• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Bronze keys?

339 posts in this topic

1 is a little harder to find discounted but there's lots of em out there. Like Byrne X-Men, I would take the time to find em raw at a convention.

Conan1_zpsaafca63f.jpg

Always loved Conan #1,should be worth much more than it is.

Thanks to these boards I can now pick through my long saved collection and figure out what I have that is actually worth a few bucks. I dug through my boxes and found these two I bought off the stands. These aren't perfect by any means but both present pretty nice. Anyone think they are worth submitting for slabbing?

Awesome, always love to see books that are OO. Very cool.

the no 11 isn't really worth subbing even in 9.8. The 17 might be worth a shot if you think it can go 9.4 or higher. I haven't perused the scans so can't say whether it would.

If you do submit. Post some pre-scans in the PGM thread and update when the grade comes back.

Too many corner dings on that 17 to get a 9.4. Thanks for the feedback though.

1 is a little harder to find discounted but there's lots of em out there. Like Byrne X-Men, I would take the time to find em raw at a convention.

Conan1_zpsaafca63f.jpg

Always loved Conan #1,should be worth much more than it is.

Hey Oakman!

Back in the early seventies in New York every dealer had a mint Conan #1 for sale for $20. It was clearly a book that was piled up in dealer stock from the day it came off the press. The supply probably suppresses the price.

'Boo hoo' is right as you're the one I feel sorry for with those self-esteem issues in resorting to bullying & mocking Fantastic Fan

If you don't want to get laughed at, stop posting stupid stuff. :applause:

lol I'm with JC--any adult who complains about being bullied or about another adult being bullied should just pack it in. Pathetic.

:screwy:

So in regards to the Huntress are we going with All-Star 69 or DC Super Stars 17 as the book to get? Grand Comics Database lists them both coming out the same day. Is the DCSS17 the better book as it's thicker and features her Origin?

Does anyone actually care since this isn't Bertinelli? What's her first appearance?

What are some undervalued bronze keys out there? One that comes to mind for me is Strange Tales 180, especially in higher grade. There are only 13 in 9.8 on the census, yet the last sale on gpa went for only 750. That's fewer copies in 9.8 than Marvel Premiere 15 of which there are 28 on the census and which routinely sells for around $2k.

Any others?

Fear19.jpg

If Rocket Raccon`s first appearance has tripled in value, then well Howard the Duck`s first appearance will double in value.

:gossip:

Eventually we will get that Howard the Duck and Donald Duck Disney/Marvel team up!

:cloud9:

So in regards to the Huntress are we going with All-Star 69 or DC Super Stars 17 as the book to get? Grand Comics Database lists them both coming out the same day. Is the DCSS17 the better book as it's thicker and features her Origin?

Does anyone actually care since this isn't Bertinelli? What's her first appearance?

I think DC Super-Stars 17 is going to remain the book because of the cover - all Huntress, with the blurb saying it's her introduction. It looks and feels like a first appearance, even if All-Star 69 technically shares that distinction (and also has an "introducing" blurb on the cover).

Plus, we all know collectors will go to any lengths to justify calling the comic with the better cover a first appearance. :eyeroll:

It's got to be DC Super Stars #17.

She appears as a silhouette in a few panels before being revealed in the final panel of All Star 69. Even in the final panel her costume colors are not shown. The only thing it has going for it is the head shot on the cover.

What are some undervalued bronze keys out there? One that comes to mind for me is Strange Tales 180, especially in higher grade. There are only 13 in 9.8 on the census, yet the last sale on gpa went for only 750. That's fewer copies in 9.8 than Marvel Premiere 15 of which there are 28 on the census and which routinely sells for around $2k.

Any others?

Fear19.jpg

If Rocket Raccon`s first appearance has tripled in value, then well Howard the Duck`s first appearance will double in value.

:gossip:

Eventually we will get that Howard the Duck and Donald Duck Disney/Marvel team up!

