• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

I read through this but now can't find the questions. But I think this is the answer.

Namisgr had an ASM 129 that he purchased off the newsstand. He submitted the book 3-4 times, and the last time it came back PLOD with CT.

I remember this but I don't recall him submitting it 3 - 4 times. I just thought it was his personal raw copy, bought off the stands, and it came back 1st time as PLOD.

It was the ASM #121 I bought off the rack. It was graded 'right edge trimmed'. (My ASM #129 came back 9.6 blue label ;) )

It's not the only comic I've had graded where the restoration and trimming assessments were botched. In the early days of CGC, I cracked all of my slabbed purchases out, only to resubmit them years later for purposes of selling them. A couple of those changed label colors upon regrading.

Bottom line? CGC does the best job that they can with detecting restoration and trimming, but they are not infallable and make mistakes. Given that they make mistakes, any resubmission of a blue label comic runs the risk of changing label color upon regrading. Either the first or the second grading could be the accurate one.

Though I never had this happen to me before I certainly feel you're pain.

While you're blowing off steam here I'd also be googling "civil attorney licensed in the state of Florida."

You maybe entitled to restitution under "cause for damages".

CGC probably won't delete this thread as it would make them look like they were in error.

Good luck.

Im not sure how confident I can be in CGC graded books anymore. I resubbed 2 books for walkthrough grading, and got results today.

Both books were Universal Blue labels

Journey into Mystery CGC 6.0 - book was killer, and I thought it was much better. Came back a 7.0

Avengers 1 CGC 7.0 - book looked nice, but once it was cracked, regret set in as it was not as nice as the assigned grade. Came back a 6.0

Both books came back RESTORED.

How does that happen?? The Avengers has CT, and the JIM is top cover trimmed!!

That is unacceptable. If its in a slab as unrestored, regardless of when its graded, we as buyers, or collectors should feel confident that the book is unrestored.

I called and asked them to please look them over again. They said they would, but they obviously didn't because they were marked "shipped" within 1/2 hr or so

I never understand the resub game,did they not look nice in the old labels?

Shoulda just left em be. meh

Honestly Dave what you just said makes no sense.

OP is not complaining about making money. If you don't understand his POV then that is weird. He is saying he had 2 CGC books that were "Blue label" and pressed/resubbed them that are now Purple label. So yes that does hurt the brand that is CGC grading in his eyes. Mistakes of course this will happen again, but to have two in a row is pretty rare and I fully understand his frustration.

BTW all books look better after being pressed. (except spine roll shadiness)

OP is not complaining about making money. If you don't understand his POV then that is weird. He is saying he had 2 CGC books that were "Blue label" and pressed/resubbed them that are now Purple label. So yes that does hurt the brand that is CGC grading in his eyes. Mistakes of course this will happen again, but to have two in a row is pretty rare and I fully understand his frustration.

Why is CGC grading in his eyes? ???

Though I never had this happen to me before I certainly feel you're pain.

While you're blowing off steam here I'd also be googling "civil attorney licensed in the state of Florida."

You maybe entitled to restitution under "cause for damages".

CGC probably won't delete this thread as it would make them look like they were in error.

Good luck.

Im not sure how confident I can be in CGC graded books anymore. I resubbed 2 books for walkthrough grading, and got results today.

Both books were Universal Blue labels

Journey into Mystery CGC 6.0 - book was killer, and I thought it was much better. Came back a 7.0

Avengers 1 CGC 7.0 - book looked nice, but once it was cracked, regret set in as it was not as nice as the assigned grade. Came back a 6.0

Both books came back RESTORED.

How does that happen?? The Avengers has CT, and the JIM is top cover trimmed!!

That is unacceptable. If its in a slab as unrestored, regardless of when its graded, we as buyers, or collectors should feel confident that the book is unrestored.

I called and asked them to please look them over again. They said they would, but they obviously didn't because they were marked "shipped" within 1/2 hr or so

:roflmao::banana: Alriiiiiighty then! :banana::roflmao:

Why is CGC grading in his eyes? ???

He needs to wear some safety glasses? :shrug:

I'm shocked at all of these "it happens, resubs are risky" type responses. Talk about apathy. Isn't the fact that resubs are risky besides the freaking point?

See IDK the resub game to me isn't a game.

