• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Tony the Tiger actually Tawky Tawny

8 posts in this topic

You Decide

I'm a big fan of Captain Marvel and the Captain Marvel Adventures but I've only read a fraction of them because few have been reprinted. They're in the public domain and there are legal cd's with all the issues scanned but I never went out and purchased one. Yesterday I found a website called ComicBookPlus that offers public domain comics for viewing and I decided to actually read the comics I own and add expanded descriptions to my issues. I was reading through a story called "Mr. Tawny Loses Faith In Mankind" in issue 96 where Mr. Tawny's likeness is used to sell products including a breakfast cereal where he declares, 'It's Great'. At first I assumed this was a parody of Tony the Tiger except that Tony the Tiger was first created in 1951 and this comic was published in 1949. Coincidence or more? You decide.

15231.JPG

See more journals by David Swan

thanks for the insight. This has nothing to do with the post but I always remember the Life cereal commercial...Mikey likes everything. My parents never gave us sugar cereal and I still love Life but have to eat it fast or it gets soggy