• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help Roy Thomas identify man in this circa 1946 photo with Lee Harris

98 posts in this topic

Jonathan-

the lead at the Tom Corbett site might be a good follow-up for you (as Duck suggested). 'Cadet Ed's' email address is at page bottom. If only in that it if you hooked up with Joe Greene's son it would be an interesting Golden Age writer-artist second generation combo that could yield some fun info.

Cheers,

Pat Calhoun

Thanks for establishing, without a doubt, that Joe Greene worked at Detective Comics during the period in question (Jan 1946 - July 1946). I have taken your thoughtful suggestion, Pat (Calhoun) and sent Joe Greene's son (Paul Greene) a note, at: cadeted@solarguard.com asking him to have a look at our CGC forum thread, and inviting him to post a clearer photo of his late father. But most importantly, asked him simply study the posted photo of my dad and our "mystery man" sitting at the art table to determine, one way or the other, if this is his dad (...or not).

I look forward to his response.

In the meantime, should anyone have any contact info for relatives of Ted Udall, please post it and i will send them a similar message.

With much appreciation,

Jonathan

Steven Rowe very recently posted the following informative comment on our Yahoo AE Fans Group page. I am re-posting it here on our CGC Board in that CGC members will also find it of interest:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...Two sites with comics info for you:

www.bailsprojects.com and www.comics.org

- not that any comics data site is 100% correct

-

Ted Udall would not have worked with your father at DC. DC had two

different editorial division, and your dad worked for the Ellsworth-Schiff-

Wesinger department and Udall was an editor with the Mayer division.

Your dad worked for the Eisner-Iger shop, which is where the

material for Fox (1939-1940),. Fiction House (1940) was done.

Dunno about the work for Archie-MLJ.

I can't recall how fair ahead DC did their comics, but a summer 1946 dated

comic could easily have work prepared 6 months earlier. Dell often worked

almost a year ahead. And of course, it was

a government requirement that returning soldiers be offered their old jobs

back.

If Jim Amash is on this list, he might know who the picture is, if he didn't know - he might

know who would know.

I am more inclined to think that the photos are from a studio (shared or formal) than a publisher.

I note that Joseph Greene later became a comics editor at Pines (Standard-Better-

Nedor-Thrilling) around 1948, where he hired George Roussos to work, this is

after Greene's work for DC, Sparks (Crossen),. If the photo is him, it sure shows a strong

connection before he hired him."

Steven Rowe

Update: Jim Amash wrote back to me and pointed out that although he does not know the identity of our mystery man in the photo with my and (and with George R., at the chalkboard), he feels certain that this unidentified person "is not" a DC editor.

Thus, I remain very interested to contact Paul Greene, in order to find out if our mystery man is, in fact, his dad (Joseph Greene) , or not.

Should any fellow CGC members have a direct email for Paul Greene, kindly post it or send it to me via PM.

With much appreciation,

Jonathan

This thread has been awesome in seeing all the boardie detectives to their thing. I'm not a Golden Age enthusiast and don't have much to share. But I know of one person who's still around who Roy should be able to contact. Stan Lee. I know he only worked for Atlas/Timely at the time but I'm sure he hob-knobbed with the competition every now and then. He may know the identity of the mystery man. A shot in the dark for sure.

Good luck! :wishluck:

The photo of the two men at the chalkboard (George and the mystery man) was taken by my dad with his Rolleiflex camera form the war. I know this because these photos were stored in a box with all photos that my dad took during this Golden Age period of time.

The photo of my dad at his art table was also taken with his Rolleiflex camera. George likely took the shot --but it could have been another co-worker as well.

Perhaps it was mentioned in an earlier but, but i would like to know if Joe Greene worked at DC Comics circa 1946. I believe it was already established that Ted Udall did. That is where my dad (and George Roussos) worked at that time, and I am quite certain that this photo was taken at DC.

So to sum up, we seem to have Greene and Udall as the most likely contenders)... is this correct? As long as it can be established that Greene worked at DC in March to July 1946.

Jonathan

Thank you, this is a very interesting and enjoyable thread. I hope you do solve this mystery.

You mention a box of photos taken during this golden age period of time. It would be greatly appreciated if you could share any other photos related to the comic industry.

Hi Chatzilla, Thanks for your suggestion re: contacting Stan Lee. In fact my dad and Stan went to school together in the Bronx: DeWitt Clinton High. They were one year apart, but they certainly knew each other. So your suggestion is a good one, and I have already enquired about touching base with Stan, but as you can imagine, Stan is very busy, and although my request might intrigue him and he may be the only per on alive that could truly solve our mystery, I will not push him for a response.

