• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feared lost, original art of Wolverine debut found

77 posts in this topic

Umm... Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this is the actual 1st appearance of Wolverine.

WOLVERINE DRAWINGS BY JOHN ROMITA, 1974. BLUE PENCIL ON THIN VELUM. SIGNED AND NOTED BY ROMITA. Yes, this is the FIRST drawing(s) ever of Wolverine (Also see the accompanied drawing). As Art Director for Marvel Comics, it was Romita's assignment to create the visual appearance of the new character (villain) that was written into the -script to battle the Hulk in issue #180 - 181. Called the "Wolverine", Romita envisioned him as small in stature, but ferocious by nature. The pair of velum sheets depict 2 head shots (front and side view), and two full figure shots (action and standing poses). I bought these directly from Romita many years ago. He told me that the head shots were the first drawings, followed by the full figure drawings. He made the notation on the head shots as he signed both sheets. I remember hesitating on making the purchase, as the drawings were no where near the quality of the Spider-Man pages that I was buying from him at the time. Of course, I'm glad that I did decide to buy them.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=253574

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=253576

That's a very cool story about giving the kid the original art. Wow.

:applause:

I thought it's kind of sad. :( This is the kind of thing Jack Kirby's wife Rosalind protected him from. Fans dropping by their house, later heading out the door with originals.

A warm and welcoming host, according to articles, but she kept a watchful eye on what pieces she allowed to walk out the door due to Jack's unbridled generosity.

I thought it's kind of sad. :( This is the kind of thing Jack Kirby's wife Rosalind protected him from. Fans dropping by their house, later heading out the door with originals.

A warm and welcoming host, according to articles, but she kept a watchful eye on what pieces she allowed to walk out the door due to Jack's unbridled generosity.

Giving a piece of OA 30 years ago was very different than giving it away today.

There was almost no market for it.

You could buy Neal Adams covers for $50 a pop, which is a far cry from the 5 or 6 figures they go for today.

Giving a piece of OA 30 years ago was very different than giving it away today.

There was almost no market for it.

You could buy Neal Adams covers for $50 a pop, which is a far cry from the 5 or 6 figures they go for today.

That's what makes it sad. And a bit ironic with a percentage of proceeds going to Hero Initiative.

Trimpe is what? Mid-seventies? I wonder if the art owner checked in with him to see how his retirement years are?

That's what makes it sad. And a bit ironic with a percentage of proceeds going to Hero Initiative.

Trimpe is what? Mid-seventies? I wonder if the art owner checked in with him to see how his retirement years are?

Gotcha. While I sympathize though, the owner has no obligation towards Trimpe. A gift is a gift and you never know what a gift will be worth in the future.

If a kid is gifted an Action #1 in 1939 at a NYC newsstand, and the kid still owns the book today does he owe that newsstand owner anything?

I haven't read the article. Does it say what percentage is going to Heroes?

Gotcha. While I sympathize though, the owner has no obligation towards Trimpe. A gift is a gift and you never know what a gift will be worth in the future.

If a kid is gifted an Action #1 in 1939 at a NYC newsstand, and the kid still owns the book today does he owe that newsstand owner anything?

I haven't read the article. Does it say what percentage is going to Heroes?

Nope. "Majority", so 51% or more.

And I agree the owner has no obligation. But it would be a return-kindness to at least check in with Trimpe, make sure he'll be ok.

It'd have to be like salt on a wound, to be elderly, struggling and have to watch something you created and gave away going for beaucoup bucks.

And I agree the owner has no obligation. But it would be a return-kindness to at least check in with Trimpe, make sure he'll be ok.

It'd have to be like salt on a wound, to be really struggling and have to watch something you created and gave away going for beaucoup bucks.

I wonder if they have reached out to Trimpe.

I always enjoyed chatting with him and his wife at shows (and at one point even his step mother was on the con circuit with them lol ). He's definitely a talkative person. Has Trimpe spoken on the subject?