• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are YOUR top bronze age favorites?

56 posts in this topic

For reading, I like offbeat and genre stuff. My favorite Bronze Age characters and runs are Warlord, Unknown Soldier and Jonah Hex. I also like the original Ghost Rider series, the Losers in Our Fighting Forces, the original Life with Archie and Conan.

For mainstream superhero stuff, Avengers is pretty much impossible to beat.

I am going to have to add the Frank Brunner Doctor Strange run and I also love the Early Kull's, some beautiful art from Marie and John Sevrin.

The Starlin Captain Marvel Run and Warlock run.

The Forth World! I am definitely a fan.

All of the above are as an adult going back but at the time I collected Captain America and Avengers. I think both titles were strong in the seventies.

For reading, I like offbeat and genre stuff. My favorite Bronze Age characters and runs are Warlord, Unknown Soldier and Jonah Hex. I also like the original Ghost Rider series, the Losers in Our Fighting Forces, the original Life with Archie and Conan.

For mainstream superhero stuff, Avengers is pretty much impossible to beat.

I had forgotten about Warlord and Unknown Soldier. Great series! Good choices! (thumbs u

Conan, Savage Sword, Jungle Action by Graham and Master Of Kung Fu by Moench and Gulacy were my cup of tea growing up.The coolest for me were the horror reprints from Marvel though. I could tell that they were from older comics and many were reprints from titles I had never heard of.

My fave ASM cover. This copy should arrive any day now.... :cloud9:

Amazing Spider-man 136 is one of my favorite books, and I can remember watching Harry degenerate through the 130's, and finally turning to the last page of ASM 135.. let's just say I was nearly camped out at the spinner rack until the next issue arrived.

144820.jpg.3de0d20de408a68582a248708ade655a.jpg

My favorite Bronze Age Books:

1) House of Mystery 202 (/Cool Kaluta cover and I own the highest CGC graded copy: the lone 9.8 (W). That's really the reason I like it a lot.

2) DC 100 page Super Spectacular 4 with the all-black wraparound Berni Wrightson Demon cover. I own a high-grade that I sumbitted to CGC about 2 weeks ago. I also have a nice mid-grade reading copy.

3) Lois Lane 106, the classic "I Am Curious Black" story. It was way ahead of its time. Finally found a HG unslabbed copy just a couple of weeks ago.

4) Green Lantern 76--One of the best Adams' covers and a great Denny O'Neil story arc. I had a beautiful copy but I sold it for "crazy money" four years ago.

Nova 12 - teenage Nova says his mind will stay blocked so the Sphinx won't be able to forcibly take information from Nova's mind. Very cool when you're a teenager reading this & see that a teenager can beat a mega-powerful villain

Green Lantern 85 - great cover & drug story

Avengers 163 - great cover & Hank Pym domestic abuse storyline unveiled

World's Finest 236 - great story about an infection passing between people where Atom has to shrink down and enter a body to investigate. The apparent monsters causing the damage are really antibodies fighting the disease & the whole issue shows many aspects of the inner workings of a human body. It's just one of those stories that always stuck with me as a favorite. Much better than I'm describing it.

For the non Zombie crew Wein/Wrightson and O'Neill/Adams comic books in the BA were all top notch. Is it me or does Denny not get the props that he should for writing all those Batman and Green Lantern stories? Overshadowed, as many things in Comics are, by the art - and don't get me wrong Adams art in the 70s was (there really is no single word) but the stories O'neill was churning are still something to admire.

Highlights for me are this cover:

scan0067.jpg

Jarella :luhv:

scan0066.jpg

And the wonderful art of the late great Ernie Chan.

scan0248.jpg

scan0356.jpg

scan0355.jpg

scan0029-1.jpg

scan0028-1.jpg

scan0026-1.jpg

scan0025.jpg

I have not read a comic for over 30 years but I remember amazing adventures war of the worlds with killraven as getting my attention. I should dig them out and read them again. My main interest was xmen avengers invader defenders cap america