Can't give you one example of ever receiving a lower grade. (shrug)

Every time they either stay the same grade or go up.

Resubbing is only risky if one can't essentially grade the book themselves first.

It amazes me how so many threads turn into a discussion about pressing but I suspect John is just having some fun. Anyway, I don't think Dan said he had the books pressed. If all books look better after being pressed then why

do we have... warping, flaring, reverse spine roll, staining,cover shrinkage, spine indents, cockling and pebbling ???

It amazes me how so many threads turn into a discussion about pressing but I suspect John is just having some fun. Anyway, I don't think Dan said he had the books pressed. If all books look better after being pressed then why

do we have... warping, flaring, reverse spine roll, staining,cover shrinkage, spine indents, cockling and pebbling ???

All those can be fixed with a press. :whistle:

Always trust the professionals.

when? the first time or the second time? or maybe the third time? mo $ mo $ mo $

i have 3 or 4 books that have come back with "color touch" that doesn't show up to the eye or black light. one even a modern that no one in their right mind would CT. i'm not going to play the game and have them "fixed". just take the loss and hope CGC doesn't get too much in the habit of finding resto that isn't there.

I am assuming he got them pressed.

One of the books from ebay could have the old label where someone switch out the copy with a different restored copy.

I bought a ASM 129 book off eBay in old label CGC 9.4 and the book was a 9.0. Graders notes did not match the 9.0 book in the case and I could see the glue residue on the old label. So that could be a possibility on one of the books that Dan had, who knows though.

I read through this but now can't find the questions. But I think this is the answer.

Namisgr had an ASM 129 that he purchased off the newsstand. He submitted the book 3-4 times, and the last time it came back PLOD with CT.

I remember this but I don't recall him submitting it 3 - 4 times. I just thought it was his personal raw copy, bought off the stands, and it came back 1st time as PLOD.

It was the ASM #121 I bought off the rack. It was graded 'right edge trimmed'. (My ASM #129 came back 9.6 blue label ;) )

It's not the only comic I've had graded where the restoration and trimming assessments were botched. In the early days of CGC, I cracked all of my slabbed purchases out, only to resubmit them years later for purposes of selling them. A couple of those changed label colors upon regrading.

Bottom line? CGC does the best job that they can with detecting restoration and trimming, but they are not infallable and make mistakes. Given that they make mistakes, any resubmission of a blue label comic runs the risk of changing label color upon regrading. Either the first or the second grading could be the accurate one.

so if they can go from unrestored to restored, equal chances of going restored to unrestored? come on... i wish they'd at least give free grader's notes on books they purple. i'd love to know where the "CT" is on my purple SS books. might even crack them out for a better look since they're worthless, i didn't spot any resto before submission, and i can't see anything through the slabs either.

My question is CAN you send a book in for a resub still in the original slab?

Yes. Front line admin personnel will just remove it from the slab, put it in a Mylar and in it goes for grading. The graders don't see the book when it's in the holder.

If so, and it is CGC that cracks the book and the chain of possession is not broken, then for sure CGC would be 100% "accountable" for the missed resto the first go around right?

Good question.

The answer would be no.

Read the notice on the back of the slab.

"A good faith effort is made to detect restoration, but CGC does not warrant this process or the results."

but you're in luck! CGC has an in-house restoration-removal service to fix all color touch, real or imaginary! want to know where we think your color touch is? pay us!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does CGC guarantee that a book is not restored if it doesn't have a purple label?

hm

What does the "G" in CGC stand for? Does it stand for "guarantee"? If so, what exactly does CGC guarantee? That I paid a lot of money to have a couple strangers look at my comic, then put it in a plastic case? (shrug)

That's it? Wow, I'm a sucka. lol

.... basically, it means that as long as the book is in that slab, their 'opinion' stated on the label is official. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does CGC guarantee that a book is not restored if it doesn't have a purple label?

hm

What does the "G" in CGC stand for? Does it stand for "guarantee"? If so, what exactly does CGC guarantee? That I paid a lot of money to have a couple strangers look at my comic, then put it in a plastic case? (shrug)

.... basically, it means that as long as the book is in that slab, their 'opinion' stated on the label is official. GOD BLESS...

Yep.

but suppose hypothetically the OP sent in the book holdered.

I don't see how their opinion can change on a books valued at this magnitude and so quickly.

hm

Yep.