• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Bronze keys?

339 posts in this topic

I'd agree with this. I can see this book on par with the 1st appearance of Mystique, but nothing more. I don't see it dropping back to double digits for CGC 9.8/9.6 copies though.

No one said that 9.8 copies were going to be in the dollar bin (even before Gamora was broken out, this was still an early-Starlin book) only that current prices are insane and will fall in the years to come.

The time to buy ST 180 was years ago, like I did. :headbang:

I'd agree with this. I can see this book on par with the 1st appearance of Mystique, but nothing more. I don't see it dropping back to double digits for CGC 9.8/9.6 copies though.

No one said that 9.8 copies were going to be in the dollar bin (even before Gamora was broken out, this was still an early-Starlin book) only that current prices are insane and will fall in the years to come.

Or two years from now.

Since you state in many of your posts that you do not take the time to list and/or sell comics (even "hot" comics that will plummet in price), what are you going to do with all of these copies?

And why did you buy so many in the first place?

I'm not attempting to start hostilities, just wondering. I understand having a few copies of a favorite comic (iconic cover, 1st appearance, etc.), but why buy 10+ copies of a random Stalin issue "years ago"?

Since you state in many of your posts that you do not take the time to list and/or sell comics (even "hot" comics that will plummet in price), what are you going to do with all of these copies?

Because I'm always looking for a perfectly-centered, well-cut book in NM shape, rather than those freakshow 9.8's CGC promotes. I would much rather own a perfectly-cut, high-color 9.4 than a badly-cut, white-border, low-ink strike 9.8 any day of the week.

So I buy multiples, decide if any fit the criteria and stop when I'm satisfied.

Plus, a used to buy runs of Starlin books so you naturally accumulate dupes that way.

I'm not attempting to start hostilities, just wondering. I understand having a few copies of a favorite comic (iconic cover, 1st appearance, etc.), but why buy 10+ copies of a random Stalin issue "years ago"?

Joes posts work better if one doesn't try to find any logic with them.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Because I'm always looking for a perfectly-centered, well-cut book in NM shape, rather than those freakshow 9.8's CGC promotes. I would much rather own a perfectly-cut, high-color 9.4 than a badly-cut, white-border, low-ink strike 9.8 any day of the week.

Plus, a used to buy runs of Starlin books so you naturally accumulate dupes that way.

I see. So what becomes of those "lesser" copies? Are they doomed to forever linger in your longbox of not-up-to-snuff?

Unleash those beasts. One man's second-rate is another's just-as-good or must-have.

I suspect perfectly centered books with high colors/gloss will continue to command higher dollars. The quality of production and state of preservation will factor into the GPA price more and more.

And I understand what Joe is saying, I got some wonderful X-Men's recently that had amazing gloss/rich colors. It put some of my other keepers to shame.

Made me feel like a kid again picking it straight off the rack. These are the kind of books I love. :cloud9:

I don't think people realize how glossy and rich in color these books can be.

I see. So what becomes of those "lesser" copies? Are they doomed to forever linger in your longbox of not-up-to-snuff?

Unleash those beasts. One man's second-rate is another's just-as-good or must-have.

He makes a raft out of cracked CGC cases and old backer boards and banishes them to the Island of Miscut Comics...

They're still nice books and I like owning them.

Another factor is that I only collect from one era - 1970-80, so when buy lots, collections and runs, you always get extras, and when you very rarely sell, it can really build up.

But I'm an amateur when it comes to some of the hoarders on here.

Made me feel like a kid again picking it straight off the rack. These are the kind of books I love. :cloud9:

I don't think people realize how glossy and rich in color these books can be.

I bought some ASM's in the 120's and 130's like this - long time ago on eBay some guy was selling his comics off (no pics) and I just threw a bid in and won - they came in old yellowed bags, but the comics were off-the-rack amazing, and I spent a weekend looking through them. :cloud9:

And color strike is certainly different between books, and the first run is always deeper and more vibrant. I can remember buying a run of FF 120-124 on eBay and although I already had NM copies, the price was right and the scans looked really nice (the books didn't see light for decades). When I saw this one, slightly lower grade than my "keeper" it became my favorite FF 121 - the red literally looks wet, like you could dip your finger in it.

144734.jpg.8600a44764c14cc8d8d0f3fb41b99b14.jpg

When I started going through all of my longboxes in 2013, I was flabbergasted at the sheer number of dupes. Not just the kind of stuff you brag about - Nova #1 and SW #1 (20-30 copies of each) but also 4-5 full runs of Starfire, Star Hunters, Time Warp, Omega the Unknown, Skull the Slayer etc. If it was Bronze, HG and cheap - I bought it, no questions asked. There are more of us out there than you would imagine. :blush:

When I started going through all of my longboxes in 2013, I was flabbergasted at the sheer number of dupes

You know how bad it was for me? I found 35-cent variants I didn't know I had. doh!

Now I don't even look anymore.

When I started going through all of my longboxes in 2013, I was flabbergasted at the sheer number of dupes. Not just the kind of stuff you brag about - Nova #1 and SW #1 (20-30 copies of each) but also 4-5 full runs of Starfire, Star Hunters, Time Warp, Omega the Unknown, Skull the Slayer etc. If it was Bronze, HG and cheap - I bought it, no questions asked. There are more of us out there than you would imagine. :blush:

Hoarder :baiting:

The Longbox of Doom it is, then. :lol:

How many Dazzler #1's? :baiting:

The Longbox of Doom it is, then. :lol:

How many Dazzler #1's? :baiting:

10 +- :facepalm:

By far the most are SW 1, Nova 1 and PPTSSM 1. I bought bulk of all three off ebay in the late 90's. And 10-12 copies of OMAC 1. And 50 copies of Heroes, Inc.

I bought a collection from a guy that had 50-75 copies of

I got lucky one time with a speculator hoard that had all kinds of #1 junk in it, Man-Thing, Logan's Run, Godzilla, Black Goliath, Shogun Warriors, Battlestar Galactica, Marvel Presents 1 (Bloodstone), Marvel Chillers 1 (Mordred) and some other , and then right near the end along with some Champions and Inhumans #1's, I found a nice stack of NM Iron Fist #1's. :cloud9:

I bought a collection from a guy that had 50-75 copies of:

She-Hulk 1

Rom 1

John Carter 1

Tarzan 1

Red Sonja 1

Man-Thing (1979) 1

Star Trek (Marvel) 1

If they are not long gone, the She-Hulks and Roms will hook you up.

I bought a collection from a guy that had 50-75 copies of

I got lucky one time with a speculator hoard that had all kinds of #1 junk in it, Man-Thing, Logan's Run, Godzilla, Black Goliath, Shogun Warriors, Battlestar Galactica, Marvel Presents 1 (Bloodstone), Marvel Chillers 1 (Mordred) and some other , and then right near the end along with some Champions and Inhumans #1's, I found a nice stack of NM Iron Fist #1's. :cloud9:

So many people refuse to believe these books were speculated upon.