen once in person, so no help there.

As a seller, I have had several sales from WTB. What works is offering my best price as the initial price, never had much luck coming in high and negotiating.

Applying what I have learned as a seller,in my WTB threads it seems just plain rude to not respond when someone offers a book. If it is close make an offer, if not dispense with the lowballs and simply thank them for the offer.

As a buyer, this strategy really works for me. If the initial price is close to fmv I won't even bother trying to negotiate. Likewise if the initial offering is ridiculous I'll politely decline and move on, not bother negotiating.

I have got to admit that I have had a tremendous amount of success with my WTB thread.

Sometimes I have to resurrect it from 7 pages deep, but it has done many things. First, I have been able to purchase hundreds of books from board members because of it. Second, I have met, and made some new internet friends because of it. And lastly, I have been able to share some of my success from the thread with others who inquire about certain books because they see the thread.

I used to try to be a tad entertaining when bumping the thread, but have stopped that because some members just did not get the entertainment aspect of it.

I haven't tried to sell to anyone in the WTB threads, but I have posted, and I think it completely depends on who you are dealing with which defines the experience.

I've been trying to find a Captain America #1 Fan Expo 2011 variant for a while, and haven't had much luck. I've posted the condition i'm looking for and just like Ebay, I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount that is satisfactory for both parties. This however comes down to communication.

I agree that if you have unreasonable expectations then the WTB thread is not for you whether a buyer or seller.

But just like everything else I've found on these boards, There are a lot of people here who understand the ethics behind buying and selling.

Sorry some of you guys have had bad luck, Don't let a few rotten apples spoil the bunch! :ohnoez:

As a seller, I have had several sales from WTB. What works is offering my best price as the initial price, never had much luck coming in high and negotiating.

Applying what I have learned as a seller,in my WTB threads it seems just plain rude to not respond when someone offers a book. If it is close make an offer, if not dispense with the lowballs and simply thank them for the offer.

As a buyer, this strategy really works for me. If the initial price is close to fmv I won't even bother trying to negotiate. Likewise if the initial offering is ridiculous I'll politely decline and move on, not bother negotiating.

So if the price is reasonable you won't negotiate, and if the price is high you won't negotiate. When will you negotiate?

So if the price is reasonable you won't negotiate, and if the price is high you won't negotiate. When will you negotiate?

All I know, I negotiate everything on the boards. It is part of the fun here.

Thread krappers are the biggest problem.

Define "thread krappers" in your opinion?

Personally I find the incessant "great book" or "GLWTS" or "I wish I could buy, but I am low on funds" or "someone buy this before I do" far more annoying that when someone actually asks about details or comments that a price is too high. I think we are a little too hard on people when they have a desire to call sellers/buyers out on BS in public.

All I know, I negotiate everything on the boards. It is part of the fun here.

lol Totally!!

Thread krappers are the biggest problem.

Define "thread krappers" in your opinion?

Personally I find the incessant "great book" or "GLWTS" or "I wish I could buy, but I am low on funds" or "someone buy this before I do" far more annoying that when someone actually asks about details or comments that a price is too high. I think we are a little too hard on people when they have a desire to call sellers/buyers out on BS in public.

I do too sometimes, but those are the Board Rules.