• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL Foreign Golden Age Thread

132 posts in this topic

My bad. You are right. I did not read the OP, just the subject line.

I totally agree with drawing a huge line in the sand between original foreign comics and foreign editions of US comics.

I have little interest in "canadian editions" of US comics but I'm very interested in original canadian comics. Huge difference. The one is a reprint of a US comic the other is something entirely different.

And I can also see how some would be interested in "foreign editions" of US comics but not necessarily in original foreign comics.

SOrry for not reading the original post. I'll kill the images I posted.

My bad. You are right. I did not read the OP, just the subject line.

I totally agree with drawing a huge line in the sand between original foreign comics and foreign editions of US comics.

I have little interest in "canadian editions" of US comics but I'm very interested in original canadian comics. Huge difference. The one is a reprint of a US comic the other is something entirely different.

And I can also see how some would be interested in "foreign editions" of US comics but not necessarily in original foreign comics.

SOrry for not reading the original post. I'll kill the images I posted.

feel free to post any of your canadian books here. most of us love all foreign comics. I dont care where they come from I can appreciate them from any country any language whether its pence edition to original foreign non-reprintings.

I currently have books from 31 foreign countries. No discrimination here (thumbs u

feel free to post any of your canadian books here. most of us love all foreign comics. I dont care where they come from I can appreciate them from any country any language whether its pence edition to original foreign non-reprintings.

I currently have books from 31 foreign countries. No discrimination here (thumbs u

Tony, it’s just the opposite:

I understand the intent but you either have not read what I have written or you like confusion. I don’t like confusion, and thus I think foreign comics (which means comics not originated in the US) deserve a thread of their own.

This means to valorize them, not to discriminate. And discrimination is not a bad word, for what matters.

Yes, that’s the point. :)

That Nelvana is awesome, I would have never known it if you did not post it in a place where it could be seen.

Btw, I think we should rename this thread the Non-US GA comic thread?

I think we should have a thread like this in golden age (because more experienced collectors and people are more responsive to a worldwide historical approach), but I believe the title should not be "golden age".

"Golden age" is a term related to US comics history, in other countries we don’t have the same time frames, as they have been different the cultural stages by which "eras" have been defined.

For example:

- in Italy we have "Anteguerra" (meaning early 1900s to 1944) and "Dopoguerra" (meaning 1945-46 onwards);

- in Japan we have "modern manga" which begins in the post-war, while manga from the Meiji period are considered differently.

and the same kind of divisions apply to all different countries/cultures.

To me, it’s a worthy attempt… 2c

Tony, it’s just the opposite:

I understand the intent but you either have not read what I have written or you like confusion. I don’t like confusion, and thus I think foreign comics (which means comics not originated in the US) deserve a thread of their own.

This means to valorize them, not to discriminate. And discrimination is not a bad word, for what matters.

you can do create a new thread but it starts to split hairs and we are a very small group of foreign collectors. I dont want to step on your toes :)

the main culture on the boards is American so anything non-American just gets lumped into being "Foreign"

Define999 and I are both members of the Greek Forum and we are the foreigners.

either way i support you becasue I am biased toward foreign books :foryou::cloud9:

you can do create a new thread but it starts to split hairs and we are a very small group of foreign collectors. I dont want to step on your toes :)

the main culture on the boards is American so anything non-American just gets lumped into being "Foreign"

Define999 and I are both members of the Greek Forum and we are the foreigners.

either way i support you becasue I am biased toward foreign books :foryou::cloud9:

I think you are missing the point. While I agree the culture on the boards is largely US culture (with a good portion of Canadians to make it nice… :foryou: ), this is not at all "splitting hairs".

A foreign edition of, say, Spider-Man is something entirely different from, say - Tintin, Tex or Astro Boy, which for their respective countries (and/or for different geographical and language areas) are as much relevant as Superman, Archie or Flash Gordon, so to speak.

That’s why I refrained to post anything different from foreign editions here.

Of course, there is also a larger discourse when a character/series becomes so popular because of its universality that it gathers a worldwide recognition. That is the case of Disney comics (whose "universal" vocation was within them since the beginning, given Walt Disney’s vision), of the Smurfs, and partially of Astro Boy (but it was very little known in Italy until recently, while thanks to the animated TV series it was huge in both Australia and USA in the 1960s).

