• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone heard of the Q-Collection Project?

29 posts in this topic

Some guy who claimed to be involved in the project made a thread discussing it on the Comic Book Resources forum.

In a nutshell, they take key classic comics and destroy them (from a collector standpoint) in the name of preserving them - or "preserving" (depending on your perspective) - for the sake retaining them for thousands of years.

They laminate each page by literally cooking the laminate onto the individual pages and rebind the pages into a wooden binder. The wood, they claim, is made from an exotic iron bark that has been hardened over thousands of years.

They have destroyed/preserved many, many keys, including an AF 15. They claim to receive no government funding, so I assume someone has deep pockets.

http://q-comics.com/index.htm

Yes. I used to be part of a comic forum with the guy that runs the project.

Not my thing but I don't understand why others get upset about it. People can do what they want with their own books.

Not my thing but I don't understand why others get upset about it. People can do what they want with their own books.

I guess for the same reason I cringe whenever I find out someone "restored" an old coin or gun with a wire brush. My mind knows it's their property, but my heart can't help wanting to thump them upside the head.

They laminate each page by literally cooking the laminate onto the individual pages and rebind the pages into a wooden binder. The wood, they claim, is made from an exotic iron bark that has been hardened over thousands of years.

They could just scan each page and "preserve" the book in a digital form that could be read or even printed out and assembled as a reproduction...would serve the same purpose and theoretically last forever...

Could damage but not destroy the original...

+1

That is the beautiful thing about ownership.

+1

That is the beautiful thing about ownership.

(thumbs u

As long as they're not shredding the highest-grade, pristine copies (which from the photos it's obvious they're not) then what's the big deal?

It's like the SS program - it's designed for mid-grade, nice eye-appeal copies and people only get angry when some numbskull defaces a CGC 9.6 Church copy or something.

If someone wants to do this with their books, why not. On the bright side, the more books they do this to, the less are on the market, market value rises due to rarity and demand. If you have a key book, I would be cheering for these guys. Your originals will be worth way more because of it.

Just a thought.

:ohnoez: