• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Controversial Power Puff Girls Variant Cover

60 posts in this topic

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the particular image on it's own. I believe the controversy was people saying these characters are supposed to be young girls (5-6yrs old) and this is an all-ages book.

in this cover they've been made into these adult woman and been made to look slightly sexy. Again, nothing wrong with that, it's actually tastefully done in my opinion. It's more the subject matter than the actual drawing that people are up in arms about.

More here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/24/cartoon-network-pulls-controversial-powerpuff-girls-cover/

And here: http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/01/empowering-vs-protecting-the-children/

Looking up the skirt of a child is a disgusting way to sell a comic book.

Dan

The women on the cover aren't children. It's an alternate reality cover depicting them as adults. It's been done many times the other direction.

414ltzzAUML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is a variant cover meant for collectors, not as children's reading material.

Okay. I find it personally offensive. Different strokes for different folks.

Dan

I understand and I respect your views on it.

Personally I put a lot of weight behind intent, and I don't believe the artist intended it to be suggestive toward children.

I agree that intent is everything and that it is in the eye of the beholder. I see too much J. Scott Campbell in these young girls - who I identify as an artist that works in a sexual vein.

Dan

I think the "uproar" is that the PPG aren't women - they are 6-7 year old girls. And now, you are looking up the skirt of a 6-7 year old girl on the cover of this comic. I am pretty sure one of the articles posted about this says that the writer & artist both have said this isn't a "future depiction" of the PPG, this is them at 6-7 years old as depicted by the artist.

That is going to throw sparks...

-slym