• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

January 2014 sales estimates

51 posts in this topic

The very low print runs of the recent issues of Sheltered, Clone, and Todd are going to make NM-MT full runs scarce when their respective projects hit the screens.

What makes you think these projects are hitting any screens? There are so many ways these things can fall apart.

My gut tells me Clone will make it to the screen and I'm hoping for Ken that Todd makes it. Sheltered is a cool book but who knows. All of these books are worth reading imo.

+1 you never know they all great books the TV/Movie Deals are just a added bonus.

The very low print runs of the recent issues of Sheltered, Clone, and Todd are going to make NM-MT full runs scarce when their respective projects hit the screens.

What makes you think these projects are hitting any screens? There are so many ways these things can fall apart.

lots of wishful thinking in these parts :insane: can't a good comic book be just a good comic book anymore?

Its funny. I've been disappointed by comic movies so many times, I don't know why I even care anymore. Sin City, Batman The Dark Knight, and Superman (1978) plus Superman II all were worth watching imo. Most of the other stuff I've seen, I could take it or leave it.

lots of wishful thinking in these parts :insane: can't a good comic book be just a good comic book anymore?

Its funny. I've been disappointed by comic movies so many times, I don't know why I even care anymore. Sin City, Batman The Dark Knight, and Superman (1978) plus Superman II all were worth watching imo. Most of the other stuff I've seen, I could take it or leave it.

Started reading this list and thought :makepoint: Sin City was great, then saw it was your (thumbs u list. I agree. :banana:

Started reading this list and thought :makepoint: Sin City was great, then saw it was your (thumbs u list. I agree. :banana:

lol

Yeah, I could have structured that a little better.

My gut tells me Clone will make it to the screen and I'm hoping for Ken that Todd makes it. Sheltered is a cool book but who knows. All of these books are worth reading imo.

To me, Clone does fit best, with its blend of action and political intrigue.

Tons of great properties have now been optioned. The ultimate truth is this: few will make it through the multi step process required to hit the air (or big screen). Fewer yet will be good.

I remember way back when Carolco had Spider-Man, a -script, and James Cameron was itching to direct. I thought that was a can't miss sure thing. Not so fast. It fell victim to issues of timing, legalities, and internal politics.

Works for me. The burst of great titles over the past two years from Image (and others) has got my reading pile at all time highs. :grin:

Great idea to use Walking Dead as a benchmark. :golfclap:

Anyway, even using your own data, you can see increasing trend. Any decline was quickly overcompensated for within 2 months or less. Of course, I am willing to be wrong if Saga experiences another increase after 4 months of minor decline.

Saga #'s 7 & 8 sold out pretty fast and are still in demand to date. About 4 short months after that the orders of this comic steadily increased by 10K. Retailers are meeting the demand and perhaps ordering a few extra based on how well this is doing. If it sells out and reprints at 40K and change but doesn't at 50K+ then it's more likely to simply correct and level off... especially given the rampant interest in the trades.

IMHO the figures in Comichron won't hint at any decline in readership of this book unless it dips below #8. We have no idea how over ordered it is.

important note I am not Lonzilla. These books are on the top of my list. That said, here is my 'rationalization for unwarranted high hopes'.

Clone It was a television -script before it was a comic. David Schulner admitted he first thought of the story seven years ago when he thought to himself: I *(#&@ love my son so much I want to clone him -- and it spiraled out from there. Schuler is not a comic book writer; he is a writer for television.

Further more, aside from Spiderman & Star Wars, Clones seem to be relatively untapped.

Lastly, NBC doesn't want to repeat their mistakes as they did with TWD and Revival.

Todd It was picked up by an animation production studio (Titmouse). The cost to produce many episodes is in the same ballpark as producing one. There won't be a pilot. It'll be one of two extremes: dropped by the studio or it will air for a full season on television some where.

Sheltered The 'news' was about ten days ago. It was good to see that not only was it optioned but they already have the Director, writer and producers in mind.

The chances of Sheltered becoming a movie is likely inversely proportional to the number of scripts Jesse Peyronel (writer/director) has worked on in recent past. I'm dying to know the level of attention Peyronel is giving to Sheltered.

Schulner signed a 7 figure deal with NBC / Universal and since he's a TV writer first and foremost, it's a safe bet that Clone is all systems go (though there's still a chance Comcast can muck it up somehow).

Titmouse is already selling a Todd related t-shirt on their website, they wouldn't be if they weren't devoted to the project. Animation takes a long time so we have to be patient there

With Sheltered, as much as I'd like a movie, I think it's better suited for a TV show and would prefer it much more. Hope things change on that front

:banana: yaaaayyy !!!!! I'm so glad things seem to be getting better. As I've said plenty of times , I absolutely love the story. It's on my pull list now so I never have to worry about places being sold out now ! lol:) If you remember I had trouble finding #2 .. Anyway , I'm truly glad to hear things are looking up. Can't wait to see what's in store for the mini !!! :applause: (thumbs u

As someone really rooting for the Valiant comeback a shame to see Unity 3 slip that far....

If Unity slips to be about 9 - 10,000 copies, I think that is a pretty good number. Looking at the top sellers for January 2014 is interesting:

1 book sold for more than 90,000 copies

4 books sold for more than 80,000 copies

16 books sold for more than 60,000 copies

69 books sold for more than 30,000 copies

It was just a few years ago that 30,000 copies was Marvel's cutoff point for titles they were going to continue publishing. Obviously, things changed.

The sweet spot for Valiant will be to get a book or two into the 15,000 copy range. Not just for an issue or 2 (which seems simple enough for a new title), but as an ongoing concern for a title when it hits issue 10 or better. This is the range where Image, IDW, Boom, and Dark Horse have their better selling titles.