• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comiclink auction scans...what gives?

27 posts in this topic

Ya why doesnt Link put back Scans. It seems for the value of alot of the books they have you would want to see the book in full. Wouldnt it increase the bids and overall make them more money.

Their model seems to be working in their minds...

If they have 1000 books in an auction and get 600 requests for scans, then they just saved manpower on 400 scanning and posting jobs (or more in the case where scan requests are duplicates).

They seem to realize market level (GPA level) auction prices with their model (occasionally 10-20% higher, occasionally 10-20% lower) so why change/invest in a new approach/website?

if it aint broke, or if it is broke but you are still making money, dont fix it!

Ya why doesnt Link put back Scans. It seems for the value of alot of the books they have you would want to see the book in full. Wouldnt it increase the bids and overall make them more money.

Their model seems to be working in their minds...

If they have 1000 books in an auction and get 600 requests for scans, then they just saved manpower on 400 scanning and posting jobs (or more in the case where scan requests are duplicates).

They seem to realize market level (GPA level) auction prices with their model (occasionally 10-20% higher, occasionally 10-20% lower) so why change/invest in a new approach/website?

if it aint broke, or if it is broke but you are still making money, dont fix it!

This. They may very well be making better margins on their sales than the sites that have better scans/features, and thus more overhead related to that technology, than Clink does. Their antique website has gotten them there, so there is no real reason for them to change a very successful business model that continues to work just fine in their eyes.

And on a different but related note - HA isn't supplying back scans below a particular price point anymore, well hasn't for a while.

And if you think their archived images will be free forever...I would say think again. Storing data costs, sure, but actually it costs less now than it ever did. It's the leverage that will give them the opportunity to turn it into a revenue stream. Grab them while you can (note to self).

I've long been surprised that Heritage hasn't started sweeping old images and auction results. As it is their data older than 1-2 years is pretty obsolete anyway, and is only good for making me want to cry when I see what books were going for not that long ago...

Update:

Comiclink got back to me today with all but one of the registration numbers. They said they didn't have access to that one. That was within one day, so I did appreciate the effort.

Still think the numbers should be included in the text, if they are avoiding high res pics to spare the server space/bandwidth.

My 2 cents

So I purchase the first set of graders notes after getting the registration numbers, then get the "notes will be emailed within one business day" note.

Oh Lord, now it's WILL I GET THE GRADERS NOTES IN TIME??

Oh well...whatever lol.