• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade of a Golden age book with a loose centerfold

8 posts in this topic

I was looking at a Heritage book, it is graded 6.0 and viewing the book close up by zooming in I agree with the grade. It presents nicely but has many defects that bring it down to a 6.0.

Then I note the label says the centerfold is loose.

Does this not affect the grade of a book? I thought it should.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7087&lotNo=93247&lotIdNo=134007&domain=comics#1095210952717

Opinions?

From ZZutak's (Jay's) label analysis thread above:

Blue Label Equivalents for Category 2:

Approximately 28% of the Green Label books in the HA archives have partially or completely detached covers, centerfolds, and/or wraps (Category 2 in the table provided above). Fortunately, many similarly flawed books have been encapsulated in Universal Grade holders, and some of those Blue Label examples are shown below. Since the detachment defect is the primary (or perhaps even sole) flaw, these high-grade examples reveal the approximate deduction that CGC takes for a specific detachment defect when it is not ignored. On this basis, it appears that: a lightly worn book with a cover detached at a single staple will have a Universal Grade of 7.0 to 7.5; a book with a completely detached cover will have a Universal Grade of 4.0 or lower (depending on the severity of its other defects); a pristine book with a centerfold detached at a single staple will have a Universal Grade as high as 9.2 or 9.4; and a lightly worn book with a completely detached centerfold will have a Universal Grade of 6.5 to 7.0. Note: DC comics from the mid-1960s were manufactured with relatively thin cover stock and are especially prone to suffering a “blown” staple.

It appears from the scan to be correctly graded, and hasn't received the necessary deduction. But in CGC's defense (at least with respect to their own apparent guidelines), they had the book in hand, and we are looking at scans.

Oh I can answer this from experience. 3 options

Option 1)

The book doesn't look that bad. Possible 7 and they dropped it a whole grade for the centerfold detached. What's acceptable in middle grades is a little scattered.

Option 2)

The book in their eyes is a 6.0 centerfold detached as it came and all.

Option 3)

During the restoration check/handling the centerfold was accidentally detached by the CGC resto checker (this happens...to me!) so CGC gave the grade a bit of a break or did not hold it against the grade and the owner got a surprise note when he got his case (like me!).

I was looking at a Heritage book, it is graded 6.0 and viewing the book close up by zooming in I agree with the grade. It presents nicely but has many defects that bring it down to a 6.0.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7087&lotNo=93247&lotIdNo=134007&domain=comics#1095210952717

Opinions?

How is your example any different from this ?

Why does one get blue, the other Green (shrug)

Opinions?

Depends on many factors

1) type of book and how it was bound - glued square bounds like the World's Finest will be graded different than a stapled cover, 1 staple books will be graded differently than 2 or 3 staple books

2) relative grade of the book - that Nova Scotia Batman book was likely put into a Green Label because it's fitting to note the high grade of a GA book than to just slam it down to a blue lable 6.0

3) the era of the book

Opinions?

If a book is high grade & the CF is detached CGC gives it a green labeled qualified grade. If it is not high grade CGC will give it a lowered blue universal grade.