• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feared lost, original art of Wolverine debut found

77 posts in this topic

The cover.

Yes, I know it doesn't make sense.

I've posted this many times, but here we go again:

Back in the twisted past, comics were meant to be READ. Yes, people actually opened up the books and READ and ENJOYED the contents.

Fans would search for back issues to collect and READ about their favorite characters, usually working backwards from when the reader discovered this character. So if a New X-men fan wanted to go back and buy the early comic adventures of Wolverine, Hulk 181 would be by far the more attractive book to READ as it featured Wolverine in an entire issue of pulse-pounding fights between him, the Hulk and Wendigo, the latter being two of the most powerful beings on Earth.

Counter that with Hulk 180, including only a single panel of Wolverine, which if you are a fan or collector buying to READ about the early exploits of Wolverine, amounts to about 2 dead flies.

This...actually makes a lot of sense...

I am not talking about the past. That's in the past. Please, for the love of anything you hold dear, don't bring up the past.

In today's market, with 1st appearances of characters being the hot ticket to own, there is no reason IH 181 should sell for more than 180. Because IH 180 is Wolverine's first appearance. He is shown in full, interacts with the title character, and is named.

Make arguments all you want, however you want. Fact remains that IH180 is Wolverine's first appearance.

-slym

I am not fighting anything. I have said in other threads that the market has made its decision. I can't change that and I know it.

That still doesn't change the fact that IH180 is Wolverine's first appearance. It should be worth more, IMHO. I know it isn't, I can't change that, but that won't stop me from having an opinion.

:)

-slym

I am not fighting anything. I have said in other threads that the market has made its decision. I can't change that and I know it.

That still doesn't change the fact that IH180 is Wolverine's first appearance. It should be worth more, IMHO. I know it isn't, I can't change that, but that won't stop me from having an opinion.

-slym

I totally agree that Hulk #180 is Wolverine's first true appearance. However, "1st appearance" doesn't have to translate into Hulk #180 being the more valuable book. GSXM #1 is the first appearance of the new X-Men, but X-Men #94 is the tougher book to find in grade, and, hence, it's worth more (at least in the higher grades). X-Men Annual 14 was published before UXM #266, but that doesn't make it the more desirable book for the first Gambit. Hulk #180 preceded Hulk #181 by a month, but Hulk #181 had more and better Wolverine content, plus the great cover image.

You might have a stronger argument if Wolvie first appeared in Hulk #180 in the last panel and then didn't show up again until Hulk #281, where he was on the cover. But, Hulk #181 came out only a month later and featured loads of Wolverine, instead of just one panel. Even if it isn't the true first appearance, I can see why it's justifiably the more desirable and valuable book - there's no universal law that says the 1st appearance has to be worth more than the 2nd. 2c

I am not talking about the past. That's in the past. Please, for the love of anything you hold dear, don't bring up the past.

In today's market, with 1st appearances of characters being the hot ticket to own, there is no reason IH 181 should sell for more than 180. Because IH 180 is Wolverine's first appearance. He is shown in full, interacts with the title character, and is named.

Make arguments all you want, however you want. Fact remains that IH180 is Wolverine's first appearance.

-slym

X-Factor 5&6 is the exact same situation for Apocalypse, and todays market has made #6 the more valuable book.

X-Factor 5&6 is the exact same situation for Apocalypse, and todays market has made #6 the more valuable book.

Yep. I can't do anything about that, either.

-slym

Come on, these are little pieces of newsprint that sold for 25-cents to little kids and as a hobby, comics have been read and enjoyed for far longer than they have been entombed in plastic. There is no logic why Hulk 181 sells for $5K and Hulk 183 is in the bargain bin, so of course the past and long decades of previous history has everything to do with it.

If you don't understand that, then maybe it's time to sell all your comics and buy TPBs.

A lot of comics that are highly valued today have little to no link to current trends, and are valuable now because they've always been valuable, and probably will continue to be so. There are books that haven't meant anything to the current marketplace in decades, but past performance and history keep them chugging along.

Maybe I don't understand you, and you don't understand me.

You're just being incredibly unrealistic and expecting to somehow immediately erase decades and decades of collector and valuation history just because you feel that Hulk 180 is more important than Hulk 181.

Just ain't gonna happen unless you actively promote this stance for another 40 years.

And yes, you can have your "opinion" but screaming "Why isn't Hulk 180 worth more than Hulk 181 - it makes nose sense!!!" isn't an "opinion" it's a crazy question.

I have already stated that I know the market made its choice. I have already stated I cannot change it. I have already stated I am not fighting anything. I have already stated I am just voicing my opinion. I have yet to scream anything. My opinion is just that, an opinion, one that states that I think that IH180 should be worth more than 181 - not an "opinion." Please don't try to make my comments look to be in a negative light.

:shrug:

-slym (is not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy, if you already didn't know)

My opinion is just that, an opinion, one that states that I think that IH180 should be worth more than 181 - not an "opinion."

But when you add stuff like "it doesn't make sense." and "there is no reason IH 181 should sell for more than 180." it's no longer an opinion, but an unrealistic attack on the entire valuation system. There are lots of reasons, and many have been posted on here.

That's why people are posting "why" Hulk 181 has historically been worth more and why it's worth more today.

Those are my opinions, not an attack. If you take it that way, it's on you.

TO ME, it doesn't make sense, no matter how much you explain why it is that way. Again, if you think that is an attack, that's on you, and I can't do a thing about that, either.

:foryou:

-slym

Those are my opinions, not an attack. If you take it that way, it's on you.

:facepalm:

I didn't mean "attack" in that manner, obviously, but you are taking the direct stance that OS and all those who have contributed to Hulk 181's current valuation are clueless and that 40 years of history are meaningless.

If that's "just an opinion" it's an extremely strong and aggressive one. :insane:

I am as light as I can be, Esmerelda. If you really think I need to "lighten up" after someone called my opinion an attack and I let them know that isn't the case, then it isn't me that needs to "lighten up."

:foryou:

-slym

You sure don't sound like it. Perception is everything.

I know, I know. You don't care about perception. If I feel that way, it's on me. :blahblah:

Let's see - have I yelled or screamed anything as was said about me? No.

Have I made any threats or attacks on anyone? No.

Have I calmly voiced my opinion and only got the slightest bit defensive when someone called my opinion an "opinion," in an attempt to denigrate it? Yes.

So, I agree with you on one thing - if you feel that way, it is on you. I cannot make your perceptions.

-slym