• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Required Reading

15 posts in this topic

In an effort to be a more knowledgeable collector upon my return to the hobby than I was when I left it, I've picked up some books to read. So I recently bought Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe and Comic Wars by Dan Raviv. I began reading the latter this morning and will read the Howe book next. I've also got Kirby: King of Comics by Mark Evanier to read and have read The Art of Jack Kirby.

So what books do you recommend? Maybe those books that any fan of the medium should read and then maybe those books that would complement any of the above listed.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Nick Cardy: Behind The Art

http://www.amazon.com/Nick-Cardy-Behind-Eric-Nolen-Weathington/dp/1893905993/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391359501&sr=1-3

I haven't seen another book exactly like this. He takes a look at a lot of his work and discusses from an artistic stand point. It's more like the discussions we'd have in Art History class than most books about comics you're gonna find.

I don't own this one, but it has great reviews and 416 pages: FELDSTEIN: The Mad Life and Fantastic Art of Al Feldstein!

"...large book which is in beautiful color containing original art, splash pages, some entire stories reprinted, EC ads, early good girl comics, original paintings & early photos of inside the EC offices..."

61Ni-VbOOgL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Kavalier and Clay is a great one. Michael Chabon is a gifted writer. I've been adding these to my queue. Looking forward to all of this.

I've preordered this, which might interest any Steranko fans.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193433118X/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just finished Marvel Comics The Untold Story & thought it was very interesting. Learning about some of the bad aspects of the business was kind of a bummer but it had lots of info about the people involved at Marvel over the years. Worth reading for sure.

Nick Cardy: Behind The Art

http://www.amazon.com/Nick-Cardy-Behind-Eric-Nolen-Weathington/dp/1893905993/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391359501&sr=1-3

I haven't seen another book exactly like this. He takes a look at a lot of his work and discusses from an artistic stand point. It's more like the discussions we'd have in Art History class than most books about comics you're gonna find.

Thanks, had no idea this existed. I always love Cardy covers, would be cool to get his take on his work.