As for posting other photos taken during the Golden age period of time, as per thehumantorch's request, I did find "a few" photos that my dad took during this era in a box, but the box was full of wartime photos he took during his time as an airforce photographer and only less than half a dozen photos from the Golden Age of Comics were amongst them. At least one or two of these should appear in the feature story that Roy Thomas is putting together on my dad's work, in his soon-to-be released AE #125 (June 20014 issue). After the story comes out, I will definitely consider posting the remaining few photos. Mostly they are of my dad's friend and co-worker at DC, George Roussos. Thanks for your genuine interest.

Jonathan

Air Wave #70 Splash

"Who Rubbed Out the Editors"

Lee Harris artwork (1942)

Shows artist Lee Harris sitting at his DC art table

detective%2B070-46.jpg

Image courtesy of Four-Color Shadows blogspot

Hi Chatzilla, Thanks for your suggestion re: contacting Stan Lee. In fact my dad and Stan went to school together in the Bronx: DeWitt Clinton High. They were one year apart, but they certainly knew each other. So your suggestion is a good one, and I have already enquired about touching base with Stan, but as you can imagine, Stan is very busy, and although my request might intrigue him and he may be the only per on alive that could truly solve our mystery, I will not push him for a response.

As for posting other photos taken during the Golden age period of time, as per thehumantorch's request, I did find "a few" photos that my dad took during this era in a box, but the box was full of wartime photos he took during his time as an airforce photographer and only less than half a dozen photos from the Golden Age of Comics were amongst them. At least one or two of these should appear in the feature story that Roy Thomas is putting together on my dad's work, in his soon-to-be released AE #125 (June 20014 issue). After the story comes out, I will definitely consider posting the remaining few photos. Mostly they are of my dad's friend and co-worker at DC, George Roussos. Thanks for your genuine interest.

Jonathan

Air Wave #70 Splash

"Who Rubbed Out the Editors"

Lee Harris artwork (1942)

Shows artist Lee Harris sitting at his DC art table

detective%2B070-46.jpg

Image courtesy of Four-Color Shadows blogspot

Your father seemed to have fun with the strip.

9564728680_4dc1d22768_z.jpg

Yes. Thanks for appreciating this BB-Gun. My dad certainly had a real sense of humor and seemed to be able to inject this into many of his illustrations. especially his air wave splash pages. Thanks, too, for taking the time to post this fun and colorful one. Very kind of you. I am guessing you will genuinely enjoy reading thru and seeing more of his Golden age artwork in Roy Thomas' upcoming feature story on him in the Alter Ego #125 (June 20014) edition. :)

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122&products_id=1123

Jonathan

Final note, on this query where many interested and Golden Age Comic savvy CGC members made efforts and attempts to identify the mystery man in these two photos...

At this point, no one has conclusively identified our mystery man.

Still, I believe many fellow CGC members feel as I do... the process of sleuthing (or attempting to sleuth) was a fun one.

I want to thank everyone that took the time and thought to comment, and conjecture, and in some cases, manipulate photos to try and figure things out.

At this point, we will simply have to wait till the photo is (hopefully) published in the upcoming AE #125 June 2014 issue that will feature my lat father Harris Levey (aka Lee Harris) and hope someone will be quick to identify him accurately... or not. It may be that this remains one of many DC mysteries for all time.

Again, thanks for your initial interest and efforts to help!

With best wishes to all,

Jonathan

IT'S OFFICIAL! The 22 page feature story showing a self-portrait caricature of my dad, Harris Levey, aka "Lee Harris" --Golden Age Comics illustrator, 1938-1948, on the cover of Alter Ego Alter Ego (magazine) has FINALLY been launched! Thank you Roy Thomas! (expert historian and highly respected editor) and talented writer/interviewer Richard Arndt. Thanks, as well, to our very dear and near Chet Cox and to: Doug Martin, Dale Roberts, Jim Amash, Doc V., Mark Zaid, Chris Day, John Morrow, and so many others that made this project so pleasurable and a reality. My dad's story and artwork can be found in the June 2014 issue #125 of Alter Ego (magazine). Not only is the digital version posted online for a free "Sneak Peek", but the hard copy and full digital version can be ordered online for less than $8.00 Have your digital Sneak Peek" now and consider ordering your very own hard copy, containing more than 45 very colorful scans of dad's artwork, at: Alter Ego 125 : http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1123

...Hope fellow members enjoy both the story and the artwork.AE125a_MED.jpg