• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man #1

57 posts in this topic

I agree Kev. But... I think that the problem could be solved simply by allowing an updating of all the origins. Not changing their basic story, but merely changing it a bit. Of course, in Cap's case, there isn't much of a need to do it. But... I think that it wouldn't hurt for Marvel to do this across the board. What makes it strange is it happening in one book only.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect example of a thread where a person ends up defending a position they don't agree with 100% like their life depends on it by strength of numbers alone. 27_laughing.gif

Same as you continually defending Ellis? 27_laughing.gif

Ellis didn't have to touch the origin. As you say...it was only one panel. Writers need to respect the characters, and back stories, regardless of whether they agree with them or not. It not their own universe to arbitrarily change things...

I'll say it again...

ANY writer can think up a decent story.

The GREAT writers are ones who can write a decent story using what gone on before without changing it.

Jim

The GREAT writers are ones who can write a decent story using what gone on before without changing it.

I don't agree entirely with that statement, but I certainly agree with the spirit of it. I think there are writers who are great that have completely changed stuff that has gone on before... BUT it's a trick rolled out far too often. Especially today, and especially by Marvel.

A lot of people would argue Meltzer is completely changing history. I would say he's more incorporating some new twists in old history....

today, everyone wants to have Gwen Stacy had an affair, or Spider Man's clone isn't really a clone, but remembers who might be, but then he's actually the real deal or the Scarlet Witch goes crazy, excpet it doesn't make any real sense and on and on and on....

nobody just writes a good story that's about the evolution of a character anymore.

Ellis on it

If I stuck with "what was there", then Stark would still be getting his injury in the Korean war theatre and duking it out with the evil Chinee. Since, unlike Captain America, Tony Stark doesn't have a cryogenic experience in his backstory and is expected to still be around thirty, the circumstances of his injury have been updated over the years -- from Korea to Viet Nam during the 80s, for instance. I moved the circumstances up the timeline again to keep the character viable.

They've already done this once? Is that true?

I agree Kev. But... I think that the problem could be solved simply by allowing an updating of all the origins. Not changing their basic story, but merely changing it a bit. Of course, in Cap's case, there isn't much of a need to do it. But... I think that it wouldn't hurt for Marvel to do this across the board. What makes it strange is it happening in one book only.

In otherwords, Ultimate-izing? confused-smiley-013.gif

ULTIMATEly, this is just another case of Marvel conceding to every superstar writer's ideas. Ellis wants it to be the Gulf War, Quesada says yes.

Zimmerman wants the Rawhide Kid to be gay, Quesada says yes.

Straczynski wants to have Gwen Stacy have pity sex with Norman Osborn and have kids, Quesada says yes.

Jenkins figures out a way to change Spidey's webbing to organic webs, Quesada say yes (more like YES PLEASE!)

Bendis wants to completely screw up the Avengers, Quesada says yes.

Straczynski wants to change Dr. Strange's origin, Quesada says yes.

Frank Cho wants to completely recreate Shanna from scratch, Quesada says yes (heh heh heh only if you make her topless.... oh wait a second, better draw over those).

See a pattern? What happened to the vaunted continuity editors, like Peter Sanderson and Ralph Macchio? Over-ruled by the boss.

ULTIMATEly, this is just another case of Marvel conceding to every superstar writer's ideas. Ellis wants it to be the Gulf War, Quesada says yes.

Zimmerman wants the Rawhide Kid to be gay, Quesada says yes.

Straczynski wants to have Gwen Stacy have pity sex with Norman Osborn and have kids, Quesada says yes.

Jenkins figures out a way to change Spidey's webbing to organic webs, Quesada say yes (more like YES PLEASE!)

Bendis wants to completely screw up the Avengers, Quesada says yes.

Straczynski wants to change Dr. Strange's origin, Quesada says yes.

Frank Cho wants to completely recreate Shanna from scratch, Quesada says yes (heh heh heh only if you make her topless.... oh wait a second, better draw over those).

See a pattern? What happened to the vaunted continuity editors, like Peter Sanderson and Ralph Macchio? Over-ruled by the boss.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif So what are you trying to say - that Quesada is a "YES!" man?

I'd add Gruenwald as one of the key continuity editors as well.

What's distressing is Quesada stated in one of his recent (within the last year) interviews the need for Marvel to get back on the continuity bandwagon. After seeing what's occurred since, I realize he'll say anything if he thinks it'll resonate well with readers. True or not.

Jim

Didn't he do even more than that? I thought he altered his origin in some way as well?

He tried to give Spidey's origin a "Swamp Thing" twist by making Peter's powers derived from an animal totem, in this case, a spider. He backtracked a bit by saying that while the Spider had selected Peter receive these powers, the spider that transferred them was irradiated and the process was altered. So he's not quite pure, he's still unique.

Take one part lonely nerd, two parts spider totem and one part radiation - voila! You have Spider-Man.

Plus they had JR Jr. draw Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy into the scenes where Peter remembers his time at Midtown high. Both characters debuted after Peter went to college.

Come on, this is becoming a little weird. Talking about a fictional character, in a fictional timeline as if he's real and must adhere to our reality. Call up Ian Fleming's estate and make sure they destroy all those old books and movies. Bond could never have been fighting during the Cold War and still young and active in the 21st century.