• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has a cover ever deterred you from an issue?

37 posts in this topic

So I've been having this dilemma for a while. I really like Wonder Woman 177, however I hate about 5% of the cover. The artist utterly butchered Wonder Womans face and she looks like a tranny which is greatly disheartening and making me second guess if I should purchase the issue.

Have any of you had a similar experience where you want an issue but something relatively minor is a huge turn off?

I'm aware of the "Keys with covers you don't like" thread, I think this is somewhat different.

Yes. Pretty much every one since about 2003.

Covers ceased to be in any way related to the contents of the book and became mere pin-ups. They also ceased to be eye-catching on the stand, a mish-mash of blacks and greys that failed in their intent of selling a product. One blended into another and few of them stayed in the memory once the eye wandered.

Poor covers are one of the reasons why comic readership - especially in the young - has declined to extinction levels.

Yeah, 177 definitely needs a sticky-note. Two, really.

Really? Supergirl? I don't think that ones bad, especially in comparison. Now I'll need to take a closer look. Maybe that trainwreck of Diana Price drew my eye away from everything else.

Ultimate Spider-man 1 red cover - didn't like the cover, picked it up @ the LCS & flipped through it...saw Uncle Ben with a pony tail & put it back....didn't know who Bendis was.

Couple years later, I was enjoying Bendis' DD so decided to try USM in the early 20's & ended up paying lots o' money for my red & white copies of #1.

:cry:

Yeah, 177 definitely needs a sticky-note. Two, really.

Really? Supergirl? I don't think that ones bad, especially in comparison. Now I'll need to take a closer look. Maybe that trainwreck of Diana Price drew my eye away from everything else.

Yeah it's not as bad. Still, I hope Curt Swan and Al Plastino had words.

I will buy the ASM1 Ramos cover as it is the basic cover I will want in order to maintain my collection. I am more excited over the Marcos Martin cover. That is the one I think is the 'swellest'.

I kid you not, I can not bring myself to buy Strange Tales #110 even though it's one of the last "big Marvel keys" I still need.

The cover is just soooo bad, it's deterred me from spending the silly money on it to own it. It's really hindered my view on that book.

Yes, When I was buying new books, any cover the had manga or anime art.

I wouldn't even pick it up. It really upset me because i was a completionist, but couldn't stand to even look at the covers even if I was enjoying the writing before the art changed.

silver age covers were so creative. plus they used to ask kids what they liked to see on covers. resulted in a lot of DC gorilla covers.....now it's just BLAH and corny like that goofy spiderman cover above....

compare that to some steranko, smith, and swan covers....

I kid you not, I can not bring myself to buy Strange Tales #110 even though it's one of the last "big Marvel keys" I still need.

The cover is just soooo bad, it's deterred me from spending the silly money on it to own it. It's really hindered my view on that book.

ST110 is a great Torch cover.

ST110 is a horrible Dr Strange Cover

ps that spiderman seriously needs to see an oral surgeon about that mouth and a podiatrist about those feet....