• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of. ........ suggestions.

48 posts in this topic

Perhaps it is because the $ aspect of the hobby is a bit taboo - but what about having the categories be by price - people who like panels, can vote for panels etc.

Since these pieces are to be acquired in that year peple should be able to place them in the appropriate category easily enough

Free

Under $100

Under $500

Under $1000

Under $5000

> $5000

Something along these lines

A hybrid option would be traditional categories for pieces under say $2,500 and all the pricey stuff in a single category.

A break down like ($100, $500, $1K, $5K) that would create a real rats nest. Some people would have different opinions on value, was the piece traded? what trade value was placed on it? Did the per on get the piece from a dealer who over priced it not at market value?

Then do you do i for the three main published comic art categories? That adds 12 categories. I am open to change but I do not want to do 2 dozen categories.

Eras is also an issue.

1. Make the number of votes allowed be determined by the # of entries, with a min of 3 and max of 5. This will take into account dividing any categories now and in the future.

2. Dividing big categories in three major era categories: (a) GA & SA, (b) BA & Copper, © Modern

You can lump Golden Silver and Bronze (1930's to 1985) together but then the other category has Killing Joke and Watchmen and Mcfarlane Spider-Man. A sliding scale on how many entries is a lot more work for Bill I want to keep this simple.

I might consider something like Covers: At or Above $10K and Below $10K, Splashes At or Above $7K and Below $7K, Panel Pages: At or Above $5K and Below $5K. These are very arbitrary numbers.

In the end I would like to address some of the concerns but still keep this simple. Voting has been a part of Best of since before it was hosted on CAF and I want to keep that tradition.

I enjoy it pretty much as it is, but I would split commissions out and rework the definition of convention "sketch."

Re: Commissions

I'd use one of the two Unpublished slots for commissions and the other for everything else.

Re: Convention Sketches

I think the rules should state that they were drawn by the artist at the show - no pre-con arranged pickups.

For example, I put my Perez Raven/Trigon piece in commissions because its only connection to Comicpalooza was that George had a pre-con list and I was there to pick it up. Basically, a commission with con pickup; not a con sketch.

I can add some descriptions like that for Con Drawings but I have seen some very detailed pieces done during a convention. I have requested pieces before a con which were no more detailed than what I have had done at cons. Jerry Bingham did this Talia for me before SD Con, it would technically not fit the definition but on the other hand it doesn't constitute being in the commission section. Where would it go?

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1034497

Stuff like that I leave to the owners. In past years the con drawings section seemed to be all AH! drawings down at cons. And They always win. I only saw one AH! drawing this year.

I enjoy it pretty much as it is, but I would split commissions out and rework the definition of convention "sketch."

Re: Commissions

I'd use one of the two Unpublished slots for commissions and the other for everything else.

Re: Convention Sketches

I think the rules should state that they were drawn by the artist at the show - no pre-con arranged pickups.

For example, I put my Perez Raven/Trigon piece in commissions because its only connection to Comicpalooza was that George had a pre-con list and I was there to pick it up. Basically, a commission with con pickup; not a con sketch.

I can add some descriptions like that for Con Drawings but I have seen some very detailed pieces done during a convention. I have requested pieces before a con which were no more detailed than what I have had done at cons. Jerry Bingham did this Talia for me before SD Con, it would technically not fit the definition but on the other hand it doesn't constitute being in the commission section. Where would it go?

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1034497

Stuff like that I leave to the owners. In past years the con drawings section seemed to be all AH! drawings down at cons. And They always win. I only saw one AH! drawing this year.

You're talking about that gray area I mentioned where the work isn't a commission (studio quality) and more of a convention quality product that is set up prior to the con. This is a tough one to chalk the field on for sure.

You're right about the AH! piece (which is really incredible and I totally love), but even I have a hard time saying that's a con sketch when the description says it was commissioned at SDCC in 2011 and received in 2013 (wasn't real clear on whether it was picked up at a con or mailed).

I kind of like the idea of splitting it out by year category. Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper. Or just by year range. Because really.. you can't put a 60's Kirby page up against a modern page and not expect the Kirby page to run away with all the votes. I can see it being slightly easier to compare art from within the same date range. I do see the problem with this though, as it then becomes the issue of having to know what year your art is from (though most collectors have an idea on this, don't they?).

Breaking it down by price does become problematic, especially as it causes debate on true value of art, was it involved in a trade deal, etc. Alongside some people probably not wanting to acknowledge, or have it open to speculation, the amount they paid for the art.

Don

liking the discussion on how the Lowry could be made better

Perhaps it is because the $ aspect of the hobby is a bit taboo - but what about having the categories be by price - people who like panels, can vote for panels etc.

Since these pieces are to be acquired in that year peple should be able to place them in the appropriate category easily enough

Free

Under $100

Under $500

Under $1000

Under $5000

> $5000

Something along these lines

A hybrid option would be traditional categories for pieces under say $2,500 and all the pricey stuff in a single category.

A break down like ($100, $500, $1K, $5K) that would create a real rats nest. Some people would have different opinions on value, was the piece traded? what trade value was placed on it? Did the per on get the piece from a dealer who over priced it not at market value?

Then do you do i for the three main published comic art categories? That adds 12 categories. I am open to change but I do not want to do 2 dozen categories.

Eras is also an issue.

I might consider something like Covers: At or Above $10K and Below $10K, Splashes At or Above $7K and Below $7K, Panel Pages: At or Above $5K and Below $5K. These are very arbitrary numbers.

In the end I would like to address some of the concerns but still keep this simple. Voting has been a part of Best of since before it was hosted on CAF and I want to keep that tradition.

Looks like my proposal was not quite clear so a clarification - my proposal would be 5-6 categories total

BTW I do second the notion that we should be able to pull the actual original CAF posting of our art into the Lowry complete with the original description. Copying that over isn't usually something I (or many) do so we are left with just a reposting of the art with any of the "this is how I feel about the art" commentary.

BTW I do second the notion that we should be able to pull the actual original CAF posting of our art into the Lowry complete with the original description. Copying that over isn't usually something I (or many) do so we are left with just a reposting of the art with any of the "this is how I feel about the art" commentary.

This is actually one of my favorite enhancements for the CAF - linking between galleries rather than copying.

I'd like it so that I can have multiple ways to group my pieces, so that submissions to the monthly Sketchbook point to the original piece, so that Lowry's point to the original piece.

Heck, I'd like to see it happen such that if a piece is sold it can be moved with views and comments to the new gallery. Some of the comments are really interesting and I hate to see them lost.

But these are CAF improvements not "Best of ..." improvements. I'll be quiet now.