:cloud9:

Now that Disney owns Howard, maybe they will let Marvel remove those ridiculous pants that they forced him to wear to differentiate him from Donald.

How about those DC Survey books? They hardly ever turn up.

For those unfamiliar with them, there are a very small number of 35 cent DC comics that have a survey stapled in the centerfold. I assume some were ripped out and filled in, but there seem to less of these than the 30 cent Marvel test issues, as far as I can tell.

dcsurvey1_zpsd0d3ca2a.jpg

dcsurvey2_zpsec0d144d.jpg

Special Marvel Edition 15.

Why? That character hasn't been relevant in 30 years. I nor any of my friends who grow up in the 90's ever heard of Shang Chi or whatever the hell his name is and 20 years later I still don't care to.

I've always been surprised at how little love there is for SME 15 and Shang Chi specifically. I rarely read one as a kid because actual super heroes were my thing but every MOKF story I read always made me want to read more.

Same here! Loved the stories in MOKF!

Does anyone think Micronauts will break out?

There's a member whose been advertising them as movie hype books and cites a source that states it's "in development".

I ask because my understanding is that Marvel only retains the rights to the original characters they created for the series: Bug and Marionette. The rights to the characters based on the toys - like Baron Karza - have reverted back to the original license holders. Those characters were licensed by Image/Black Bull about 10 years ago but I'm sure they've lapsed back again.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but even if a movie gets made, unless Marvel licenses those toy characters again, a movie probably won't look anything like the comic series. And I doubt Marvel would pay money for the rights to characters that they've done nothing with for 30 years just so somebody else can make a movie.

If a movie is made and it's not based on the comic, will the comic series still get a bump?

Micronauts movie was rumored like 3 or 4 years ago now, but nothing happened and as far as I know development has stopped on it. Seems like every toy or comic book was getting optioned at that point.

Bug was actually a big part of the current Guardians of the Galaxy book that took off for Marvel. It seems when they decided upon who was actually going to be featured in the movie they dropped him from the team.

Even if a movie does ever emerge the Marvel series won't be used as any kind of storyline I don't think. With all that said I enjoyed Micronauts as a kid and the early Golden issues are nice to have.

Does anyone think Micronauts will break out?

There's a member whose been advertising them as movie hype books and cites a source that states it's "in development".

I ask because my understanding is that Marvel only retains the rights to the original characters they created for the series: Bug and Marionette. The rights to the characters based on the toys - like Baron Karza - have reverted back to the original license holders. Those characters were licensed by Image/Black Bull about 10 years ago but I'm sure they've lapsed back again.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but even if a movie gets made, unless Marvel licenses those toy characters again, a movie probably won't look anything like the comic series. And I doubt Marvel would pay money for the rights to characters that they've done nothing with for 30 years just so somebody else can make a movie.

If a movie is made and it's not based on the comic, will the comic series still get a bump?

I don't think a movie bump will happen for these comics. Even if a movie is made. They were kind of in the same ballpark as Transformers in my eyes. Look at how many Transformers movies have been made. I never noticed a bump in the 80s series due to the movies. Also kind of like GI Joe. No bump for that series when the movies came out.

Regarding Transformers...maybe the books would have had a bigger jump in price if the movies were somewhat recognizable to the same fans that loved the stuff in the 80's. The Bay transformer movies were so awful that I couldn't make out who was who other than Prime.

It's safe to say the Joe movies fall into the same trap.

Another reason why Transformer/GI Joe comics didn't get the bump is that they were both already established properties as cartoons and toy lines before the comics came out, instead of the other way around.

Then how about...

144943.jpg.ac4ad62716138d98f60bf90da5ae9f30.jpg

Another reason why Transformer/GI Joe comics didn't get the bump is that they were both already established properties as cartoons and toy lines before the comics came out, instead of the other way around.

Then how about...

Can't get excited about ROM. Dunno why.