• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raffle vs Mystery Box - why is one ok and not the other?

45 posts in this topic

When I sell a mystery box, it is almost always one box at a time and people are bidding on that one box. When you are offering 100 books, and only a few are worth much more than the ticket price, that is a raffle.

A mystery box has one winner and a bunch of under-bidders. A raffle has one or two winners and a lot of losers.

I can't really rig who wins my mystery box auction. A person who wanted to could easily rig an raffle by choosing who gets what.

I'm not implying anyone has, or would, but they might.

Raffles are illegal in most states, mystery boxes are not.

If I'm not mistaken, raffles are typically legal as long as every entrant receives a prize. The prizes don't have to be equal in value.

just post a mystery box and say 'it contains a silver age book-I'm not saying what's in there, whether it's SPIDERMAN #1 or maybe the creeper #7 but I will say it's not creeper #7.

BAZINGA.

then put like some silver age Archie worth like $2 in it.

then post the next mystery box.

When I sell a mystery box, it is almost always one box at a time and people are bidding on that one box. When you are offering 100 books, and only a few are worth much more than the ticket price, that is a raffle.

A mystery box has one winner and a bunch of under-bidders. A raffle has one or two winners and a lot of losers.

I can't really rig who wins my mystery box auction. A person who wanted to could easily rig an raffle by choosing who gets what.

I'm not implying anyone has, or would, but they might.

Raffles are illegal in most states, mystery boxes are not.

If I'm not mistaken, raffles are typically legal as long as every entrant receives a prize. The prizes don't have to be equal in value.

Could be but the Mods have decided that there will be no raffle type sales on the boards so we've got to roll with the new rule.

thats weird cause all these topics on the forum are a crapshoot anyway....

Perhaps the way to circumvent that ruling is to make sure that every box is of equal value in terms of either cover price OR FMV of the book.

So... if one of the mystery boxes has a $100 slab in it the other mystery box could have 25 modern books with a $3.99 price tag.