• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smaller Than Average Books?

22 posts in this topic

I always wanted to ask this, so here goes:

I own a few BA ASM issues (that I think I bought all of them off the stands) that are a bit smaller than standard size. Not trimmed, just like 90-95% the size of a similar ASM issue, like they'd been shrunk or produced slightly different. The covers look *exactly* the same, with no trimming guaranteed, and like I said, I bought all, or at the least, most of these myself.

These are Canadian books in the 140's, and I was wondering if anyone had similar experience, like maybe a Canadian or border factory playing with the dimensions during that time?

This might be similar to the 'onion paper" New X-men in the 90's I have that have extremely thin paper inside.

You know, when I wrote this thread, I thought "I really hope some nimrod doesn't make a joke with sexual innuendo" and BINGO, it only took one post. doh!

You prefer two posts?

You know, when I wrote this thread, I thought "I really hope some nimrod doesn't make a joke with sexual innuendo" and BINGO, it only took one post. doh!

You prefer two posts?

Sure, at least one rational reply before the potty jokes.

You prefer two posts?

I thought my reply was a potty joke. :sorry:

You prefer two posts?

I have never seen a smaller sized Bronze Age Marvel. But maybe I just never bought a Canadian edition. But I have never noticed any for sale that seemed smaller either and I have every Bronze Age Marvel. (shrug)

I have a couple of X-Men in the high-90's with very thin paper, almost see-through, so somewhere they ran out of good paper or used a bad supply and produced these freakshow books.

I remember Dan/FlyingDonut commenting he'd seen these too, and in the same X-men issue range.

I have a couple of X-Men in the high-90's with very thin paper, almost see-through, so somewhere they ran out of good paper or used a bad supply and produced these freakshow books.

I remember Dan/FlyingDonut commenting he'd seen these too, and in the same X-men issue range.

Interesting. I will get to my XMen box later and check out the issues in the 90s to see if I have any like that....but I don't think I do.

Interesting. I will get to my XMen box later and check out the issues in the 90s to see if I have any like that....but I don't think I do.

While you're at it I think you should measure each of your comics to make sure you don't have any of the 5% smaller comics.

While you're at it I think you should measure each of your comics to make sure you don't have any of the 5% smaller comics.

It may not seem like much (and it's actually 5-10% smaller) but it's pretty obvious when you put them next to a comic backing board.

Have you compared it with another regular-sized copy? Is the cover missing some details? Are the margins smaller in the interior?

Not trimmed, just like 90-95% the size of a similar ASM issue, like they'd been shrunk or produced slightly different. The covers look *exactly* the same, with no trimming guaranteed, and like I said, I bought all, or at the least, most of these myself.

I have a feeling this is a Canadian thing, with maybe a secondary printer being brought in and not having the correct specs on the machines.

Have you compared it with another regular-sized copy? Is the cover missing some details? Are the margins smaller in the interior?

Not trimmed, just like 90-95% the size of a similar ASM issue, like they'd been shrunk or produced slightly different. The covers look *exactly* the same, with no trimming guaranteed, and like I said, I bought all, or at the least, most of these myself.

I have a feeling this is a Canadian thing, with maybe a secondary printer being brought in and not having the correct specs on the machines.

Actually I had the same kind of question. Not whether it was trimmed, but whether the art was smaller or if they just made smaller margins.

Everything is smaller, like it's a 90-95% perfect reproduction - it's almost guaranteed to be a different print run for Canucks those months, and they used the wrong specs.

Either that, or they used "shrinking paper" that slowly dropped 5-10% of its mass. :insane: