• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading tiers

6 posts in this topic

Does anybody know why the tiers are designed as ages and value rather than just value? It would seem that the value of the book should determine the price of grading rather than the age. I can send a book from 1980 valued at $200 and it will cost me $18 to have graded, but if I want to send a book from 1979 that is worth $20 best I can do is $35 unless I send 15 or more then I can do it for $25. Why is CGC so willing to grade books that are from 1980 or newer, but anything older demands a lot more money or a larger quantity of books even if the books are valued at far less? Thanks. -Steve

A question I've been wondering about as I have a few SA books I would like to submit at some point.

Only thing I can come up with is maybe the older books are simply harder to grade and take more time to do so.

I understand insurance concerns on the really high-dollar books, but really... it seems silly. Then again, the CGC is making money hand over fists, so who is to question their tactics? I am sure their accountants aren't complaining.

:/

-slym

Maybe they have figured out a brand new book never opened only touched my fingers twice flat as a pancake and never opened takes less time to grade that a book they have to look at every page check for restoration .

If so this may explain it .

It must be 4 or 5 times more profitable to grade 30 brand new books in a row than one silver age funny

:)