• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL Foreign Golden Age Thread

132 posts in this topic

La Araña Verde? They look intriguing, what do they publish?

He's is a Blue Beetle inspired costumed crime fighter with no actual super powers. Interestingly his secret identity is "Steve Harley"

Here is a link to a scanned issue other than the ones I posted. They were published in the mid-50s in Mexico. One of my issues also has a jungle hero type strip.

http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29505

La Araña Verde? They look intriguing, what do they publish?

He's is a Blue Beetle inspired costumed crime fighter with no actual super powers. Interestingly his secret identity is "Steve Harley"

Here is a link to a scanned issue other than the ones I posted. They were published in the mid-50s in Mexico. One of my issues also has a jungle hero type strip.

http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29505

Aranã Verde = Green Spider

He´s got a web shooting gun of his own design.

He ´s got a Spider on his chest.

Spider-man prototype.

All it needs now is a Bleeding Cool article.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/a/aranaver.htm

FOOM 2 :sumo:

The Superman is very nice. Does it use a custom created cover? (not familiar with the original covers).

I do like having a place to post all non US comics,as I do not travel around the boards much,and have non US books like you mentioned that I would not know where to post,like my PIF comics.If I had to go searching around all over I would miss out on stuff.yes,I know it's lazy....

Well, I think it’s no big issue to use the threads – although meant as more centered around the foreign editions – as a "showcase" for foreign original comics of the same period(s).

I would just suggest to state in the title (and in the first post) to mark books which aren’t mere foreign editions of US comic books as original works from the respective countries, if it’s possible.

And I think that's appropriate here in the Gold section where we like any excuse -- even a weak one -- to post our funny books. :)

IMO any non-US comics, original or not, that are related in some way to the US GA should be fair game here. We don't need more than one non-US comic thread in Gold -- that would be over kill.

But I think identifying the nature of the books is not a bad thing at all -- more info is always good.

And so along those lines here's some more original Mexican Conan comics from 1952. While these are original, Conan at this point was still a little known American pulp character, This series also included issues with a Sheena knock-off and the pulp hero the Spider.

GQeXtMf.jpg

2K9CUcV.jpg

I didn't realize how small those things were. What does the Spider strip look like?

Unfortunately I don't have one with a spider story, just a cover appearance. Each issue is a full story of one character so it's more like Four Color than a regular anthology book. Another character is the Mad Monk who is like like a Crypt-Keeper knock off and is a host for one-off horror/thriller stories.

IMO any non-US comics, original or not, that are related in some way to the US GA should be fair game here. We don't need more than one non-US comic thread in Gold -- that would be over kill.

But I think identifying the nature of the books is not a bad thing at all -- more info is always good.

Well, as I said, while I can see the convenience of doing so, I don’t agree at all on the second part: as little interest as there may be, one thing are US comics translated abroad, and one thing are each other country original productions.

Without even resorting to Astro Boy, Tintin, the Smurfs, or the largest portion of the post-1950s Disney comics production (which is not US-american), there is such a quantity and variety of comics which can’t even be imagined in most countries, especially those which have had a comics tradition since the 1940s or as early as the 1930s.

For example, I would have never noticed your non-US Conan books if arriving there, and I had just mistaken that green Blue Beetle kind of character for the translation of a US superhero comic (well, it did not quite feel 100% like that, so I asked).

All I asked for is to add information as whether the comic(s) posted is a translation or an original work from abroad, I think it’s worth the effort…

Double cover.

b9TObUk.jpg

These covers (and the whole edition, so small) are quite impressive…

Did you say these are from the 1940s?

Early 50's, 52-53. La Reina got it's own title in 1959 with a larger size and then a second run in the 60's as a full size comic.

I've been research these and searching for them for years. Here's an essay I wrote a while back on them from my blog. It was recently reprinted in Matt's Foreign Comic Collector magazine.

http://www.anageundreamedof.com/2013/05/la-reina-de-la-costa-negra-mystery-of.html

Double cover.

b9TObUk.jpg

These covers (and the whole edition, so small) are quite impressive…

Did you say these are from the 1940s?

Early 50's, 52-53. La Reina got it's own title in 1959 with a larger size and then a second run in the 60's as a full size comic.

I've been research these and searching for them for years. Here's an essay I wrote a while back on them from my blog. It was recently reprinted in Matt's Foreign Comic Collector magazine.

http://www.anageundreamedof.com/2013/05/la-reina-de-la-costa-negra-mystery-of.html

Great article, thanks for the link. While the early issues are fascinating from a historical perspective, the mid 60s issues look very cool.