• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Off!

46 posts in this topic

(Disclaimer: Please read with humorous tone that is intended.)

So, I just bought - like - the coolest comic book - ever - from the Clink auction (it's WW 1 CGC 8.0 White pages - just sayin')...

... and now I want a few select people - friends, family, people I see on the street, everyone on the Internet - to know, and think I'm the coolest guy on the planet for owning it and having the incredible wisdom to spend $25K on a comic book. :acclaim:

So I'm thinking ... to let people know, do I go up to a girl at the bar and say "so, I've got the hottest chick on the planet in my safe, want to come over and see..." - yeah, that probably won't work... :kidaround:

It got me thinking - in a world of non-comic-book collectors, how do you share your joy (and your prized possessions)? What's your unique way?

Don't bother. I've tried numerous variations over the last 45 years, and if your audience isn't already one of The Select then you get reactions from *shrug* to "Beat it, creep."

Why bother, when you can brag it up to a large receptive audience right here on the Boards?

Post a scan here!

Post a scan in Golden Age!

People will throw themselves at your feet, salaaming like crazy.

It got me thinking - in a world of non-comic-book collectors, how do you share your joy (and your prized possessions)? What's your unique way?

The most effective way that I've found is to hide this secret shame deep deep down and, if ever cornered, deny it to your last breath.

merely tell chicks at a bar that you can afford to spend $25,000 on a comic book and that should do it.

...but if I told a random group of 20 people that I just bought a new truck a minimum of 15 would barge out to the parking lot, and a half dozen would insist on taking a ride. Go figure....

I just bought - like - the coolest comic book - ever - from the Clink auction (it's WW 1 CGC 8.0 White pages - just sayin')...

(worship)(worship)(worship)

See? SEE?

Salaams aplenty

...but if I told a random group of 20 people that I just bought a new truck a minimum of 15 would barge out to the parking lot, and a half dozen would insist on taking a ride. Go figure....

I once bought a 1945 phone and people insisted on "talking" on it....oooook

We're all kids at heart

I show my wife the OA I bought and she smiles.

I tell my FIL how much I sold the comics for.

He spins on his heels and walks out the office

The heck with the truck, give me the book, I want to read it.

The heck with the truck, give me the book, I want to read it.

Are we still talking about the hypothetical truck, or being able to physically hold WW1 and skim through it while sipping on a fountain poured Cold diet pepsi?

So, I just bought - like - the coolest comic book - ever - from the Clink auction (it's WW 1 CGC 8.0 White pages - just sayin')...

Too bad it isn't her first appearance...

Ah, you AS8 owners are all the same... :kidaround:

merely tell chicks at a bar that you can afford to spend $25,000 on a comic book and that should do it.

:devil: Indeed! (Although I probably shouldn't say indeed when talking to a chick at the bar ...)

:devil: Indeed! (Although I probably shouldn't say indeed when talking to a chick at the bar ...)

I was kinda joking but am pretty sure it would actually work. I had a buddy who at bars the first thing he would say is 'I have two houses and 5 cars' (he neglected to mention 4 of the cars weren't running, the houses were mortgaged and one was inherited and he was unemployed) and unbelievably this line worked almost every time.....

any guy that could drop $25K on something most people see so frivolous as a 'funny book' would be highly attractive in the bar scene I believe....

just don't talk about the book-talk about the MONEY you spent on it....

If you go into a history of Dr Wertham and Marsten's creation of Wonder Woman as a reaction you will be TOAST....