• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric Stephenson's speech

62 posts in this topic

We print variants because people buy them.

:facepalm:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. If Eric really sees that as a problem then Image has the power to stop releasing hem as opposed to passing the buck and expecting buyers to stop buying.

Eric's speech made me feel dirty.

I facilitated the purchase of over 100,000+ Image variants in the last calendar year.

This year I'll buy considerably less.

Maybe none.

*shrug*

Always considered shop variants branding,a savvy business move.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. If Eric really sees that as a problem then Image has the power to stop releasing hem as opposed to passing the buck and expecting buyers to stop buying.

I facilitated the purchase of over 100,000+ Image variants in the last calendar year.

Maybe none.

*shrug*

The creators that I speak with think very highly of your support with the variants. Your name has come up more than once when it comes to getting a series off the ground. (thumbs u

Eric is off base to approve variants while at the same time claiming they are bad for long term growth. Make up your mind. Actions speak louder than words.

Maybe none.

*shrug*

The creators that I speak with think very highly of your support with the variants. Your name has come up more than once when it comes to getting a series off the ground. (thumbs u

Eric is off base to approve variants while at the same time claiming they are bad for long term growth. Make up your mind. Actions speak louder than words.

That's very nice to hear.

Thanks!

If you want a DC book featuring Batman for kids you have to go for the really 'cartoony' titles like Lil' Gotham.

This books is great! One of the best covers I've seen in a while, I love this book! (But I'm a huge Hanna-Barbara dork too)

DSC00679_zps51dafcee.jpg

The problem today isn't the books themselves, it's that kids don't read. They're too busy on their iDevices and portable gaming units. Why read when you can get the high score on Scooter McMuffin 3D or jam out to the latest offering of audio smut by Miley Virus?

Yep, I need to get one of those Scoobys!!

Not for my kids though, but for me, haha.

Agreed.

Let's look at Nowhere Men #1. How many of the color variants were printed because people ordered them?

Blue? Nope. That was a retailer giveaway.

Orange? Nope. Cbldf charity book.

Green? Arguably. It was just a cover slapped on a reprint to get the completionists to buy an otherwise undesirable later printing to keep the color set going.

Purple? Nope. That was some kind of VIP giveaway.

And of course Thought Bubble was a con exclusive and even that cover was varied for the book's second printing.

These weren't retailer incentives or books produced because the public demanded them. These were variants for the sake of variants produced to generate hype and speculator frenzy because of their 'limited' runs. Of course this belies a lack of understanding of the cumulative effect a metric fckton of variants actually has on a book's aftermarket value.

And now that ES sees the backlash, he wants to run and hide behind a wall of blame. Blame retailers for over ordering the product you provide as a reward for over ordering. Blame consumers and specs for over-preordering to get retailers to pass along the same product?

I really don't care one way or another, but the BS is thick here.

Blah

I sometimes wonder if Image is trying to frustrate the collectibles side of the market to the point of giving up. Quite a few variants and hoops to jump through to get them while possibly thinking they shouldn't even make them because it hurts long term growth. Why wouldn't the primary market embrace the support of the secondary market? I've never understood this.

Exactly. Picture the same justification coming from Marvel and DC in the early '90s: 'We print gimmick covers because people buy them.'

Yup, they buy them. Until they don't. Until they tire of the gimmickry and lack of substance. Until the train goes off the rails like it did in 1994.

I hate variants, but couldn't the multiple #1's for Nowhere Men also be due to its limited print run?

There were 9 different covers for NWM #1. I don't believe that was the case. Cash grab, which is fine by me but it is what it is.

I hate variants, but couldn't the multiple #1's for Nowhere Men also be due to its limited print run?

There were 9 different covers for NWM #1. I don't believe that was the case. Cash grab, which is fine by me but it is what it is.

Yup-- just throwing it out there. I despise them as to me it's like printing money. Walking Dead #1 has got to be close to 15-20 reprints at this point. We keep buying, though!

Yup-- just throwing it out there. I despise them as to me it's like printing money. Walking Dead #1 has got to be close to 15-20 reprints at this point. We keep buying, though!

lol

It's true. They keep printing and we keep buying. I have personally become very choosy about which covers I buy anymore. I was guilty of buying several different NWM covers. Fool me once...

If I had a new book on the stands I wouldn't want to over print it and lose money. If it sold out I'd do a reprint especially if there was a demand. Again I wouldn't want to over print it and lose money. Repeat.

Stores kept selling out of the NWM reprints so why not keep reprinting to keep the book available. Especially if it's a #1. If someone wants to try a new book #1 is a good place to start.

It's not all about a cash grab. It's about keeping your book available to new readers or people that want to try a new book. And not over printing a book and losing money.

NWM was selling a lot of copies to flippers so the casual readers going to LCS's couldn't get them unless they went early enough in some areas.

Thought Bubble, Purple, CBLDF, and Comicspro didn't hit the shelves. East of West #1 1st print was available at Midtown for cover or less for 4 months after the 4th print came out. I still see it as a cash grab but I don't blame them for doing it. I do see it as more than a little hypocritical coming from him. Do as I say, not as I do ? Yep.

Thought Bubble, Purple, CBLDF, and Comicspro didn't hit the shelves. East of West #1 1st print was available at Midtown for cover or less for 4 months after the 4th print came out. I still see it as a cash grab but I don't blame them for doing it. I do see it as more than a little hypocritical coming from him. Do as I say, not as I do ? Yep.

Actually I see it quite differently.

I think he's saying. Stop being stupid consumers of my products and we'll stop our cash grabs.

He pretty much says as long as customers and stores are willing to play the game, they'll play.

I think he's saying. Stop being stupid consumers of my products and we'll stop our cash grabs.

He pretty much says as long as customers and stores are willing to play the game, they'll play.

That's laughable... That's like a politician that blames the electorate for him being a corrupt politician by saying... If you would stop putting people like me in office we wouldn't be able to amass all this power you are giving us.

See my comments above.

Marvel agreed with this line of thinking in 1993. Result: Chapter 11.

That's laughable... That's like a politician that blames the electorate for him being a corrupt politician by saying... If you would stop putting people like me in office we wouldn't be able to amass all this power you are giving us.

What's laughable, his rationale, or the fact that sadly, if there was another NWM #1 variant that was super limited, a bunch of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons are going to keep buying it.

Take Walking Dead #100 for example. You had a 1:200 variant announced months before. People were paying $300 raw for it prior to it even launching. Then the all black retailer cover that was limited to 500 came and trounced that. Then, the super rare ComicsPro Ottley cover (which went for $650-700 when it came out). Then five months later, a red foil Lucille edition that was limited to $250. It just stop because they can do it. Good for them for making money. And good for the people who collected. The irrationality is shared.

His rationale is laughable because rather than take control of the situation he chooses to pass the buck and continue to contribute to what he sees as a problem. It boils down to "I know you are but what am I?"

The Thught Bubble hit the shelves here.........and I passed on them as I did not buy any variants at the time. :tonofbricks: