• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Score of the century!!

497 posts in this topic

This listing is too good to take. With such these titles and numbers going over the list ... no one would be blind to pass over that. Given that Batman is too well known from these comics, the lady seller should know these books have greater value in the first place before putting up for sale on kijiji. hm

This listing is too good to take. With such these titles and numbers going over the list ... no one would be blind to pass over that. Given that Batman is too well known from these comics, the lady seller should know these books have greater value in the first place before putting up for sale on kijiji. hm

except 32K isn't chump change and is a lot of money to most.

Sorry the lady got taken.

I know of a local story about a guy (and dealer) who found a Craiglist ad with some very high end early Silver Age (early FF and such). I won't name names, but the story goes that the day he went to see the collection (out in the boonies), an older gentlemen had said that several dealers were a no show and he was peeved about it (turns out it was a convention weekend). The 'guy' said he only had 3 grand cash or so, and realized the collection was worth more (as did the elderly guy) but could bring more cash later, the elderly guy was flustered and upset and said he was going to give it away to a local library or kid's charity... he just didn't feel like waiting any more... finally, he gave in and sold it to the 'guy' to be done with it. The 'guy' was able to flip most to another well-known high end dealer for near 6 figures. He was able to buy into a store with the proceeds and became a dealer himself.

A lot of competing dealers had some animosity about it... saying he took advantage (sour grapes maybe). But that 'guy' was one of the best dealers I ever had the pleasure to buy from. The deals do surface, and hate to say how much gas I wasted chasing garbage marketed as gold, but they exist and a lot of the stories go unsaid.

Yeah but the guy in your story paid $3k for a @ 10k collection that is not a bad as paying 32k for a collection if true could approach a couple million dollars

6 figures != 10k , I'd say it was a pretty good (lottery like) ROI. Doh my bad, I meant 6 (corrected earlier post).

But, millions yeah, a bit of a stretch I agree. Part of it depends on the condition though. Maybe they were poor to fair.

She said they were mostly in nice condition but her not being a collector you know how that goes.

I asked and got the email of the buyer. Just emailed him to see if I could buy some Captain America comics off him.

We'll see if he replies!

Condition was the first question I had, too. Even missing a few wraps, some of those keys would make up the price paid for the lot. As a potential buyer, it's a tough call whether to inspect the books closely or to take the books and run. If the seller got her asking price, she should only complain to herself that she didn't ask more.

Hope she does file a complaint of fraud. Very dishonest stating they were second prints :( feel sorry for people at times..

More ways of being successful than deceiving people. Oh well. it shouldn't be too hard to track him down if she calls the local authorizes and states she was swindles out of close to a million dollars.

Come to think of it, I don't know much about Canada, but would it make sense for a Canadian guy to accumulate 39 boxes full of 1st edition American copies decades ago? If they were second hand 1st editions and purchased more recently (or over the years), he would likely let her know about the value.

Something seems odd about all that.

If you're someone who doesn't know anything about comics, $32,000 is alot of money to turn down on the spot.

There may have actually been some 2nd editions in the other boxes. The list on the first page may have only been 1 or 2 boxes out of 31. Either way, it was a low-ball offer that, in this case, was accepted. I feel bad for the lady. :(