• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Praise of Newsstand Editions

26 posts in this topic

You're welcome....it took a long time for historians to figure out exactly what had happened, especially since so many had the experience you relate: everyone thought they were reprints. Before the internet, and people could compare notes easily, no one really understood how and why those things had happened. This stuff was never recorded at any of the companies involved...why would they? So it was left to the historians to track people down, ask questions, put puzzles together...and a good chunk of the people who would know (like Sol Brodsky) have unfortunately passed on.

And it didn't help that Overstreet passed along the misinformation that these were "reprints" for years.

I for one like the direct market editions. Sure, one of my most treasured books is categorized as a newsstand edition. And I might cherish this above all else. A newsstand CGC I will readily admit is harder to find, but the spider-man insignia was more about freedom to me. My 7-11 was the first place I purchased comic books. Each book at that dreaded barcode. A place better for it would be on the rear cover. As previously mentioned by hammershipdown.

My first comic shop I travelled to was treacherous...to a 13 year old. The most direct route was through a small winding road that one of the first times I used it I almost met my demise. It was probably the first time I realized what a tread on a tire looked like. It didn't sway me. I started to sneak there any chance I got while my mom thought I was around the corner. Eventually I went there from my fathers which was a lot safe...and I walked instead of making it by bike.

I don't have the history you do with the Miller DD's of which I will agree it is one of the best story lines out there. Each issue I purchased was from a back issue box (or wall) and I didn't have the choice on what edition I could buy. I do cherish them all.

Thank you for a great journal. It took me so long to read and respond because I thought that someone who took the time out to write such a cherished item needed to be responded to properly. It's funny because once I swat he titles thought it was right up my brother's (Bagofleas) alley, being a lover of the newsstand edition. I look forward to future journals.

Tnerb

Also, as an example of how the internet has helped scholarship for comics historians: prior to the internet, people were aware of the 30 and 35 cent test prices that Marvel did in 1976 and 1977...but almost no one had any idea of the extent of the test program, and the fact that it was company-wide, for every title that Marvel published, for both years.

In fact, in the mid to late 80's, Overstreet published in the Update that X-Men #98-100 had 30 cent versions, and went out of his way (or, rather Jon Warren the editor did) to point out, in print, that they were "NOT SCARCE!"

Now, what that really meant to them is anyone's guess, but the truth is, folks were mostly aware of the 30 cent program because *most* of the prices were quite obviously and starkly different from the "Still 25 cents" sunburst of those months.

But they weren't aware of all of them, because some of them looked like normal issues. Iron Fist 4, for example. If you didn't KNOW it was supposed to be a 25 cent book, and ran across the 30 cent variant, you might completely miss it...because it looks exactly like the regular 25 cent issue, with nothing different except the numbers in the price.

img770.jpg

$(KGrHqEOKpgE3uW+oQ7dBOE9CfiPRQ~~0_3.JPG

And, of course, two of the books, Inhumans #5 and Kazar #16 were ONLY made in the 30 cent variety.

Now, what made the 35s so tough is twofold: first, the 35s weren't against the sunburst background. There was no "Still 30 Cents!" sunburst in 1977. So, the 35s all look like regular editions, with the exception being that the numerals are short and squat...fatter than their later regular 35 cent compatriots.

The other problem is that, for decades, the only 35 cent variant known to the collecting world in general was Star Wars #1....and that was confused constantly because there are FIVE (maybe even SIX) different versions of Star Wars #1: the regular 30 cent first printing, a 30 cent "reprint", the 35 cent test, a 35 cent reprint with "reprint" on the cover, a 35 cent reprint with "reprint" in the indicia, AND...possibly...a DIRECT MARKET version (which would be the 30 cent "fat diamond") No one, however, has found a "non-reprint" "fat diamond" direct market Star Wars #1....which would make sense, since it was a NEW title, and not ALL the books from 1977-1979 were printed specifically for the direct market (for example, there is only ONE issue of X-Men...#118...that was printed specifically for the dm.)

So, when you have that overlap, the test variants, the new dm, and the reprints....you have some really, really interesting results.

Because of this, very few people realized that the 35 cent test was ALSO throughout the entire Marvel line, and as a result, there are certain issues with as few as 10 copies (or less) still known to exist. Most people didn't even know until the mid-90's that there were 35 test variants for Star Wars #2-4, too!

Great article!

I feel the same way 100%!

X-Men started the newsstand editions with #122 in 1979.

I started collecting in 1982, and subconsciously noticed the difference with newsstands and direct editions at that time. Had a bunch of each in my collection. When my family moved in 1991, all of our belongings were put in storage for 22 years, including my comic box! Finally, last year I was able to go to my storage facility in another part of the country, and transfer it to my storage facility in my state. It was a relief finding them in perfect condition in the comic box! Just had some of the collection graded a few months ago, found some direct editions, but many newsstands as well!

Wouldn't mind trading-

I'd like to find certain newsstand editions of favorite issues of mine in 9.8, among Miller Daredevils, Uncanny X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, What If, Simonson Thors, Byrne FF's, New Mutants and X-Factor.

I'm looking for these newsstands in 9.8 with white pages in particular, among others:

Daredevil

165, 167, 170, 175, 176, 177, 184, 187, 189, 190, 196, 200.

Infinity Gauntlet

1-6

Thor

Uncanny X-Men

125, 144, 153, 154, 156, 159, 161, 162, 167, 170, 171, 176, 200, 201, 205, 207, 221, 222, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 248, and many more through #300.

What If

27, 28, 31, 35, 46

Thanks!

B