• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Overvalued Comic Out There...

98 posts in this topic

I was curious to see what you guys think: What do you think is the most overvalued comic around? Since its a CGC board lets limit it to CGC valued comics, since a comic has different value, and not always of equal ratio, slabbed and unslabbed. NOTE: that I when I say overvalued I don't necessarily mean expensive, just overvalued.

Ill start:

I think ASM #300 is way overvalued. Its an '88 book, with probably thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of decent copies out there. Its cool that people are getting $400+ for it, but considering there are nearly 2000 slabbed, I think its greatly overvalued.

Opinions?

My vote goes to almost any modern comic in a CGC 9.8 holder. screwy.gif

Oh I don't know about that. They are getting pretty cheap. I recently paid $8 for an El Cazador #1 in 9.8. I paid $15 for Abadazad #1 in 9.8.

Most Overvalued: Every pre-1964 SA DC book (particularly those in 9.4 or above). Lame covers, lame stories. Sure they're hard to find, but so what, no one's looking for them! Time for OS and dealers to wake up and reduce prices by 50% across the board. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Most Overvalued: Every pre-1964 SA DC book (particularly those in 9.4 or above). Lame covers, lame stories. Sure they're hard to find, but so what, no one's looking for them! Time for OS and dealers to wake up and reduce prices by 50% across the board.

Why stop at 50%? How about 75%?

Can't hurt to ask.

grin.gif

Over valued in Overstreet versus what they actually sell for? Then yeah, the Fawcetts are a good choice. They sell okay for about $20, but most Fawcett collectors won't pay much over that. There was NO REASON for Overstreet to keep bumping up the price on those 5 % or so each year when no one was paying that. After 20 years of doing that the prices are so out of whack as to be useless.

Hulk 181, but way too many people want it and some aren't even serious collectors. I have a feeling many don't even know what the difference between very good and very fine is. As an auction nears its end bidding wars start happening constantly overvaluing every grade out there. Not to mention the impact movies and popularity play. IMO this puppy will just get more overvalued. Good news for sellers.

And lets not forget the COVER PRICE listing on many books BA to Modern in 9.2.

Most of these books are worth no more then 25 cent unless it's true NM or better.

FYI

Overstreet says that all of the comics listed at cover price have not as yet attained collector status and are in fact worth less than cover price. They go on to say the actual value is 20-50% of cover price or less.

"I would have to agree with the Hulk 181. Not only are they abundant but I recently saw a slabbed copy at my local retailer that was a 3.0 they were selling for $850 canadian."

well, that's zany

but abundant or not, the book gets around guide (give or take) in most grades

i thought it was absurdly overvalued 10 years ago... i guess it was in the $400s then ... so I traded my NM copy within 6 months of getting it for a VG+ Fantastic Four #5 and some assorted mid/low grade SA that probably guided around $150.

Hindisght is 20/20, maybe not the best move.

If your talking Oversteet then its about 99% of all non Golden Age books from VF and below.

Most Disney, funny animal books, humor

Most all Fawcetts, other than the keys and some of the Horror type/later covers...

Hulk 181,

Slabbed Byrne X-men 9.6 and under (Tons of em)

Most all of the Spider-man keys with a few early exceptions,

Those later Marvel Keys Iron Man 1, Sub 1, Sub/Iron Man 1, Hulk 102... Cap ....(Lots of em)

Swamp Thing 1, New Gods stuff....Lots of em....

Most all new Modern Stuff

HG Valiant.

Im sure there's more....