• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man's Confession

4 posts in this topic

A bitter farewell

I'll apologize in advance for the crappy picture below. But onto the journal. I picked up the following book from Ebay for next to nothing. I know it's not an important book or some big key or anything. But I feel The Confession that wrapped up Civil War was an amazing, emotional piece about the conflict inside Tony Stark's mind.

In this book Iron Man comes to the helicarrier, as he's the current director of SHIELD, and goes into a small room. While in this room he talks out loud, going over how he saw the war coming and how the choosing of sides would be painful. He laments about the compromises and distrust among the heroes over time trying to do the right thing in many situations. But he knew that one of them would slip up and lead the government to start the superhero registration act.

Iron Man states that in some wars winning isn't always winning. Now that this war is over he won't be able to tell anyone that after everything that has transpired, it wasn't worth it. In this final scene it pulls back to show that Iron Man has been talking to the recently assassinated Captain America's body.

I've always felt that this issue held a lot of emotional weight and was great at getting it out. It gives you an inside look at the motivations and compromises made by Iron Man through the whole Civil War arc.

And as an unrelated follow on RIP Harold Ramis

15212.JPG

See more journals by meshuggah

I chose a side, and his name is Captain America. The Civil War was amazing, and I still have a hard time liking Iron Man even though that was years ago. It didn't help when he and the other Illuminati turned on Cap either. Cap is the moral compass of generations...rather than try and bury him, they need to learn to face their own shortcomings as people and as heroes. Wow, got deep didn't it? Ha ha.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

I grew up liking Iron Man over Cap. Cap to me was unrelatable... Maybe because he was so bland and morally righteous yet a War Hero whose seen blood spilled time and time again but I never got how he never got messed up from it. I understood Tony Stark and his ambitions... but I didn't approve of the way Marvel and Company made him the bad guy or the way he manipulated Peter Parker to reveal his secret identity. That was such a low point... almost diabolical.

To be honest, none of the heroes in Civil War seemed recognizable. These weren't the guys I grew up with... it was really a dark vision I honestly don't want to see again. Neither Cap or Iron Man seemed to make sense. Cap, for all intent and purposes was defending Vigilantism... while Iron Man was in favor of greater Government Control at the expense of Civil Liberties. Both sides it seemed were in the extremes. I'm just happy Caps back and Tony is more like his old self.

Thanks for sharing... that comic is pretty deep.

SW3D