• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

Read the link Comicwiz provided from Mark Zaid addressing this.

It appears the major problem is the book was sent in 'naked'.

Here is the quote from Mark....

'Although fortunately this is a very rare situation, I discussed the fact pattern with Harshen and the short answer is, yes, based on the guarantee CGC provides (as well as simply being a good business practice) there would be good-faith negotiations, as there has in the past when certain situations arose, to ensure the submitter is made financially whole.

Now, certain facts would need to exist. For example, the book would have to be submitted intact in its blue holder and no tampering present. So that means a cracked-out book submitted along with a blue label would not be eligible.

As far as your follow-up question, when a book is submitted to CCS intact in its holder a CCS employee will log that book into the system and verify the serial number listed by the customer. It will be noted that the book was in its holder. The book will be de-slabbed by a CCS employee and then proceed through the normal process. In the rare chance that previously undetected restoration is later identified by a CGC grader of a book that can be traced back through CCS there should be no issue regarding the proper chain-of-possession and verification of the information.'

That's quite the competitive advantage over 3rd party pressers or is there a way for them to document this chain-of-possession like they can do with SS to retain the integrity of a yellow label?

:popcorn:

Another fix would be to stop calling books with a tiny bit of color touch restored. Because they're not. Just grade the slight CT as a defect and note it in a universal label.

No argument from me on that.

I've got a Sgt Fury #1 in a yellow label with color touch. I submitted the book,

owned the book raw, and there was a single dot on the spine, felt tip size that bled. However, compare that one dot to the Stan Lee signature and it is almost hypocritical. SInce the advent of SS, I think slight CT should be reevaluated.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=12766&GSub=887

Another fix would be to stop calling books with a tiny bit of color touch restored. Because they're not. Just grade the slight CT as a defect and note it in a universal label.

No.. That is restoration.

There are plenty of Golden Age books with slight CT in blue label holders with the CT noted on the label. And they are not mistakes. Just sayin'.

There are plenty of Golden Age books with slight CT in blue label holders with the CT noted on the label. And they are not mistakes. Just sayin'.

several exceptions were opened for GA only ...

the restoration is obviously so miniscule that even professional graders didn't see it the first time around. Yet instead of a 10% or 20% value docking as might logically be expected, in today's marketplace these books may lose as much as 90% of their value.

Even with EP or EA, SA will never get 90%

In the case of the OP's books, it'd most likely be SP

Fine. I was "radically" off in my assessment. Recent averages (Avengers #1):

9.0 = $25,000

9.0 SP = $4200

Value drop = 83%

8.0 = $8200

8.0 SA = $1900

Value drop = 77%

7.0 = $5000

7.0 SP = $1800

Value drop = 64%

the restoration is obviously so miniscule that even professional graders didn't see it the first time around. Yet instead of a 10% or 20% value docking as might logically be expected, in today's marketplace these books may lose as much as 90% of their value.

7.0 = $5000

7.0 SP = $1800

Value drop = 64%

Hmmmm ! hm

:gossip: it's a 6.0, not a 7.0

Date Listed: 11/8/2013 9:25:53 AM EST

Should I pull out other examples ?

Unless it is from the Edgar Church collection (thumbs u

7.0 = $5000

7.0 SP = $1800

Value drop = 64%

Hmmmm ! hm

I meant that books in general can lose as much as 90%... however, it is my mistake since I said "these books" instead of "books". Regardless... the point is that color-touch so small it gets missed by professionals can result in thousands of dollars in price-difference on major books.

That is not CGC's fault. That is the fault of a hyper-sensitive marketplace caring more about a book's marketable potential than its actual quality and eye-appeal. Mustard stain... -$200. Pinpoint ink to hide spine blemish... -$1000.

That is not CGC's fault. That is the fault of a hyper-sensitive marketplace caring more about a book's marketable potential than its actual quality and eye-appeal. Mustard stain... -$200. Pinpoint ink to hide spine blemish... -$1000.

You've just given me an idea. If you have a tiny isolated spot of CT, would it behoove you to pour mustard over it ????

7.0 = $5000

7.0 SP = $1800

Value drop = 64%

Hmmmm ! hm

I meant that books in general can lose as much as 90%... however, it is my mistake since I said "these books" instead of "books". Regardless... the point is that color-touch so small it gets missed by professionals can result in thousands of dollars in price-difference on major books.

...... It has become quite McCarthyistic in fervor. It always makes me chuckle a little when I hear people fuming about how much they hate a proceedure that they can't even SEE without someone else to show them. People ostracize the new direction towards the separation of work by conservation and restoration.... but it's the right thing to do. Like my friend Carlton will say, " It's too much like right.... " GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Dan's one of my favorite people.... I'm real sorry he got drilled..... and any irreverent humor on my part is in NO way directed at him.... or CGC, who deserve medals for putting up with us.

You've just given me an idea. If you have a tiny isolated spot of CT, would it behoove you to pour mustard over it ????

No, it would behoove you to rip it off and call it a bindery chip.

People ooh and aah about all the "wins" they see when someone gets an upgrade but I've been saying for years that there are big losses too. You just don't hear about them as often.

It's a gamble every time and nothing is guaranteed.

Agreed, as it's like people who go to the racetrack and all one hears is about their winnings, rarely the losses. So thanks for sharing as it provides a more balanced perspective as well as shedding more light on resubmitting. If there is a high turnover at CGC there's bound to be more of them happening.

And given your outlay on these I feel for you as well as the chance of it happening to both...

newbie question: what's SP EP EA SA?

It's from that Broadway musical if I recall...

'SP-- a snake, a venemous snake

EP -- my album's running time...

EA! -- she screams when she sees a mouse

SA' -- what I do if I'm not a mime.

OP -- the guy who began this thread,

MO -- the amount of posts to come...

IB-- TL, the end we dread...

And it brings us back to 'SP!

SP-EP-EA-SA-OP-MO-IB-SP!

newbie question: what's SP EP EA SA?

It's from that Broadway musical if I recall...

'SP-- a snake, a venemous snake

EP -- my album's running time...

EA! -- she screams when she sees a mouse

SA' -- what I do if I'm not a mime.

OP -- the guy who began this thread,

MO -- the amount of posts to come...

IB-- TL, the end we dread...

And it brings us back to 'SP!

SP-EP-EA-SA-OP-MO-IB-SP!

:D

No argument from me on that.

I've got a Sgt Fury #1 in a yellow label with color touch. I submitted the book,

owned the book raw, and there was a single dot on the spine, felt tip size that bled. However, compare that one dot to the Stan Lee signature and it is almost hypocritical. SInce the advent of SS, I think slight CT should be reevaluated.

Comparing apples and oranges.

A signed book is readily apparent to the viewer. Color touch is not, and is in fact, an attempt to deceive the viewer. Big difference.

There's an interesting sidebar to this discussion I haven't seen mentioned...

The reason this is a topic at all is because of the huge financial hit the OP is taking on these books. Yet the reality is... the restoration is obviously so miniscule that even professional graders didn't see it the first time around. Yet instead of a 10% or 20% value docking as might logically be expected, in today's marketplace these books may lose as much as 90% of their value.

That says as much about the insanity of today's comic market as it says about CGC's small error rate.

I too think it's ridiculous that a tiny dot of color touch can make a $1000 book worth $100 or $200 or $500 but I believe that the gross price differentiation is due to the coarse distinction between labels (basically having to choose between 2 labels, blue and purple).