• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is going on with Low Grade Keys

46 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-12-G-First-Appearance-of-The-Juggernaut-Uncanny-/191068921180?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c7c985d5c

CGC 7.0-7.5 have sold for around 300-350

Walking dead .5 that went for rediculous money the other week

A Daredevil 1.5 PGX his 700

I just would like to know why these buyers are paying these prices when they could get a way higher grade and still slabbed

The consensus thus far is "because they can." These buyers have access to a fairly decent amount of discretionary income and this is how they choose to spend it. I can't understand it myself so I stopped trying.

"Some men just want to see the world burn." or in this case "Some men just want to see their money burn."

The consensus thus far is "because they can." These buyers have access to a fairly decent amount of discretionary income and this is how they choose to spend it. I can't understand it myself so I stopped trying.

"Some men just want to see the world burn." or in this case "Some men just want to see their money burn."

We keep assuming it is discretionary. People purchase things they can't afford all the time. It may be a case of someone not understanding the market, with the likely exception of the 0.5 WD #1, which seems (to me) more like a novelty purchase. Not everyone has a GPA membership or does adequate searches, even on eBay.

We keep assuming it is discretionary. People purchase things they can't afford all the time. It may be a case of someone not understanding the market, with the likely exception of the 0.5 WD #1, which seems (to me) more like a novelty purchase. Not everyone has a GPA membership or does adequate searches, even on eBay.

+1

A fool and his money…

Ignorance is…

I've noticed too low grade doesnt mean unsellable-there is a market for this stuff. I myself buy low grade when i just want the book and a decent copy is just too expensive. i have sold low grade lots for amazing amounts. Low grade shouldn't have such a stigma-they are in demand.

the WD 0.5 was definitely a money waster

i'm thinking like kirby thors in lg that sell for like $10 each issues 130-170

90-110 like $40-$50 ea

I understand buying low grades to save money but these people like the X-Men 12 could buy a CGC 6.0. For walking dead they have a 9.6 just over 1000 it just is so confusing to me. By all means save money and low grades are great but dont just throw away money!

sometimes it's a matter of availability.

they go on ebay with $500 to spend on a X-men 12, and the best they can get (in BIN offers) is a 4.5, they buy it, rather than wait for a 6.0 to come on the market, or in an auction.

Some people want to get what they want NOW, so they hit the BIN, thus why there are all the BIN fishers out there on ebay.

I understand buying low grades to save money but these people like the X-Men 12 could buy a CGC 6.0. For walking dead they have a 9.6 just over 1000 it just is so confusing to me. By all means save money and low grades are great but dont just throw away money!

sometimes it's a matter of availability.

they go on ebay with $500 to spend on a X-men 12, and the best they can get (in BIN offers) is a 4.5, they buy it, rather than wait for a 6.0 to come on the market, or in an auction.

Some people want to get what they want NOW, so they hit the BIN, thus why there are all the BIN fishers out there on ebay.

+1

People want what they want when they want it, and usually they want it NOW.

A lot of people aren't wise with their money. Plain and simple. There may only be one WD #1 CGC .5 known to the public, but that's only a matter of time. I can guarantee that the next .5 will sell around the $200 range, then that person who originally spent over $600 on that POS book will feel incredibly foolish, or at least should anyways. Besides, it's much easier to get CGC to grade your book at .5 than 9.9.

There's also flukes in the comic book selling world.

Your 100% right, but the logical and rational part of me refuses to believe that if you can't afford an issue that is hundreds of dollars, you don't look into it more.

I'd say that there is some satisfaction in owning a key, even if it is low-grade. My Incredible Hulk 181 would be about a 4.0, and it's missing the value stamp. I still have some pride of ownership in it until I can upgrade at some point...

I'm a low grade collector myself.

The majority of slab collectors seem to be focused on the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. Most people can't correctly grade mid/low grade books.

If the book is already graded they can look it up on GPA; however, if it's raw they have to grade it themselves. And they usually over grade it. They think books that are 6.0's are actually 8.0's, and books that are 1.5's are 4.0's.

I've seen lots of dealers over grade low grade books as well. 2c

Hey, there is nothing wrong with buying a low-grade key.

The issue is that these are going for more than the same book in much higher grades.

If you paid something near the going rate for a 4.0 with a missing value stamp it makes sense to buy it, if you paid the 8.0 price not so much.

I love the low grade books in my collection, but I try not to buy them for money that would get me the same book in a much higher grade.

I'd say that there is some satisfaction in owning a key, even if it is low-grade. My Incredible Hulk 181 would be about a 4.0, and it's missing the value stamp. I still have some pride of ownership in it until I can upgrade at some point...

check out this 'low grade' action lot-they actually look pretty good to me and thats an incredible price for a run like that. I'm tempted to buy it but i already own all those issues....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-301-350-miss-307-SET-Low-Grade-Superman-Supergirl-63-67-set-1447-/231101026349?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35ceb1d02d