• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I made the switch; you should too

35 posts in this topic

I just wanted to voice how happy I am now that I'm using Mylar to store my comics. I just finished bagging about 200 recent books in Mylites and I must say they look terrific.

My whole ordeal with deciding to switch started this past summer. I took a month off for vacation and didn't do any reading of new comics (I buy about 50 books a month) for about 2 months. As a result of that and my busy schedule, I fell way behind in my reading. Only in the last month or so have I finally caught up.

At any rate, I became really disturbed back before christmas when I took out a stack of comics from the summer to read. I was amazed how cloudy the Poly bags looked. I had bagged these books fresh when I bought them with new bags. Still, the bags were all starting to "ripple" and were not nearly as clear as they had been when I bought them.

That's when I realized that Poly bags were not a permanent solution. I had always re-bagged any back issues that I bought, regardless of where they came from because the old bags they came in looked cruddy. I always thought this degradation of the bags was a function of how the books were stored.

Well, needless to say, I set out to find a better solution and thanks to the information I got off these forums, I purchased 1000 Mylites and Half-backs. I got them yesterday and broke them out. At first I was skeptical; they felt so flimsy. But, as I was re-bagging a bunch of recent books, I came to the realization that though they appeared flimsy, they are far stronger than any Poly bags I've ever used. And the best thing of all was when I laid a book bagged in mylar next to a copy of the same book bagged with a Poly. The difference in display is staggering.

The only drawback now is that I'm going to have a stack of back-boards and bags that I have no use for. Anyone interested?

Did u switch to 1 mil or 2 mil mylites? I imagine 1 mil b/c 2 mil are sold as Arklytes by Gerber/Diamond.

Don't worry. U will use up your spare mylites over the next year b/c u buy so many new comics each month. Also, u could start rebagging 3 yr old back issues. Toss out the old, tongue.gif foggy polybags.

cool! I switched over to 2mil MyLites and full backs a little while ago. Its nice to know that once they get stored, i can let them sit and not have to go and rebag once a decade or so.

I'm using 1 mil Mylites and Half-backs; I couldn't justify the extra expense for my lightweight almost all modern collection. When I get Silver size bags, though, for my early Thor's and whatever else I may buy down the road, then I'll get an upgrade on the bags and boards.