• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ebay Buyer Problem - What would you do?

185 posts in this topic

So, I sold a copy of Preacher #1 on Ebay a couple weeks ago. The book was a SOLID 9.4 and I sold the book as NM.

The buyer only has 5 feedback, so a new buyer. I get a message saying that the book had a small spine tick on it and that he was not happy.

Is NM not a 9.4 anymore?

I send a message back explaining that when I sell as NM, that I don't mean 9.8. If I meant 9.8, I would say NM+. Right?

I said that I would be willing to refund the money as long as he sent the book back and that I would not be giving a partial refund, because I've done nothing wrong.

I get another message today saying he's not stupid enough to send the book back and hope that he gets a refund and then says he'll let PayPal handle it.

So my questions...can you not sell a 9.4 on Ebay as NM anymore because people expect 9.8s?

And also, what's my best course of action here. I sold a book as the right grade, shipped it and even offered a refund.

Thanks for any advice.

So, I sold a copy of Preacher #1 on Ebay a couple weeks ago. The book was a SOLID 9.4 and I sold the book as NM.

The buyer only has 5 feedback, so a new buyer. I get a message saying that the book had a small spine tick on it and that he was not happy.

Is NM not a 9.4 anymore?

I send a message back explaining that when I sell as NM, that I don't mean 9.8. If I meant 9.8, I would say NM+. Right?

I said that I would be willing to refund the money as long as he sent the book back and that I would not be giving a partial refund, because I've done nothing wrong.

I get another message today saying he's not stupid enough to send the book back and hope that he gets a refund and then says he'll let PayPal handle it.

So my questions...can you not sell a 9.4 on Ebay as NM anymore because people expect 9.8s?

And also, what's my best course of action here. I sold a book as the right grade, shipped it and even offered a refund.

Thanks for any advice.

Tell him to open a paypal case and when it asks you to choose an option hit refund upon return option.

Than paypal makes him return the book to you for a refund. (thumbs u

tewdriglawr

That's the Ebay ID.

The other issue was I posted the book when I was at work and said "Scan coming soon" and he bought it 10 minutes later or so.

Also, the person I bought the book from was a boardie. I bought it at Sci Fi Expo in Dallas, so I guess this guy thinks me and this other boardie are lying about 9.4.

The buyer also told me that the only way to get 9.4 is to pick a comic up from the printing press and instantly submit it.

he is wrong. period.

ps if he said that then why did he buy your comic? obviously you dont work in a print shop....he is a liar/scammer

Is NM not a 9.4 anymore?

Thanks for any advice.

The newer collectors think his way. NM isn't anything other than 9.8.

I have cgc graded 9.8s that still have a spine tic.

I have CGC 9.8's that have 3 CB ticks and tiny tears, but I digress.

In general, if you sell a book as NM on ebay and there are any easily visible problems, you will get buyers who are unhappy and think you overgrazed. Many people who buy raws don't conform with/are not aware of CGC grading standards.

i never assign grades. never. it's just asking for trouble. i describe it meticulously and might say 'looks like 9.4 to me'.

That's what I'll do then.

Honestly I'd rather have the book back. He got it for what might now be considered a little cheap.

Steel yourself, friend. That book's going to come back an 8.5.

sadly this is a good possibility. returned in an unbacked envelope. maybe folded.

Stock is right, this guy sounds vindictive. I hope you get it back the exact same condition as you sent it. That is why I hold my breath on the few times I sell anything.