• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tec #35 sold / Mister Mystery #1 Spokane Ped. Pre Code Horror added

10 posts in this topic

Here is a pretty special book. The covers are complete front to rear, which makes the grading notes deceptively negative.

Grading notes are as follows:

Right bottom interior moderate chews.

Staple cover detached

Spine large multiple spine split

Right center back cover tear

Left center back cover moderate multiple tear

Full center back cover heavy multiple crease

Full center front cover heavy multiple crease

Back cover water damage

Front cover water damage

Interior restoration lightened

In short, the reason the book received a 0.5 designation was because the interior pages had some corners missing that affected the story, but as you can see the book looks much better than the assigned 0.5 grade because the cover is complete. So what is a 'complete cover' Tec #35 worth?

The owner of the book swears the interior pages were never cleaned. They are designated as white. Cover and 1st wrap are married.

Tough book to price as it's obviously not your regular 0.5 fugly copy. I sold a coverless Tec #35 many years ago (maybe 6 or 7 years ago) on this forum for north of $1000 IIRC. Guide 2.0 is $4K and a 1.5 Universal just sold for $7,000. An SP 1.0 sold for $4500. Both the 1.0 and 1.5 sold last year.

I'm asking $5000. Feel free to drop me a PM with any questions or concerns. SOLD!

DetectiveComics35CGCfront.jpg

DetectiveComics35CGCback.jpg

So is it listed as incomplete because of the chew? Seems a bit nuts unless that was some massive damage?

Presents very well.

James G

The previous owner of the book told me there was a corner missing off the last page, and when he explained it to me he made a motion that seemed to indicate about a 3 or 4" diagonal rip on the last page. My understanding is that this is the reason the book got an 'incomplete' designation. The guy that had the book graded apparently was upset about the designation and argued it with CGC.

I debated cracking the book out to see what the interior looked like but haven't done it.

I think it's worth noting that the cover is unrestored. :grin:

Mister Mystery #1 Spokane copy added. Very cool book - if you don't know anything about the Spokane Pedigree, much of the pre code from that collection came with some of the best page quality of any pedigree found.

Technical grade is approx 7.0/7.5 but again, this is one of those "buy the book, not the grade" scenarios. Spokanes are rarely out on the open market. This is a gorgeous pre code horror book. Pages look to be white. Asking price is $1000 shipped within North America.

MisterMystery1front.jpg

MisterMystery1back.jpg

So is it listed as incomplete because of the chew? Seems a bit nuts unless that was some massive damage?

Presents very well.

James G

The previous owner of the book told me there was a corner missing off the last page, and when he explained it to me he made a motion that seemed to indicate about a 3 or 4" diagonal rip on the last page. My understanding is that this is the reason the book got an 'incomplete' designation. The guy that had the book graded apparently was upset about the designation and argued it with CGC.

I debated cracking the book out to see what the interior looked like but haven't done it.

I think it's worth noting that the cover is unrestored. :grin:

CGC used that same logic in assigning some of the Central Valley books a Qualified grade as Incomplete.