• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is considered "THE KEY" Copper Age Comic Book?

58 posts in this topic

Gotcha. I didn't think you were actually arguing that Albedo 2 was the key CA book; but rather that you preferred that book over others.

Exactly! This book is the Copper Age key for me.

Since it was a very quick discussion... would anyone be interested in a twist on the question?

WHICH COPPER AGE BOOK WOULD YOU RATHER OWN EVERY CGC SLABBED COPY?

hm

ASM 300. With hundreds of thousands of copies more than TMNT #1, the total dollar value would dwarf the value of all slabbed TMNT #1.

Since it was a very quick discussion... would anyone be interested in a twist on the question?

WHICH COPPER AGE BOOK WOULD YOU RATHER OWN EVERY CGC SLABBED COPY?

hm

ASM 300. With hundreds of thousands of copies more than TMNT #1, the total dollar value would dwarf the value of all slabbed TMNT #1.

Well, there aren't hundreds of thousands of slabbed copies... but it is definitely a good choice for total value.

Owning every slabbed copy of any book is rather silly. More could be slabbed. So the question boils down to owning "every copy" of an issue.

If someone had every copy of TMNT #1. Would it be as sought after?

I mean. Let's say someone had every copy of Maxx black #2. Would it be highly sought after? If someone had every copy of IronMan/Surmariner #1, would it be sought after and coveted?

Nope, I think not.

But still. When it comes to copper age. I would like to own every copy of TMNT #1. Even though it is a silly proposal. Because what would be the benefit of owning them all? Value? So, let's say that I sell on for big bucks, and now I no longer have them all. Then I sell the second one for big bucks, and poof. There goes my "owning them all".

Pretty soon they are in many hands, and we are back to where we are right now.

What if there existed 40,000 copies of TMNT #3, and one person owned all of them? Would it be worth more or less than it currently is? What would it be worth if "that guy" sold ten of them to the general public? What would the value of his remaining 39,990 copies be then?

I predict that in a year or two, the OP will look at his posting history and have the below reaction to this thread.

lol...

You predicted Obama was going to be our first 1st black President too huh...?

Well L@@k,

If in 2yrs I'm scrolling through my posting history it's only because I will be posting a pic of my newly acquired 1st printed TMNT #1 here and everywhere else i choose to:)

Oh yea...because i "predict" it would take me that long to aquire one in a nicely graded CGC slab as well:)

Owning every slabbed copy of any book is rather silly.

Yes, but it's a question of "market cap" (total collective value).

ASM 300 is worth significantly less than TMNT 1... but that's probably because there are so many of ASM 300.

So, if you take the quantity variable away...

the "collective value of CGC ASM 300" as a single calculation (all slabbed copies) is one dollar amount

and the "collective value of CGC TMNT 1" as a single calculation (all slabbed copies) is another dollar amount.

Which is better?

Is there another Copper Age book that's higher than either of these two?

Now... what do we do with this information?

I'd say it's a valid test of "overvalued" and "undervalued".

What is the total historical, cultural, nostalgic, etc., importance of certain books?

The only way to put a dollar amount on it is to put a total dollar amount.

ASM 300 would be a much more expensive book if they had only printed 10,000.

How do we know? Because a chromium reprint from 10 years later is more expensive than the real thing.

lol

This is really depressing. The best that Copper Age can come up with is a couple of turtles. And now there's a raccoon getting a lot of attention lately. Sad I tell you.

Raccoon is bronze age. :grin:

Actually, the best that the Copper Age can come up with is an independent, low print, hand-stapled parody (and social commentary) of the "taking-themselves-too-seriously" DC and Marvel books of the day, which created an empire of comics, toys, movies, and cartoons continuing to this day... and saw many imitators, parodies-of-the-parody, and independent books rise from nowhere, giving strength to the idea that creator-owned properties could be the path to success... instead of nothing but third and fifth decade repeats.

That's all.

Actually, the best that the Copper Age can come up with is an independent, low print, hand-stapled parody (and social commentary) of the "taking-themselves-too-seriously" DC and Marvel books of the day... and saw many imitators, parodies-of-the-parody, and independent books rise from nowhere, giving strength to the idea that creator-owned properties could be the path to success... instead of nothing but third and fifth decade repeats.

Actually, Cerebus was Bronze Age. :grin:

Actually, the best that the Copper Age can come up with is an independent, low print, hand-stapled parody (and social commentary) of the "taking-themselves-too-seriously" DC and Marvel books of the day... and saw many imitators, parodies-of-the-parody, and independent books rise from nowhere, giving strength to the idea that creator-owned properties could be the path to success... instead of nothing but third and fifth decade repeats.

Actually, Cerebus was Bronze Age. :grin:

That's true, but I was at a store the other day looking for the aisle of Cerebus toys, videos, cartoons, and comics... couldn't find it.

Misogynistic rant literature just doesn't work well on kids.

That's true, but I was at a store the other day looking for the aisle of Cerebus toys, videos, cartoons, and comics... couldn't find it..

And before the latest movie, I haven't seen TMNT toys in years - and I regularly take the kids/nephews/cousins to the WM/Target?TRUS action figure aisles. I believe the last version was 2006-7.

And obviously my point was that TMNT wasn't any big Indie Trendsetter, as Cerebus led the way and later Pacific, Epic, et al were the trend-setters. TMNT just happened to be one of the more popular bandwagon-jumpers.

That's true, but I was at a store the other day looking for the aisle of Cerebus toys, videos, cartoons, and comics... couldn't find it..

And before the latest movie, I haven't seen TMNT toys in years - and I regularly take the kids/nephews/cousins to the WM/Target?TRUS action figure aisles. I believe the last version was 2006-7.

And obviously my point was that TMNT wasn't any big Indie Trendsetter, as Cerebus led the way and later Pacific, Epic, et al were the trend-setters. TMNT just happened to be one of the more popular bandwagon-jumpers.

Agreed. There are usually shoulders that the winners get to stand upon.

It's likely that Cerebus would be considered just a later underground with a little commercial success by a lot of those collectors... standing on the shoulders of Crumb.

It's likely that Cerebus would be considered just a later underground with a little commercial success by a lot of those collectors... standing on the shoulders of Crumb.

But Crumb works for other comic companies, right? Sim was a real pioneer for self-published, fully creator-owned comics, which was what I was referring to.