• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Score of the century!!

497 posts in this topic

What if they tied up Elsie in a basement packed all the comics in a van and accidentally drove it into a lake?

And hilarity ensued.

Man, they autta make a movie......

Comic Book Men episode late Sunday night.

What if they tied up Elsie in a basement packed all the comics in a van and accidentally drove it into a lake?

And hilarity ensued.

Man, they autta make a movie......

Comic Book Men episode late Sunday night.

lol

I can see it now..

Water Damaged Collection sells for thousands on Comic Book Men......

How do some of y'all make it through to adulthood, with the lousy radar that you have? :facepalm:

By the by. I have a bridge in New York for sale. Just $32,000 and it is yours. Just think of the tolls you could charge. It is a gold mine. :makepoint:

I will sell anyone the very same bridge for only $29,995!

(:

-slym

Great opportunity for an enterprising individual to set up toll booths and make some big money. I'm surprised it's still for sale. I've got $25,000 in cash and will throw in a restored FF 1 reprint.

However, I will need some cash forwarded to me up front to process the transaction. I'm thinking $1000.00 should cover the documentation fees. Please use Western Union...I do have a paypal account but don't accept it. They always insist I return any cash after 45 days...I don't have that problem with Western. I've dealt with Western for many years and have never had a problem. The money can be forwarded to my off shore account in South Africa.

Trust me. :grin:

Seriously, this was started by someone with 49 posts. Give that some thought.

Seriously. You got me, low post count equals dishonesty.

What on earth is the end game of a "scam" like this? To fool a bunch of comic collectors and make them obsess on it for days? That would be the crime of the century.

I'm not the only one who replied to this ad. I have no idea if the books are legit

I think the story is not real. Quicksilver, if your part starting the thread is 100% honest you shouldn't get offended that your low post count comes into question. People with low post counts have started bogus discovery posts in the past. Some examples of these prior bogus posts from the past of the top of my head would be: Batman Ashcan, Detective 27 hunt, Double Action Comics #1 Ashcan in a friends safety deposit box, etc.

It also seems odd, the antagonist of the story is known as just Andrew with no last name even if he paid a sizable portion with a check. And why would the seller give you Andrew's email address so you can contact him? It's not like you tried to contact him on their behalf. You said you contacted him wanting to purchase some golden age Captain Americas, and looking at your posting history it doesn't look like you even posted in the Gold Section before. And if you have his email address, how do you only know his first name or know if he is a major dealer or not?

Not saying you're not being 100% honest, but you brought this wildly fantastical story to light, lacking details, just don't expect not to be scrutinized as you are the source of the story.

It's also a bit hypocritical for Rosa to be thinking his fantasy-land ideas about what a comic should be worth could somehow divest him of "following by example" or by removing himself from the sale by having it brokered by a "friend." If principle is that important to Rosa, he should tell his friend to make sure the owners views are reflected in the manner and method books are sold, otherwise it's a gag or a sound byte that doesn't register in real-world application of appraising and evaluating a collection. 2c

I should point out that where ever it was I saw Rosa say he had a friend do it for him, he was joking about it - to a degree - saying he left it to the friend to deal with all that, since he still kinda thought a used comic should be half of cover, max. He's smart enough to know that if he held to those beliefs in selling, the person he sold them to would turn around and sell them at guide prices. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he had some way of knowing the buyer followed the same philosophy, that he'd sell them for half of cover. That's just how he seemed to me, as cranky and disagreeable as he could be.

You can call it hypocritical, but I just see it as realistic.

Seriously, this was started by someone with 49 posts. Give that some thought.

Seriously. You got me, low post count equals dishonesty.

What on earth is the end game of a "scam" like this? To fool a bunch of comic collectors and make them obsess on it for days? That would be the crime of the century.

I'm not the only one who replied to this ad. I have no idea if the books are legit

I think the story is not real. Quicksilver, if your part starting the thread is 100% honest you shouldn't get offended that your low post count comes into question. People with low post counts have started bogus discovery posts in the past. Some examples of these prior bogus posts from the past of the top of my head would be: Batman Ashcan, Detective 27 hunt, Double Action Comics #1 Ashcan in a friends safety deposit box, etc.

It also seems odd, the antagonist of the story is known as just Andrew with no last name even if he paid a sizable portion with a check. And why would the seller give you Andrew's email address so you can contact him? It's not like you tried to contact him on their behalf. You said you contacted him wanting to purchase some golden age Captain Americas, and looking at your posting history it doesn't look like you even posted in the Gold Section before. And if you have his email address, how do you only know his first name or know if he is a major dealer or not?

Not saying you're not being 100% honest, but you brought this wildly fantastical story to light, lacking details, just don't expect not to be scrutinized as you are the source of the story.

She/he whatever, gave me his email address andy_comics@yahoo.ca Said his name was Andrew

Why she/he whatever gave it to me, who knows? It's another bogus yahoo email like the kijiji one in the ad. So just a way to string me along some more I suppose

Just because I've never posted in the GA section doesn't mean I don't wish I had some GA Timely books. They're just out of my league so I'm a Silver/Bronze guy mostly

I can't believe I read 48 pages over the last few days for nothing. What a waste of time.

Aw c'mon... it was like an episode of CSI or Major Crimes. We had a dramatic opening, followed by lots of intrigue, scientific investigations and dogged legwork involving obits, plenty of red herrings, a story which began to change and unravel when under interrogation, and finally the perpetrator breaks down and confesses.

And we even showcased fine art. What more can you ask for?

super-man%20by%20jared.jpg

I can't believe I read 48 pages over the last few days for nothing. What a waste of time.

Aw c'mon... it was like an episode of CSI or Major Crimes. We had a dramatic opening, followed by lots of intrigue, scientific investigations and dogged legwork involving obits, plenty of red herrings, a story which began to change and unravel when under interrogation, and finally the perpetrator breaks down and confesses.

You certainly missed your calling. ;)

And we even showcased fine art. What more can you ask for?

super-man%20by%20jared.jpg

:grin:

I thought it was entertaining. (shrug)

I just want to know which board member is "Mary" and which one is "Elise".

Back in page 40 (before the big reveal in page 41) DealpoolJr. did a poll on how the boardies felt how real this "collection" is. I don't know how to do a pic grab but here are the results out of 113 votes:

Yes 12%

Maybe 35%

No 52%

I voted "no." How did you vote?

Man, I am glad everyone is buying the hoax angle.

Now I can start moving these books into the market without people calling me a monster for ripping of a couple of old ladies.

Ripping off old ladies and young kids is what this hobby was built on!!

And don't forget widows and orphans!