In this case, "foreign edition" loses a bit of its meaning, as the works are shared on a global scale because in different ways they touched universal chords and/or values. That is the reason for which I do not consider american Disney comics or Disney comics from our italian school to be "foreign" to each other, as they belong to a shared heritage.

Hope this makes things clearer. (thumbs u

I do like having a place to post all non US comics,as I do not travel around the boards much,and have non US books like you mentioned that I would not know where to post,like my PIF comics.If I had to go searching around all over I would miss out on stuff.yes,I know it's lazy....

The Superman is very nice. Does it use a custom created cover? (not familiar with the original covers).

I do like having a place to post all non US comics,as I do not travel around the boards much,and have non US books like you mentioned that I would not know where to post,like my PIF comics.If I had to go searching around all over I would miss out on stuff.yes,I know it's lazy....

Well, I think it’s no big issue to use the threads – although meant as more centered around the foreign editions – as a "showcase" for foreign original comics of the same period(s).

I would just suggest to state in the title (and in the first post) to mark books which aren’t mere foreign editions of US comic books as original works from the respective countries, if it’s possible.

this is a original created cover in Sweden.

That’s pretty sweet. Simple drawing, but nice cover layout. (thumbs u

I usually stick with the American covers but i just fell in love with this original Swedish artwork.

and how can you NOT love this batmobile?!?!?!

I posted this a few months ago, but I think it's a good idea to post this again here, it belongs to this thread

This is the first and second french appearance of Superman, in Journal Aventures 10 and 11, a weekly comic magazine/newspaper form March 7 and March 14, 1939 respectively. It features the Superman daily strips only 2 months after the first US publication, on January 16, 1939.

The colors and the paper quality are surprisingly good for a 74 years old newspaper, and issue 10 is uncut, just folded.

French people are weird, that's why they called him Yordi. Why, who knows.

BTW, spanish and italian people are weird too, so they called him Ciclon/Ciclone.

For what I know, it's probably the second european appearance of Superman, pre dated only by the belgian edition, published on Spirou 9, from March 2, 1939.

This is a list of the european appearances I am aware of:

Belgian, Spirou 6, MArch 2, 1939

French, Journal Aventures 10, March 7, 1939

Italian, Albi dell'Audacia 19, July 2, 1939

UK, triumph Magazine 772, August 5, 1939

Spanish, Ciclon el Super Hombre, early 1940

I thought you GA guys would enjoy.

Now, pics:

Aventures10_zps92f5565f.jpg

Aventures10-5_zpse1590df9.jpg

Aventures10-4_zps947aa819.jpg

Aventures10-3_zps206d7c83.jpg

Aventures10-6_zps6304ac75.jpg

Aventures11_zps999e8e96.jpg

Aventures11-3_zps95ca6625.jpg

Aventures11-7_zpsb2b2fab4.jpg

Aventures11-6_zps25dc02ad.jpg

Just picked this up from the Post office.

Brazilian Ebal 1948.

Printed just 5 months after the US copy.

Superman9EbalCapa_zpsc8ec7cfc.jpg

I love this!

I've been tempted to pick up some foreign GA, but have generally resisted expanding my focus, even though some books don't seem all that pricey when they come up. I did buy these last year as they were too cheap to pass up. The seller ended up selling a few sets, so he must have found a stash of unsold copies. They are practically treasury size.

PB050310_zps5cb8439a.jpg

Just picked this up from the Post office.

Brazilian Ebal 1948.

Printed just 5 months after the US copy.

Superman9EbalCapa_zpsc8ec7cfc.jpg

I love this!

I've been tempted to pick up some foreign GA, but have generally resisted expanding my focus, even though some books don't seem all that pricey when they come up. I did buy these last year as they were too cheap to pass up. The seller ended up selling a few sets, so he must have found a stash of unsold copies. They are practically treasury size.

PB050310_zps5cb8439a.jpg

Mexican Golden Age Spider-Man prototype. :applause: