• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Overvalued Comic Out There...

98 posts in this topic

Hulk #181 for instance. Yeah it's common, but the fact that it still commands such high prices tells us that there is a very large demand for the first appearance of Wolverine. There always will be.

When you say a comic is overvalued, I think many collectors are really saying "Damn! I should have bought those when they were cheap. I hope they come down in price so I can justify buying another copy." smirk.gif

I disagree and in the case of extremely common books like Hulk 181 when I use "overvalued" I really mean:

"Damn! I would never pay that amount for this book and it is certain to come down in price in the years to come."

To say that 'there always will be" very large demand for the first appearance of Wolverine is a pretty bold statement and one that will ultimately be proven wrong. Nothing lasts forever.

Not forever, but a long time. As long as the X-Men are popular. 40 years and counting.

As far as the price coming down... only in very high grade (9.4+). I think it will continue to be over $1000 in 9.2.

Well, for a long while there they weren't too popular at all. They went thru a couple of years (if memory serves) of bi-monthly reprints, barely staying afloat, until #94 or thereabouts.

This is true, and they didn't really become popular until well into the Claremont/Byrne run. Retrospectively, the 94-up run is ultra popular, but at the time it took a while for the new team to take hold.

Well, for a long while there they weren't too popular at all. They went thru a couple of years (if memory serves) of bi-monthly reprints, barely staying afloat, until #94 or thereabouts.

This is true, and they didn't really become popular until well into the Claremont/Byrne run. Retrospectively, the 94-up run is ultra popular, but at the time it took a while for the new team to take hold.

I was going to say 30 years, but then I figured some SA fan would object. You just can't win. frown.gif

Anyway, my point was that the X-Men (Wolverine in particular) have been popular for a long time and with the movie franchise exposing a whole new generation, they will likely continue to be a fan-favorite. Thus, the twin keys of GSX 1 and Hulk 181 will continue to be in high demand for the foreseeable future. End of transmission.

smirk.gif

I couldn't agree with you more on this one. I am a completist, but also a realist. I have been collecting Batman and Detective for almost 30 years now. A full run of Batman is pretty easy, even today if you are willing to go VG on average and have the capital. Detective, on the other hand, is out of my realm now so I have given up and only go for key cover. I seriously doubt there are more than a dozen or so Detective completist out there. I am guessing something similar for Adventure, Action, etc. By completist, I mean true completist, not someone that decides today to do a run of Actions and tomorrow decides to move over to Adventure. I also doubt there are too many Timely completist, so just key cover collectors also. Only problem is, just about every cover is key! I think this is why so many high grade non-key Actions, Adventure, and World's Finest seem to sit.

I couldn't agree with you more on this one. I am a completist, but also a realist. I have been collecting Batman and Detective for almost 30 years now. A full run of Batman is pretty easy, even today if you are willing to go VG on average and have the capital. Detective, on the other hand, is out of my realm now so I have given up and only go for key cover. I seriously doubt there are more than a dozen or so Detective completist out there. I am guessing something similar for Adventure, Action, etc. By completist, I mean true completist, not someone that decides today to do a run of Actions and tomorrow decides to move over to Adventure. I also doubt there are too many Timely completist, so just key cover collectors also. Only problem is, just about every cover is key! I think this is why so many high grade non-key Actions, Adventure, and World's Finest seem to sit.

The thing about DC is that there are a lot more DC GA books than any other company. Think about it. Detective Comics #1-225. 225 issues in just 1 DC title. In TOTAL there are 430 Timely's, all titles combined, that's quite a difference! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

West

I would like to add the Wolverine "Origin" limited series to this list.

I recall seeing the number ones on the walls of local comic shops for over 100 dollars the week they were released and even recall seeing auctions of this go for 500 dollars.

Silly for a book that isnt even 5 years old.

On that note why is Ultimate Spiderman #1 white cover in HG selling for THOUSANDS of dollars???

/boggle

On that note why is Ultimate Spiderman #1 white cover in HG selling for THOUSANDS of dollars???

Because some people have more money than brains. screwy.gif

Is that better or worse than having more brains than money? confused-smiley-013.gif

Brains often result in the making of money? confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

After all, as illustrated by the above cases, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Is that better or worse than having more brains than money? confused-smiley-013.gif

Brains often result in the making of money? confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

After all, as illustrated by the above cases, a fool and his money are soon parted.

"A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place."

1885.jpg

Check out the new sig line laugh.gif

"A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place."

1885.jpg

27_laughing.gif Pretty sweet. Did you sign the petition of the Thundarr homepage to release it on DVD? I signed one for "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon, which I absolutely [#@$%!!!] loved as a kid. Some of TRG early episodes were written by J. Michael Straczynski strangely enough. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif Pretty sweet. Did you sign the petition of the Thundarr homepage to release it on DVD? I signed one for "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon, which I absolutely [#@$%!!!] loved as a kid. Some of TRG early episodes were written by J. Michael Straczynski strangely enough. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Found it... thumbsup2.gif

Thundarr Petition

I was curious to see what you guys think: What do you think is the most overvalued comic around? Since its a CGC board lets limit it to CGC valued comics, since a comic has different value, and not always of equal ratio, slabbed and unslabbed. NOTE: that I when I say overvalued I don't necessarily mean expensive, just overvalued.

Ill start:

I think ASM #300 is way overvalued. Its an '88 book, with probably thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of decent copies out there. Its cool that people are getting $400+ for it, but considering there are nearly 2000 slabbed, I think its greatly overvalued.

Opinions?

My vote goes to almost any modern comic in a CGC 9.8 holder. screwy.gif