• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd Print, 3rd Print, 4th Print 1000000th Print

9 posts in this topic

A reprint of a reprint of a reprint....................

So as I was doing some scans of my Batman (2011) it came to me how much money I have spent on 2nd prints 3rd prints and so on. Now I am a fan of variant covers because I like the different Art Work by different artists, and there are a couple 2nd prints with variant covers but mostly just the same cover with a different color background. Some of the old school seconds only have a different barcode box. I don't like the idea of second + prints because as a collector I feel that it takes away from the fact that even if a book sells out that I have that issue and bought it at its face value or spent days on eBay waiting for it to show up and won it! Now I know why they print them because the comic book company's are a business and want the $, and of course I have to buy them because what if one day the 3rd print is worth more than the first because they only made 500 or something. But the point of this rant is to see if any of the collectors out there know what comic book was the first to start this trend of reprinting a comic book! I have no clue and couldn't find a definitive answer. I am just curious to find out of all the amazing comic book through the years what issue of what comic book was so good that they said hey lets cash in on this one. If anyone knows or just hates/loves second prints please let me know. Thanks for reading!

15094.jpg

See more journals by eMTe

agree

They have reprinted comics pretty much right from the start. Lots of the cartoon funnies would be reprinted numerous times. Comics were like books. They print some and there is a demand for more, they print another batch. I am not sure when the concept of changing covers to make more sales was thought up. I find it odd that second and third prints of comics come out at the same time.

When a fifth printing of a #1 issue gets added to a registry set I get a little irritated. I was a completest but not anymore. Why bother if there are minor differences to the same cover?

I like it when they at least change the cover color, I'm less a fan of Image where its the same one and they just put 2nd, 3rd etc, on the same cover.

TMNT was not the first to have multiple printings but it was the one of the all-time most popular because of the low print runs of the first issues. The #1 issue only has a print run of 3000 copies, factor in the survival rate and you actually really needed the subsequent print runs all of which are also low.

Whitman was probably the greatest when it came to reprints because of all of the Gold Key & DC books that they published.

Hope this helps :)

A~

To be honest, as a Collector, I am not a fan of multiple printings... but as an everyday reader they do not bother me. In fact for me, these later printings are suitable as reading copies.

I own just a few 2nd or 3rd printings of any title. I remember when Marvel Graphic Novels first came out (1982 I believe)... Death of Captain Marvel, Elric, and Dreadstar had multiple printings. It was here that I bought 2nd and 3rd prints of these MGN's because the 1st print runs had sold out. I still view them as inferior to the 1st prints in terms of value. And back in the day... that was the perception: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc had less value.

But what I love about this hobby is that this perception has done a 180 and later print runs with lower circulation numbers are now prized possessions. Heck... it makes sense since we collectors manage to find a way to take little-itty-bitty distinctions and attributes like these, in to something worth collecting. I believe the "completist" has much to do with this.

I remember when errors and misprints were fun and valuable to collect due mostly to their rarity. But for some reason with the CGC, that is no longer a desirable trait and brings the grade down. I still find misprints and printing errors to be interesting and rare gems and therefor highly desirable and I'm hoping this positive view comes back in vogue.

Where would society be without reprints? Most books and vinyl records/CD's are reprinted over and over again. Imagine if the classics, best sellers or popular albums never got reprinted or reissued? Technically, 90 percent of my book and music library (not iTunes) are reprints of the original classics (Classic Literature and Rock Albums of the 60's, 70's and 80's). And I thank the Printing Gods for it!

BTW... nice looking book with GC's signature. Congrats!

SW3D

Well said SW3D, in fact I can remember my favorite Comic Book Store back in the day would sell any and all of the following: G.I. Joe 2nd prints, all love/romance story books, westerns and war printed after 1970 in the 10 & 25 cent bin. The store owner would not even re-purchase reprints back from customers.