• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny X-Men #256

32 posts in this topic

So my thoughts and feelings with the insanity that is Psylocke and her early "British" appearances is that it's all fine and dandy but until she becomes Psylocke in an Asian body no one cares. Do the cosplayers dress up as British ladies with Psi blades coming out of their hands? Hardly. The character is unrecognizable to most fans until this issue. I've seen posters around my office here at a fortune 500 and they show an asian lady with a skimpy outfit. (yes, we have quite a few nerds working here) Heck, as a kid growing up I didn't even realize she was British until sometime in the 2000's. If I were to tell the people with posters that she's British or the cosplayers who dress up as here that they have it all wrong - they'd lock me up in a loony bin.

I wish CGC would put "1st 'New' Psylocke" on the label or something. This is as an important issue to Psylocke as Marvel Premiere #1 is to Warlock over in the Bronze Age thread.

There, I said my piece. :grin:

-In the spirit of Transparency, I just bought a CGC 9.8 copy because I believe in the book. :foryou:

Yeah, I have been slowly picking up a bunch of raws or cheap. Not sure how much 9.8s are going for but I believe this book is undervalued. I picked a 9.8for $50 over the summer.

This book is more key than new mutants annual #2 IMO. Since this is the defining point and becomes the psylocke that we know today. Captain Britain #8 should rank at the top though in terms of most valuable.

Second Jim Lee art. Sexy, sexy, sexy book.

Makes no sense whatsoever...but sexy nonetheless.

:cloud9:

And it's about as close to a "key" as JL has done an interior on for the big 2.

I guess you could somehow say something in Hush :shrug:

which is kind of a sad statement.....

The thing I find funny about NMA2 is you could have someone open it up, ask them who is Psylocke without reading the words and they may not figure it out.

I would much rather own a UXM 256 than a NMA2, Although truth be told I have little desire to own either.

I picked up #256 a while ago for exactly the same reason. It's the first time she appears in the guise she is most famous for.

New Mutants Annual #2 wasn't as appealing to me as X-Men #256. Still don't have one and I might never.

It's a shame she isn't in the sexy new costume on the cover.

Second Jim Lee art. Sexy, sexy, sexy book.

Makes no sense whatsoever...but sexy nonetheless.

:cloud9:

And it's about as close to a "key" as JL has done an interior on for the big 2.

I guess you could somehow say something in Hush :shrug:

which is kind of a sad statement.....

Back in the early-mid 90s, when creators (specifically, artists) were almost as important as characters in terms of collectability (well, not quiet, but close enough), Jim Lee's first UXM work (#248) was a pretty hot issue and one could argue that it was considered a "key".

Same for his first Marvel work in general (Alpha Flight #51), at least for a very short while.

The thing I find funny about NMA2 is you could have someone open it up, ask them who is Psylocke without reading the words and they may not figure it out.

I would much rather own a UXM 256 than a NMA2, Although truth be told I have little desire to own either.

I have always been a fan of the UXM 256-258 storyline with Psylocke's transformation. And it has the Mandarin to boot.

I read somewhere that Wolverine was supposed to be the brainwashed hero that becomes a pawn of the Mandarin-Matsu'o alliance. Much better for fans of Psylocke the creative team didn't follow this path. And what amazing covers!

o3IXXc8l.jpg

D0MnHnxl.jpg

l0OoPKEl.jpg

:applause:

Hardly. The character is unrecognizable to most fans until this issue. I've seen posters around my office here at a fortune 500 and they show an asian lady with a skimpy outfit. (yes, we have quite a few nerds working here) Heck, as a kid growing up I didn't even realize she was British until sometime in the 2000's.

The problem lies in the fact that younger readers met the character precisely when it was altered – one could say with good reason – almost beyond recognition.

When afterwards she was written by Claremont or Louise Simonson, they kept memory of all the character's developments, but then Marvel started to despise characters' consistency and concepts in favor of fads or short term sales, and of course most of them pretty quickly became no longer recognizable.

I can’t see why you would appreciate to this point an issue that clearly represents the start of a deprecable approach, meaning little care for both Psylocke and the characters at large.

I understand you read them as a kid, but again, a little criticism should have allowed you to evaluate them better by now.

Hardly. The character is unrecognizable to most fans until this issue. I've seen posters around my office here at a fortune 500 and they show an asian lady with a skimpy outfit. (yes, we have quite a few nerds working here) Heck, as a kid growing up I didn't even realize she was British until sometime in the 2000's.

The problem lies in the fact that younger readers met the character precisely when it was altered – one could say with good reason – almost beyond recognition.

When afterwards she was written by Claremont or Louise Simonson, they kept memory of all the character's developments, but then Marvel started to despise characters' consistency and concepts in favor of fads or short term sales, and of course most of them pretty quickly became no longer recognizable.

I can’t see why you would appreciate to this point an issue that clearly represents the start of a deprecable approach, meaning little care for both Psylocke and the characters at large.

I understand you read them as a kid, but again, a little criticism should have allowed you to evaluate them better by now.

The character is extremely popular now as an Asian assassin. We cannot debate that. We can argue that Marvel may have treated her past poorly and that's entirely your point of view.

Personally, the Psylocke that appears in Uncanny X-Force is the character that I love and will get behind.

The character is extremely popular now as an Asian assassin. We cannot debate that. We can argue that Marvel may have treated her past poorly and that's entirely your point of view.

Personally, the Psylocke that appears in Uncanny X-Force is the character that I love and will get behind.

Love the last line lol

I liked the original Psylocke in New Mutants and Mutant Massacre. I even liked the purple chainmail version of Psylocke. But I always felt the ninja version was ridiculous and dopey. The bizarre Kwannon nonsense certainly didn't change my opinion on that.

Bring back the real Betsy Braddock!

:sumo: