• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Victora Von Doom? FF Reboot News

82 posts in this topic

Someone at FOX said they haven't ruled out the idea of making Dr.Doom female.

Wouldn't they have to change her name to Nurse Doom? :baiting:

Suck it

Suck it

I like you, Greggy....I've always liked you.

You're big....you're mean....you're ugly....and you smell like fermented cat feces...on second thought....I hate you.

Suck it

You're big....you're mean....you're ugly....and you smell like fermented cat feces...on second thought....I hate you.

You haven't emailed lately after I mocked you about Peyton's previous choke in the Superbowl.

Suck it

You haven't emailed lately after I mocked you about Peyton's previous choke in the Superbowl.

Peyton never chokes in a Superbowl! :makepoint:

OMAHA!!!!

Screw em, screw 'em all...I've had this avatar for nearly 12 years now, I'm not changing it to some chick called Victoria.

It was bad enough that they made the Ultimate Doom Belgian.

Unfortunately our good Doctor after this movie

hero-envy-doctordoom04.jpg

will be joining Nick Fury

steranko_nickfury.jpg

for many years in comic book limbo. :(

Studios aren't spending $250 million to appease someone's idea of what's politically correct.

They do it because they believe diversity will open up the potential audience for it, and make it even more marketable overseas.

It's about money.

So are there more potential diverse viewers than there would be viewers who just want to see a good FF movie (with the original characters).

I'd like to see a demographic of comic readers & comic movie goers, breakout of race, sexual orientation, etc.

The budget for the two Fox FF films was something like $230M ($100M & $130M), not counting any marketing/advertising. Domestically, the two films generated $286M, with $50M of that 'win' coming from FF1. But they generated another $330M from the foreign BO. So, a decent win overall from the franchise. But the drop-off in the 2nd movie made studio execs nervous.

The studios only release those numbers because they make almost every film look good. They don't include marketing costs which usually approach half of the production costs, distribution costs, production costs absorbed by the studio, and any other costs not directly related to the shoot. And they never include the eventual costs--or profit--from television licensing and DVD sales. I've never heard the total real cost or income for any film, ever. And studios don't want that info to be public, either. The numbers do look good enough such that they probably did make millions in profit, just not hundreds of millions like the numbers appear to tally up to. Maybe tens of millions though, but that's a high margin of risk.

Just the fact that they cancelled the planned third film and Surfer spinoff tells me that the profit margins were too thin to risk going in the same direction they were before. :sorry:

you seem to forget that the movie theaters take roughly 50% of the domestic take and a much higher percentage of the foreign box office total. throw that in with the marketing costs mentioned above and you can estimate that the movies made nothing from theatrical release. i'm sure they were profitable after DVD, etc but not wildly so.

The budget for the two Fox FF films was something like $230M ($100M & $130M), not counting any marketing/advertising. Domestically, the two films generated $286M, with $50M of that 'win' coming from FF1. But they generated another $330M from the foreign BO. So, a decent win overall from the franchise. But the drop-off in the 2nd movie made studio execs nervous.

The studios only release those numbers because they make almost every film look good. They don't include marketing costs which usually approach half of the production costs, distribution costs, production costs absorbed by the studio, and any other costs not directly related to the shoot. And they never include the eventual costs--or profit--from television licensing and DVD sales. I've never heard the total real cost or income for any film, ever. And studios don't want that info to be public, either. The numbers do look good enough such that they probably did make millions in profit, just not hundreds of millions like the numbers appear to tally up to. Maybe tens of millions though, but that's a high margin of risk.

Just the fact that they cancelled the planned third film and Surfer spinoff tells me that the profit margins were too thin to risk going in the same direction they were before. :sorry:

you seem to forget that the movie theaters take roughly 50% of the domestic take and a much higher percentage of the foreign box office total. throw that in with the marketing costs mentioned above and you can estimate that the movies made nothing from theatrical release. i'm sure they were profitable after DVD, etc but not wildly so.

I believe the estimates are that studios get about 55% of US Box Office take and 15% of foreign Box Office take.

Studios aren't spending $250 million to appease someone's idea of what's politically correct.

They do it because they believe diversity will open up the potential audience for it, and make it even more marketable overseas.

It's about money.

So are there more potential diverse viewers than there would be viewers who just want to see a good FF movie (with the original characters).

I'd like to see a demographic of comic readers & comic movie goers, breakout of race, sexual orientation, etc.

The statistic most used with American audiences is that the lower the income bracket, the more they spend at the movies.

The lower the income bracket, the more diverse the population becomes.

Thus your demographic model.

Movies aren't trying to be a 'slice of life' for what we see and experience in real life.

They're trying to be what we'll BUY, stretched out over to the highest percentage of people.

It's all about the money.

Why do you think we see an endless repeat of themes and ideas in all forms of entertainment?

It's very rarely about creativity...it's ALWAYS about money.

Considering the fact that space travel is becoming more commercialized, the origin story could be told in more realistic terms now than ever before. Reed could pony up a few million to someone like Richard Branson to pilot a space flight for scientific reasons but insist upon using his own crew. Cosmic rays happen and all hell breaks loose. Seems like an easy path to an updated origin story.