• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you rather have a 5.0 CGC graded or 6.0 graded by good dealer

38 posts in this topic

**Quickly checks all internet website to find book in quest and purchase**

That's funny because I asked a question about a book awhile back on the forums and another member did buy the book before I had a chance to make an informed decision. We are taking within a couple of hours or less for me to make that decision. :eyeroll:

This does happen so always be careful of the specifics being posted.

For the original poster, there are many different variables to consider before answering the question. Personally, if it is a trusted dealer that YOU have dealt with in the past and had their raw books come back from CGC as advertised, then it is a no brainer to go with the higher graded book.

Don't buy the label buy the book! Look at both scans of the book and if the 6.0 looks way better than the CGC 5.0, then go with the 6.0 for sure. 2c

Easy. The trusted dealer. Plus you can see the book for yourself. A 6.0 raw from a guy like Jim Payette will likely come back a 7.0 from cgc

Edit: the trusted dealers I have dealt with have no issues with a return if resto is detected

lol I expect nothing less from you man! I've already got the book that sparked my question so no risk there. I got a CGC 5.0 last week and I saw a FNish copy sold for about $20 more yesterday. You do get the restoration check with the graded book.

lol I expect nothing less from you man! I've already got the book that sparked my question so no risk there. I got a CGC 5.0 last week and I saw a FNish copy sold for about $20 more yesterday. You do get the restoration check with the graded book.

ALWAYS go with the one that offers a free Marvel Mini book with purchase ;)

lol

xxx ooo

Rupp

ALWAYS go with the one that offers a free Marvel Mini book with purchase ;)

lol

xxx ooo

Rupp

:signfunny: I'm definitely stoked with the purchase and looking at the scans the book looks as nice as the FNish book. I'm always curious about the value imparted to a book by being slabbed. Sounds like most people would go with a higher graded book if they saw it in hand or felt 100% comfortable with the grader. Cool discussion.

I'm always curious about the value imparted to a book by being slabbed. Sounds like most people would go with a higher graded book if they saw it in hand or felt 100% comfortable with the grader. Cool discussion.

Yes, so long as the seller is reputable with a good return policy there should be no problem. Remember, all books are born raw and eventually grow up to become bubble boys in them CGC holders. :grin:

Get those youngin's for more affordable prices before it gets rammed into a big plastic bubble to potentially cost you more to aquire!

Assuming both books are priced about the same and appear to be the grade advertised ( not just the raw, but the slabbed as well), and I had no reason to suspect the dealer wouldn't disclose resto, I'd go with the 6.0 raw, especially as I wouldn't bother slabbing it myself.

I was pretty happy to pick up a raw Strange Tales 126 advertised at 7.0. Seller seems to have good credentials, and book looks pretty sharp. Page quality really blew me away, white pages...mmm good. Anyhow, after seeing what copies of that same comic were going for in slabs, I was excited to get the raw. Some books, I just like raw and want to keep in mylar. My Strange Tales will all end up slabbed sooner or later, but it's pretty cool to have this one free and loose for now.

Short version: a good raw from a reputable dealer any day.