• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby gone these 20 years and a day

56 posts in this topic

For me, the love of Kirby has been a steadily growing thing. I've always known he was badass, but there was a long time when he hadn't really entered my heart, as it were. But time goes by, and I love him more and more; for his art, his attitude, his work ethic, his inspiration, his influence, and the history that he's such a huge part of.

Infantino's still my favorite comic artist, but I've given up trying to convince myself that he's as much a giant as Kirby is. That's just dumb, Kirby really is The King. (worship) And Carmine, if you're reading this up there, being a second stringer to the best ever is no insult. And say "What up" to Jack for us. :)

The older I have gotten the more I appreciate Kirby for his art and ideas.

Truly he was the King of Comics. There will never be another talent like Jack Kirby bursting with new ideas for the future comic book industry, and I find that sad in a way. :(

It is a direct tie-in to the story, that's why I love that page!

That, and it's from my very favorite phase of Kirby's art on FF.

I would love it too, and even if there are just Sue and Crystal in it.

In my page, there’s everyone except Sue (including Blastaar, Sandman and Triton) but I almost think that I’d love a page with Sue at the hospital instead… :)

I can "defend" myself with this one (although as I said in other occasions, I am pretty sure it was Roz which signed it, because very likely Jack already had problems when I visited him, but this makes it even more valuable to me… :) )

…but I would love to have a GA Cap (or even a GA Newsboy Legion or Boy Commandos) signed by Jack, and possibly Joe Simon.

xr7KyUxh.jpg

His Wikipedia entry has this nice passage:

"The New York Times, in a Sunday op-ed piece written more than a decade after his death, said of Kirby:

'He created a new grammar of storytelling and a cinematic style of motion. Once-wooden characters cascaded from one frame to another—or even from page to page—threatening to fall right out of the book into the reader's lap. The force of punches thrown was visibly and explosively evident. Even at rest, a Kirby character pulsed with tension and energy in a way that makes movie versions of the same characters seem static by comparison.'"

I can "defend" myself with this one (although as I said in other occasions, I am pretty sure it was Roz which signed it, because very likely Jack already had problems when I visited him, but this makes it even more valuable to me… :) )

…but I would love to have a GA Cap (or even a GA Newsboy Legion or Boy Commandos) signed by Jack, and possibly Joe Simon.

xr7KyUxh.jpg

Magnifico Claudio, Magnifico!!!

His Wikipedia entry has this nice passage:

"The New York Times, in a Sunday op-ed piece written more than a decade after his death, said of Kirby:

'He created a new grammar of storytelling and a cinematic style of motion. Once-wooden characters cascaded from one frame to another—or even from page to page—threatening to fall right out of the book into the reader's lap. The force of punches thrown was visibly and explosively evident. Even at rest, a Kirby character pulsed with tension and energy in a way that makes movie versions of the same characters seem static by comparison.'"

It's the reason I mentioned Jack's raw pencils earlier in the thread. There is so much energy and movement in his work, it's really quite beautiful. Sometimes I feel that energy is lost in the inking with no disrespect intended (well maybe Vinnie). I swear Jack could do a still life of a bowl of fruit and have you feel as if it would burst from the page.