• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketchbook With Removable/Additional Pages Available?

5 posts in this topic

Is there a type of sketchbook available where the pages can be easily removable to give to an artist to sketch on and then re-attached/placed back into the book?

I like collecting sketches in a book but am getting weary leaving it with artists since then they can either 1. Get lost/stolen, 2. Unable to acquire more sketches in the book when it's stuck with one artist.

I don't like using blank/sketch comic book covers all that much since I like my sketches in one got-to place but I can't seem to find a sketchbook where the pages can be taken out/added back in.

Almost like a 3-ring binder style or something.

Any help would be appreciated.

If i were a convention guy I'd buy strathmore 500 series comic art board and a selection of archival pens and brush markers a couple of sharpie white pens and supply them to the artists. To be sure of the quality.

I think just having portfolio with both blank paper inside and your completed sketches is the way to go.

How big you go is up to you. It depends if you want to lug something bulky around or something more compact.

I think the 3 ring binder style is a bit lackluster in that the pages can tear out easy and the holes on the paper are sort of ghetto. You're better off with sleeve pockets, it protects the artwork surface better too.

Check this out for portfolios:

http://www.itoya.com/pht/Art_profolio_P.htm

Item# Sizes

IA-12-4 4" x 6" Photo size

IA-12-5 5" x 7" Photo size

IA-12-7 8" x 10" Photo size

IA-12-8 8-1/2" x 11" Art size

IA-12-9 9" x 12" Art size

IA-12-11 11" x 14" Art size

IA-12-12 11" x 17" Art size

IA-12-13 13" x 19" Photo size

IA-12-14 14" x 17" Art size

IA-12-18 18" x 24" Poster size

IA-12-A3 11-3/4" x 16-1/2" A3 Art size

You can buy the art paper at any art store or online, for example (below) and you can pick the type of paper by surface and thickness to your preference.

http://www.strathmoreartist.com/product-reader/items/200-bristol.html

PADS

Item# Size Description Sheets/Pad

25-629* 9" x 12" Asst. - Tape (9") 24

25-649 9" x 12" Smooth - Tape (9") 24

25-651 11" x 14" Smooth - Tape (11") 24

25-749 9" x 12" Vellum - Tape (9") 24

25-751 11" x 14" Vellum - Tape (11") 24

IA-12-A4 8-1/4" x 11-3/4" A4 Art size

Then, when you go to artists, you can just take out a piece of the paper, have them draw on it, even leave it with the and walk away to pick it up, then when you collect it, put it in your portfolio and it becomes your sketchbook that you can display your pieces in and easily move them around without the hindrance of being bound in a book and alleviating your fear of the book getting lost, damaged or stolen by leaving it with an artist.