• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS #39 CGC 8.5

21 posts in this topic

yeah - - this was one of the books I was tracking and agree its a nice pickup. There were a few other book sI would hav ebought at my prices - - if I had managed to get my bids in on time and been around for the floor auction.. Oh well, 10 grand not spent is like 10 grand earned I always say!! There will always be more books like streetcars..

right?

yeah - - this was one of th ebook sI was tracking and agre its a nice pickup. There were a few other book sI would hav ebought at my prices - - if I had managed to get my bids in on time and been around for the floor auction.. Oh well, 10 grand not spent is like 10 grand earned I always say!! There will always be more books like streetcars..

right?

It seems like Heritage is losing a bit of it's luster regarding Silver-Age books. It was a very weak auction (I didn't win anything). There were a few GA books I wanted that didn't meet reserve (so I feel good about not buying them).

If I really thought the TOS #39 would have sold that low, I probably would have bid.

It seems like Heritage is losing a bit of it's luster regarding Silver-Age books. It was a very weak auction (I didn't win anything). There were a few GA books I wanted that didn't meet reserve (so I feel good about not buying them).

I think Heritage's auctions since this summer have been pretty lame. What few nice books have been on offer have had extremely high reserves. Looking at the books that didn't sell from the November Signature auction, did ANY Gaines books sell? Do these books EVER sell? It seems like there's always a ton listed and a ton that don't sell, do they just keep getting recycled forever?

It seems like there's always a ton listed and a ton that don't sell, do they just keep getting recycled forever?

Ah, Yes!!!

I believe the seller paid a lot (though he hasn't made full payment yet), for these books from a very well known SA collector.

It seems like there's always a ton listed and a ton that don't sell, do they just keep getting recycled forever?

Ah, Yes!!!

I believe the seller paid a lot (though he hasn't made full payment yet), for these books from a very well known SA collector.

I'm just glad I wasn't one of the people who had labored for years to assemble a decent EC collection before the Gaines file copies emerged. Their world must have just turned upside down when those copies emerged, with so many gorgeous issues (and multiple copies of almost each issue, at that). How does one price a "GA" book when the median grade is 9.4 or 9.6? Amazing.

Big time!!! When they surfaced, I thought ECs would be killed, but surprisingly, prices skyrocketed. But it seems that of late, as expected, there ARE enough to go around, and everyone who wants one at the prices they sell for already HAS one, as evidenced by these same books failing to sell.

I would have stayed away from this copy based on the tanning along the right edge. I would worry about the book becoming brittle in the near future.

This is probably a good candidate for a quick flip, throw it on Doug's or Bob's site for $5,000 and watch it move quick.

Maybe, maybe not.

Bob had a JIM #83 in CGC 8.0 for $7,800 on his site two months ago. It is no longer there. So I think some people believe it sold for that amount. In reality, it was the copy that he put on eBay that sold for less than $5,500.

Don't make the mistake of thinking just because a book was removed from a site, that it sold, and sold for the list price.

Also, certain hard to find books (or pedigree copies that some collector just has to have) will sell quickly and for high prices. But, more common books, or non-pedigree issues don't necessarily get the same attention (and therefore the same price).

Bob shouldn't be upset.

1) It was a consignment book

2) He sold it under BlazingBob on eBay

3) The scans were big enough to see that it was the same Serial Number

Also, it's not like Bob said it sold for $7,800, it was just removed from his site, which to the uninformed person might make them believe it sold at full value. headbang.gif

This is probably a good candidate for a quick flip, throw it on Doug's or Bob's site for $5,000 and watch it move quick.

Maybe, maybe not.

Bob had a JIM #83 in CGC 8.0 for $7,800 on his site two months ago. It is no longer there. So I think some people believe it sold for that amount. In reality, it was the copy that he put on eBay that sold for less than $5,500.

Don't make the mistake of thinking just because a book was removed from a site, that it sold, and sold for the list price.

Also, certain hard to find books (or pedigree copies that some collector just has to have) will sell quickly and for high prices. But, more common books, or non-pedigree issues don't necessarily get the same attention (and therefore the same price).

could the JIM price rocket have run out of steam?? the last 2 sales of 8.0's (both in sept) went for less than the 2 others earlier in the spring.............

maybe we'll have to wait a few years for the Movie to come out??? tongue.gif

this may be the time to buy!!!!!

could the JIM price rocket have run out of steam?? the last 2 sales of 8.0's (both in sept) went for less than the 2 others earlier in the spring.............

maybe we'll have to wait a few years for the Movie to come out???

Prices went crazy early last year for Silver-Age Keys (I remember starting a thread).

Is it the time to buy?

If anyone has a JIM CGC 8.0 with Off-White pages in the $5K range, I got money burning a whole in my wallet. tongue.gif

maybe we'll have to wait a few years for the Movie to come out???

Prices went crazy early last year for Silver-Age Keys (I remember starting a thread).

Is it the time to buy?

If anyone has a JIM CGC 8.0 with Off-White pages in the $5K range, I got money burning a whole in my wallet. tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

you are either pleading poverty or have money to burn day by day...............

i'm getting my #83 graded soon. i think it has a great chance at an 8.0. save your money until next year........ grin.gif

and can i assume from this that the blazing one's copy had less than offwhite pages???

and can i assume from this that the blazing one's copy had less than offwhite pages???

No. It had at least Off-White pages and looked UNDERGRADED. If I hadn't bid it up, it probably would have sold for no more than $5,150. The really bad part is I found out who consigned the book to him and I would paid pretty close to the final sale price ($5,450) directly to the seller.

And another JIM #83 in the same condition and same page quality sold for exactly $5K also in September. The difference was the seller wasn't someone I knew (but had reasonable feedback), so I thought that affected the price.

So at this point prices are at least 10-15% below the February 2004 craze!!!

Never said you did anything differently.

I actually made the statement because I know someone who has a JIM #83 in CGC 8.0 and they wanted $8.500 for it. I can only assume that they were under the impression that the one on your site sold for $7,800.

The problem I have is that the one you sold looked REALLY NICE, and I'm kicking myself for not bidding higher. frustrated.gif