• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pages that were never printed, future demand?

12 posts in this topic

I just ran across this article on bleeding cool:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/25/when-guillem-marchs-catwoman-was-just-too-naked-for-dc-comics/

and thought it was pretty cool that there's pages that were never printed and circulated. What does this group think future value of these pages would be and lucky to whoever gets the pages...lol.

Was Catwoman 12 feet tall in that issue?

One panel in particular sure looks like it.

That was only done to make her boobs bigger =)

To answer the OP.

Unpublished pages pop up from time to time. Sometimes they're re-worked with stats, sometimes they're done from scratch (as was this case).

The unpublished page, generally, is much less desirable than the published page. Depending on the content and artists the % will vary.

The only exception I can think of that may (keyword may) break that rule is when something huge happened IE when JB drew the pages (XM 137?) that Jean Grey didn't die vs what was published. But then again, I'm pretty sure they sold for less than the published pages. Or if the un-published was done by a more famous artist than the one that was used.

Unpublished is less desirable. If it's a variant that's close to the published piece so the eventually published cover piece is a "re-do" then it has a bit more appeal If it's interiors to a story that never seen the light of day, it depends on the artist and rendering itself.

Generally, many see the "unpublished" status similar to that of a "commission" or even "cover recreation" where it does not have the same prestige or clout as a published original piece, but still if the rending is good it's still valued and treasured, but as others have stated, generally leaps and bounds below the value of published counterparts.

Some unpublished pieces, while not priced as much as if they were published, still go for decent prices. For example, the George Perez pages from the first unpublished Avengers/JLA crossover.

$4,481

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7087&lotNo=92169#1095710957674

Wonder if they would have sold for more if the later crossover was never made

Interesting... I always felt that original work is great to have since it's a one of a kind artwork and was interested in the unpublished pages.

I might try to get a page if I can. Why not right?

Thanks for the reply's!