• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL Foreign Golden Age Thread

132 posts in this topic

Ugly cover, but here’s the third appearance of Superman in Italy, from september 1939.

Two previous albums published the initial newspaper strips by Siegel and Schuster, but with this issue, possibly due to a shortage or import problems of the material, Vincenzo and Zenobio Baggioli, which were responsible for the adaptation of the material, started to write and draw original stories.

Superman is named Ciclone ("Hurricane") and the costume continues to change color, becoming green in this and in the following few albums.

In 1940 an additional sequence of Siegel and Schuster strips will be published on the journal l’Audace, and then we’ll have to wait after the war (around 1946-47) to see additional Superman material by Edizioni Mondiali (which also published it in France):

d1uuxT5h.jpg

Back cover:

YqJ0bW5h.jpg

Here’s an article by Federico Falcolini from the Metropolis website, with some not-so-accurate information (also as related to the fascist regime policy towards american comics), but useful to have an idea:

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_feature.php?article_id=223&type=feature&action=view

Those Conans are fantastic,and very scarce I imagine.is that years of collecting or did you score them all at once as a collection?

It was kind of both. I had been looking for some for years and that was known among REH collectors. But these came from two collections in which the owners came to me to sell. They are incredibly scarce -- some of these weren't even known to exist until a couple of years ago.

vZ14ftO.jpg

j6133lW.jpg

They are really beautiful, and fascinating. Strictly speaking, however, as I just pointed out, these are foreign comics in their own right, not foreign editions. :)

The Superman I posted is an "hybrid", as the series started with the original US strips, then the authors went on to produce stories on their own, and eventually other original newspaper strips were published during 1940.

The Guri is awesome, I’d love to find one… at least I would have a GA Cap, although in a foreign edition… lol

Those Conans are fantastic,and very scarce I imagine.is that years of collecting or did you score them all at once as a collection?

It was kind of both. I had been looking for some for years and that was known among REH collectors. But these came from two collections in which the owners came to me to sell. They are incredibly scarce -- some of these weren't even known to exist until a couple of years ago.

vZ14ftO.jpg

j6133lW.jpg

Infreakincredible!!!

Ugly cover, but here’s the third appearance of Superman in Italy, from september 1939.

Two previous albums published the initial newspaper strips by Siegel and Schuster, but with this issue, possibly due to a shortage or import problems of the material, Vincenzo and Zenobio Baggioli, which were responsible for the adaptation of the material, started to write and draw original stories.

Superman is named Ciclone ("Hurricane") and the costume continues to change color, becoming green in this and in the following few albums.

In 1940 an additional sequence of Siegel and Schuster strips will be published on the journal l’Audace, and then we’ll have to wait after the war (around 1946-47) to see additional Superman material by Edizioni Mondiali (which also published it in France):

d1uuxT5h.jpg

Nothing ugly about that. Very cool.

Ok, first off, I no longer own this book, but I sold it to someone I know well enough to think he wouldn't mind me sharing the pics I took of it when it WAS my book. Portuguese book with mostly Timely contents. I originally posted this in the "other" foreign comics thread and had help from boardies identifying the contents. Refer back to that thread if you are curious (thumbs u

portcapc.jpg

This book is from Brazil. It is part of a series called Guri.

They were a bi-monthly publication that spawned for 2 series and 22 years.

The first series was published from 1940-1953 with a total of 354 issues. What you have here is issue # 135.

The second series was published with the same name, by another editor from 1954-1962 with a total of 317 issues.

Most of these don´t even have available scans or information on contents, but they would make any Golden Age collector very happy

Some GA Conan comics from Mexico.

uuFdNLC.jpg

Holy . You really can´t find this stuff in Comic General.

Just wow.

(worship)

You mean stuff like a blond Conan fighting a Lovecraftian monster in a authorized Mexican bootleg comic from 1952?

Yeah, no, you won't find that in Comics General. ;)

cuentosreprint01_zps060f917c.jpg

MexFraz_zpsb1730b28.png

hector

that is slam along ding dong jam!!!!! Love it bro!!!!!! (worship)(worship)

If you ever find issue #50 please let me know. If you do find it and decide not to sell it i will cry lol

hey so i might be your future Texas neighbor i may move back this spring/early summer. The Alamo is calling my name

Btw, I think we should rename this thread the Non-US GA comic thread?

After all who is to say that the Americans aren't the "foreigners" from our POV ? :insane:

I have tried several times to explain foreign comics (of course, as referring to one’s own country of origin) and foreign editions are different things, but no one listens to me and these threads recently opened by Tim are already getting messy because there is a mixture of material posted.

At least, in my opinion, we should have

– a thread for foreign editions of american (U.S.A:) comic books, which is a topic which interests a portion of american collectors;

-– a thread about foreign comics (comics originated in different countries and cultures, and we can even go by language).

Yours is an original canadian comic, and in my criteria does not belong here. :)